• LIMITED TIME OFFER: use coupon code PRIMEDAY at checkout to save $50 off VIP membership (down to $149 / year). Valid through Tuesday 6/22.

Outstanding Shares Data in ThinkorSwim

weidezhang

Anyone know how to get total number of outstanding shares of a company in TOS? I want to calculate the stock turnover ratio of each day. Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

duke_oofington

I've been wanting to learn thinkscript, and a buddy suggest I try making this scan, so now seems like perfect opportunity

I want to be able to make this scan on my own. I've begun learning the basics, but can someone point me in the direction for how to make this as a filter in stock hacker? Or possibly link to a similar example, and I can try to figure it out on my own?

Thanks in advance

rad14733

VIP
Experimenting with scans is the key... From my years of experience it has become evident that some people are hesitant to experiment, fearing that they might "break" something... That goes for computers in general, not just coding... Not insinuating anything, merely reflecting from 30+ years in the IT business... Start simple and keep adding more criteria/filters and you'll soon be coding complex scans with confidence... It's theoretically no different than querying a database or spreadsheet...

duke_oofington

Experimenting with scans is the key... From my years of experience it has become evident that some people are hesitant to experiment, fearing that they might "break" something... That goes for computers in general, not just coding... Not insinuating anything, merely reflecting from 30+ years in the IT business... Start simple and keep adding more criteria/filters and you'll soon be coding complex scans with confidence... It's theoretically no different than querying a database or spreadsheet...
Ok, thanks. So are you saying I should build the scan fully in thinkscript? And throw out the premade filters completely?

rad14733

VIP
Ok, thanks. So are you saying I should build the scan fully in thinkscript? And throw out the premade filters completely?
Not at all... A good combination of premade and custom filters works best... I was merely encouraging you to spend some time experimenting... All too often people just focus on the current task at hand and never expand their horizons to discover new possibilities they may not have even envisioned...

duke_oofington

Not at all... A good combination of premade and custom filters works best... I was merely encouraging you to spend some time experimenting... All too often people just focus on the current task at hand and never expand their horizons to discover new possibilities they may not have even envisioned...
Thank you, I appreciate that.

Something I worry about isn't whether I'll "break" it as you said, but that my code may be wrong for what I'm trying to scan for, and I'll end up analyzing the wrong results and trading off it without any knowledge that my code is off.