Rounding Issues

sawyersweetman

Plus
How to round a number that results from an equation?

I had chat GBT right this.

Im having trouble getting the "shares" result to be a round number

input length = 14;

def dailyAtr = reference ATR(length);

def atrDividedBy4 = dailyAtr / 4;
def result = round(10 / atrDividedBy4);

# Plotting the result of ATR / 4 as a chart label on the 1-minute chart

AddLabel(yes, "STOP: " + AsText(atrDividedBy4, NumberFormat.TWO_DECIMAL_PLACES), Color.GREEN);

AddLabel(yes, "SHARES: " + AsText(result), Color.CYAN);

Solution
Im not getting it,

def result = round(20 / atrDividedBy4,0);

Im getting for ex. 25.00 used to be 25.5

I had a look at the floor and ceil but they seem to just round aswell without removing the digits.

How do i make this is integar, Not a whole number, forgive my previous poor parlance

@sawyersweetman
several issues,
you are confused on the use of rounding functions and addlabel.

you are asking basic questions, that a couple minutes reading the online manual will solve.
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Functions/Math---Trig/Round
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Functions/Math---Trig/Floor...
How to round a number that results from an equation?

I had chat GBT right this.

Im having trouble getting the "shares" result to be a round number

input length = 14;

def dailyAtr = reference ATR(length);

def atrDividedBy4 = dailyAtr / 4;

# Plotting the result of ATR / 4 as a chart label on the 1-minute chart

AddLabel(yes, "STOP: " + AsText(atrDividedBy4, NumberFormat.TWO_DECIMAL_PLACES), Color.GREEN);

AddLabel(yes, "SHARES: " + AsText(result), Color.CYAN);

sorry, i have no idea what you are trying to do , or what you expect to see, or what is wrong.

round is a basic function, that is easy to look up and understand. although i will say, that the example is overly complicated and confusing.
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Functions/Math---Trig/Round

why do you have 10/ ... ?

There is supposed to be a second parameter that lists how many digits to the right that the rounding will do.

Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

sorry, i have no idea what you are trying to do , or what you expect to see, or what is wrong.

round is a basic function, that is easy to look up and understand. although i will say, that the example is overly complicated and confusing.

why do you have 10/ ... ?

There is supposed to be a second parameter that lists how many digits to the right that the rounding will do.
Hey @halconguy 10 is just an placeholder for whatever amount you want to risk per trade.

to calculate risk per trade im using ATR / 4 and then im taking the amount i want to risk and divide it by ATR/4

Some more explanation, this is for a situation where i just want to get in based on price and dont have a consolidation or something to risk of off. i can load this information into my active trader and if its at a price i like then just pay the order or i can offer up myself either way its for entering based on price with no clear price structure to risk off

Im just want that result for "shares" to be a round number, its not a big deal having the decimal places but it would be cleaner if it was a whole number since i wont be entering fractions of shares in my active trader.

I saw this post on chat GBT and gave it a shot. Chat GBT works very well. its not perfect but if you go back and forth its really amazing what it can do.

@halcony thank you for the link, so rounding is not what i need to do. i need to eliminate the decimal and make it a whole number

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this post on chat GBT and gave it a shot. Chat GBT works very well. its not perfect but if you go back and forth its really amazing what it can do.

@halcony thank you for the link, so rounding is not what i need to do. i need to eliminate the decimal and make it a whole number
if you want to remove digits on the right side of a number, that is called rounding.
round(x, 0) will round to 0 places, get rid of the digits on right Side of decimal point.
Floor() and ceil() are other rounding functions

follow that link above to round(). then click on menu buttom at top left (3 horizontal lines) to see a list of functions. look at every one and learn what they do.
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Functions/Math---Trig

Last edited:
Im not getting it,

I had a look at the floor and ceil but they seem to just round aswell without removing the digits.

How do i make this is integar, Not a whole number, forgive my previous poor parlance

Im not getting it,

@sawyersweetman
several issues,
you are confused on the use of rounding functions and addlabel.

you are asking basic questions, that a couple minutes reading the online manual will solve.
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Functions/Math---Trig/Floor
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Functions/Others/AsText

def result = round( 10 / atrDividedByx );
this will round the formula. but because the 2nd parameter, rounding digits, is missing, it defaults to 2, and will have a number with 2 digits to the right of the decimal point.

if 0 is used, then this will be an integer, no digits after decimal point.
def result = round( 10 / atrDividedByx , 0 );

if astext() is used like this, to display an integer, it will show 2 digits to the right of decimal point 1.00
AddLabel(yes, "STOP: " + AsText(atrDividedByx, NumberFormat.TWO_DECIMAL_PLACES), Color.GREEN);

that round() and floor() are working fine.
you didn't list all the code, but i saw some in an earlier post, so i can guess you are using astext() with some parameter that is displaying the digits.
the problem is how you are displaying the number in addlabel.

stop using astext().

notes,
i try not to use constants in formulas, so i replaced them with variables, so they can be user changed.

use variable names that describe what the data is

i copied the ATR code into this study, it's just 1 formula, no reason to reference it.

Code:
# ATR
input atr_length = 14;
input averageType = AverageType.WILDERS;
#plot ATR = MovingAverage(averageType, TrueRange(high, close, low), length);
#ATR.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(8));
def ATR1 = MovingAverage(averageType, TrueRange(high, close, low), atr_length);

input atr_factor = 4.0;
#def atrDividedByx = Atr1 / atr_factor;
def atrDividedByx = round(Atr1 / atr_factor, 2);
input risk_dollars = 10.0;
#def result = round(10 / atrDividedByx);
def shares = round(risk_dollars / atrDividedByx, 0);

def stop_level = close - atrDividedByx;

addlabel(1, " ", color.black);
addlabel(1, "ATR: " + atr1, color.yellow);
addlabel(1, "ATR factor: " + atr_factor, color.yellow);
addlabel(1, "adjusted ATR: " + atrDividedByx, color.yellow);
addlabel(1, "risk amount: " + asdollars(risk_dollars), color.yellow);

#AddLabel(yes, "STOP: " + AsText(atrDividedByx, NumberFormat.TWO_DECIMAL_PLACES), Color.GREEN);
AddLabel(yes, "STOP: " + atrDividedByx, Color.GREEN);
AddLabel(1, "STOP level: " + stop_level , Color.yellow);
AddLabel(yes, "SHARES: " + AsText(shares), Color.CYAN);
AddLabel(yes, "SHARES: " + shares, Color.yellow);
#

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution