Price crossing Moving Average For ThinkOrSwim

nheminism21

Moving Average Label
Hello Y'all..I'm trying to create a label that display the current value of the 21ema on the chart in thinkorswim. I would also like the label to be colored green if the last bar is over the 21ema or red if the last bar is below the 21ema. I'm not much of a programmer, so I would appreciate any help you can help me with this..thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
How can I add Buy/Sell arrows?

Needing a down arrow to print when price closes below the ema3 and a buy arrow when price closes above the ema1. Each time i've tried to add the arrow coding, the ema lines dissappear.
What is your definition of price?
There are many choices for definition of price: Open Close High Low hl2 hlc3 ohlc4. With today's volatility, all these definitions can miss the mark.

FYI
This thread was started because price crosses average isn't a thing found on the forum.
This is because the standard is moving average crossing another moving average.
Using a moving average w/ a length of 2 or 3 bars provides a clearer signal than attempting to apply one of the above seven definitions of price.
That is why there...
im looking for a simple thinkscript to shade the chart below a value. so for instance, on AAPL, the current price is 138.88. lets say i want to set another price of 130, and i want the area on the TOS chart 130 and below to be shaded a light blue. is this possible?

Looking for something like this. i just drew a rectangle manually to create this.

Screenshot-2022-11-03-150330.jpg

Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

im looking for a simple thinkscript to shade the chart below a value. so for instance, on AAPL, the current price is 138.88. lets say i want to set another price of 130, and i want the area on the TOS chart 130 and below to be shaded a light blue. is this possible?

Looking for something like this. i just drew a rectangle manually to create this.

Screenshot-2022-11-03-150330.jpg

Try this

Screenshot-2022-11-03-162244.png
Ruby:
input Data = 130;
AddCloud(Data, Double.NEGATIVE_INFINITY, Color.CYAN, Color.CYAN, showBorder = Yes);

sleepz, this worked amazing well, but 130 shows up on all charts.

is there anyway to specify this code for AAPL only? for AMZN, i want another price level, for GOOGL, another level, etc. thanks!

sleepz, this worked amazing well, but 130 shows up on all charts.

is there anyway to specify this code for AAPL only? for AMZN, i want another price level, for GOOGL, another level, etc. thanks!

You could do this and for each one you create, only that one will appear when viewing that symbol's chart.

You could also create a formula that would not require you to enter the values often. For example,
Code:
def AAPL = close("AAPL",period=aggregationperiod.day)[1] - 5;
instead of the input AAPL code.

Ruby:
input AAPL = 130;
AddCloud(if getsymbol()=="AAPL" then AAPL else double.nan,
Double.NEGATIVE_INFINITY, Color.CYAN, Color.CYAN, showBorder = Yes);
input META = 90;
AddCloud(if getsymbol()=="META" then META else double.nan,
input TSLA = 207;
AddCloud(if getsymbol()=="TSLA" then TSLA else double.nan,

Last edited:
This is EXACTLY what i wanted. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruby:
nput AAPL = 130;
AddCloud(if getsymbol()=="AAPL" then AAPL else double.nan,
input META = 90;
AddCloud(if getsymbol()=="META" then META else double.nan,
input TSLA = 207;
AddCloud(if getsymbol()=="TSLA" then TSLA else double.nan,

Can someone create a label that is customizable to whichever ema is input and the label will show the ema as well as be green if price is above or show red is price is below? for example: If 200 ema is selected/input the the label will display 200 and be green if price is above the 200 ema.
Let me know if this is enough explanation. Thanks

Can someone create a label that is customizable to whichever ema is input and the label will show the ema as well as be green if price is above or show red is price is below? for example: If 200 ema is selected/input the the label will display 200 and be green if price is above the 200 ema.
Let me know if this is enough explanation. Thanks

Try this

Code:
input length  = 200;
input avgtype = AverageType.EXPONENTIAL;
def ema1 = MovingAverage(avgtype, close, length);
AddLabel(1, length, if close > ema1 then Color.GREEN else Color.RED);

Is there a way to calculate how far the price is from 200Exponential the price difference. If price above 200Exponential Bullish under Bearish and assign colors. Thank you

Is there a way to calculate how far the price is from 200Exponential the price difference. If price above 200Exponential Bullish under Bearish and assign colors. Thank you

Try this

Screenshot-2022-11-23-170005.png

Ruby:
input length   = 200;
input avgtype  = AverageType.EXPONENTIAL;
input price    = close;
input hide_ema = no;
plot ema  = MovingAverage(avgtype, price, length);
ema.SetHiding(hide_ema);
def diff  = price - ema;
AddLabel(1, "$Diff:  Price - EMA: " + AsDollars(diff) , if price > ema then Color.GREEN else Color.RED);

I’m trying to create an alert that lets me know when price crosses the 21 SMA on a 1600 tick chart but have no idea where to start. Is it even possible to create in Think or Swim?
Ruby:
input length  = 21;
input avgtype = AverageType.SIMPLE ;
plot ema1 = MovingAverage(avgtype, close, length);

Alert(close crosses above ema1, "ding", alert.tick, Sound.ding);
AddLabel(yes, length, if close > ema1 then Color.GREEN else Color.RED);

Last edited:
Simple MA labels that show if price is above or below 5 Standard Ma's

Code:
#ChatGPTMadethis
# Moving Averages
input ma9 = 9;
input ma20 = 20;
input ma50 = 50;
input ma100 = 100;
input ma200 = 200;

# Current Price
def price = close;

# Moving Average Values
def ma9value = MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE, price, ma9);
def ma20value = MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE, price, ma20);
def ma50value = MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE, price, ma50);
def ma100value = MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE, price, ma100);
def ma200value = MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE, price, ma200);

# Labels
AddLabel(yes, "MA9: " + ma9value, if price > ma9value then Color.GREEN else Color.RED);
AddLabel(yes, "MA20: " + ma20value, if price > ma20value then Color.GREEN else Color.RED);
AddLabel(yes, "MA50: " + ma50value, if price > ma50value then Color.GREEN else Color.RED);
AddLabel(yes, "MA100: " + ma100value, if price > ma100value then Color.GREEN else Color.RED);
AddLabel(yes, "MA200: " + ma200value, if price > ma200value then Color.GREEN else Color.RED);