Protect Source Code In ThinkOrSwim

stone

I noticed on Trading View people are selling indicators via subscription models etc. Is there a way to do that for sharing/selling an indicator, chart set up etc in TOS? So setting a date for expiration or deleting a shared item to a specific person? So the indicators that are shared here for the upgraded members could be shared with those who are not members?

MerryDay

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
Lifetime
I noticed on Trading View people are selling indicators via subscription models etc. Is there a way to do that for sharing/selling an indicator, chart set up etc in TOS? So setting a date for expiration or deleting a shared item to a specific person? So the indicators that are shared here for the upgraded members could be shared with those who are not members?
The subscription models on TradingView allow for an indicator to be used for a limited time but the script is never provided.
There is no way to protect code similarly in ToS:
http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/topic/8316-how-to-lock-thinkscript-at-tos-platform/

FYI, ToS Sharing Links once created can never be deleted.

Last edited:

Trader_Rich

VIP
I do not claim to be an Intellectual Property Attorney (or any attorney for that matter), however I've been around enough lawsuits I should probably be awarded a Juris Doctorate and granted access to the Bar in a few states. Below is taken from ThinkOrSwim Terms of Service

3. LIMITED LICENSE TO USE THE SOFTWARE
3.1 ... "We own all right, title and interest in and to the Software and associated application programming interfaces and user documentation and reference documentation, including the source and object code"
3.2. "Subject to your compliance with the terms of this License, we grant you a personal, limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license to download, install, access and use the Software on your own computing devices for your personal, non-commercial use. No other use of the Software is permitted without our prior written consent."
3.3...You may not monetize any portion of the Software or use it for any commercial or non-personal purpose.

I would argue that using TOS Software to script indicators for re-sale is "monetizing". With that said, I'm not here to be the TOS Police, as we all know there are plenty of people who write code for indicators and sell them and frankly most of those people/entities are preying on people who don't know any better. To anyone developing an indicator, whether it be for sale or shared gratis, I hope you have found the holy grail and wish you all the best

Last edited by a moderator:

MerryDay

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
Lifetime
3. LIMITED LICENSE TO USE THE SOFTWARE
3.1 ... "We own all right, title and interest in and to the Software and associated application programming interfaces and user documentation and reference documentation, including the source and object code"
3.2. "Subject to your compliance with the terms of this License, we grant you a personal, limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license to download, install, access and use the Software on your own computing devices for your personal, non-commercial use. No other use of the Software is permitted without our prior written consent."
3.3...You may not monetize any portion of the Software or use it for any commercial or non-personal purpose.
Ahhhhh... I see the confusion. This refers the the software that runs the App. It has nothing with scripting or thinkscript.

jonathalim

VIP
I would copy and paste into "Visual Studio Code" and save it somewhere else. Still not sure what TOS programming is as Visual Studio Code also randomly recognize as some programming language. I also use Visual Studio Code to edit TOS code. Is there a better editor?

thinkscript78

If we use Visual Studio, save it as a .ts extension, will TOS accept it and if so, will the code be visible on TOS? I don't want my client to view the source code but they should be able to use it.

MerryDay

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
Lifetime
No, ToS only accepts ThinkScript code. And no, there is no way to hide the code.
I moved your post here so you can benefit from a more complete discussion

Mr_Wheeler

Longtime ago I came across that site that was selling expensive scripts. Book marked it, saw this thread asking if there was a way to protect scripts. Maybe that guy who's selling scripts found a way to protect the scripts, I don't know, but I don't feel like spending 60 or 100+ dollars to find out.

https://easycators.com/thinkscript/low-float-stock-scan/

Last edited by a moderator:

MerryDay

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
Lifetime
Longtime ago I came across that site that was selling expensive scripts. Book marked it, saw this thread asking if there was a way to protect scripts. Maybe that guy who's selling scripts found a way to protect the scripts, I don't know, but I don't feel like spending 60 or 100+ dollars to find out.
If you look at the images in the link that you provided: the code is there. Nothing is hidden in what he is selling and he doesn't represent that it is copy protected. Perhaps you pasted the wrong link.

He states:
We just use a different data source to obtain the low float data, then manually filter.
Meaning they use an API to get the data feed for low float. You can do the same thing. I do. I pay an outside provider. You can get float, alpha, beta, PEG, composite ratings, exposure, statistical means, risk-reward ratios, etc from IB, Benzinga, MacroAxis or any Portfolio Manager, etc...
But all that is outside of the platform. And it is not hidden, if you are a subscriber to a datafeed.

The OP was asking how to hide CODE on the platform. An Analogy would be all the padlocked built-in ToS studies. We can use the studies but not see the code.

But ToS does not provide the ability for us to do that with our custom coded studies.

Last edited:

Juanito

It occurs to me that one way to protect your studies is to give the plots unrealistic values in the code, so they won't work as you created them. Then it will be only you who knows these values and whoever wishes to use them must come to you.