NQ100 useful metrics (labels)

grapetux

Id like to make several labels for my main price chart that display the following stats for the NQ100

-% of stocks trading above 9ema *5min timeframe
-% of stocks trading above previous day hi/lo
% of stocks trading above vwap
etc..

Thanks in advance for the help!
Cheers

Solution
Well, there is good news and bad news. Those labels would require you to manually hard code calculations for all 100 individual stocks. While not technically impossible, it would be quite tedious, and it could possibly cause some issues with the platform, load slowly, or something along those lines.

The good news is that, in terms of weighting, the nasdaq 100 is really more like the nasdaq 20, along with around 80 stocks weighted at less than one percent. At one point, apple got so large that it dominated the entire index, such as that the entire index just basically did what ever apple did. If I remember correctly, the calculation of the index was altered to avoid this. The top 20'ish stocks still dominate the index.

Focusing on only...
Well, there is good news and bad news. Those labels would require you to manually hard code calculations for all 100 individual stocks. While not technically impossible, it would be quite tedious, and it could possibly cause some issues with the platform, load slowly, or something along those lines.

The good news is that, in terms of weighting, the nasdaq 100 is really more like the nasdaq 20, along with around 80 stocks weighted at less than one percent. At one point, apple got so large that it dominated the entire index, such as that the entire index just basically did what ever apple did. If I remember correctly, the calculation of the index was altered to avoid this. The top 20'ish stocks still dominate the index.

Focusing on only those 20 or so significantly weighted stocks might be more feasible. But its up to you... The code below is the first request, just for starters. It should be enough for you to complete it on your own with simple copy-paste-edits. I am certainly not going to do all that data entry for all of the symbols myself. Whether you go with 100 or 20'ish, just change the #Total at the bottom.

Ruby:
Script E {
    input Sym = "";
    def C = Close(Sym);
    plot E =
        if isNaN(C) then No
        else C > expAverage(C,9)
    ;
}
def AboveEMA =
    (
        E("AAPL") +
        E("MSFT") +
        E("AMZN")#+
        #E(...) +
        #E(...) +
        #E(...)
    ) / 3; #total
;
AddLabel(Yes,"Above EMA: " + aspercent(AboveEMA),color.blue);

I can help you with the others if you decide its worth it.
You can find the weighting at https://www.slickcharts.com/nasdaq100.
Personally, I would just go as far as INTU.

Solution

Focusing on only those 20 or so significantly weighted stocks might be more feasible. But its up to you... The code below is the first request, just for starters. It should be enough for you to complete it on your own with simple copy-paste-edits. I am certainly not going to do all that data entry for all of the symbols myself. Whether you go with 100 or 20'ish, just change the #Total at the bottom.

Ruby:
Script E {
    input Sym = "";
    def C = Close(Sym);
    plot E =
        if isNaN(C) then No
        else C > expAverage(C,9)
    ;
}
def AboveEMA =
    (
        E("AAPL") +
        E("MSFT") +
        E("AMZN")#+
        #E(...) +
        #E(...) +
        #E(...)
    ) / 3; #total
;
AddLabel(Yes,"Above EMA: " + aspercent(AboveEMA),color.blue);

I can help you with the others if you decide its worth it.
You can find the weighting at https://www.slickcharts.com/nasdaq100.
Personally, I would just go as far as INTU.
Thanks very much for the info and the code looks really cool.
Focusing on these top 20 stocks I could also just run a custom watchlist column colored coded to show green/red for those above/below the 9ema for another visual . Thanks again

I trade the /nq. I have created a google sheet with all 102 stocks in the ndx, and track all the internals, volume, etc. This sheet (and your list) needs to be updated as the ndx makeup changes. As @Joshua stated, there are good sites that keep an updated list of the stock list. I use big chart dot com with live feed that is ported to my google sheet. Once it is set up, it loads automatically and all metrics are updated live. I update the ndx list monthly. I considered doing it in a charting program, but the excel style google sheet is sufficient for me. I keep a “dashboard” of the important data running next to my tos charts. I should say that I have a 53” monitor, so plenty of room. Hope this gives you some ideas as to how to tackle the assignment. Scott

I trade the /nq. I have created a google sheet with all 102 stocks in the ndx, and track all the internals, volume, etc. This sheet (and your list) needs to be updated as the ndx makeup changes. As @Joshua stated, there are good sites that keep an updated list of the stock list. I use big chart dot com with live feed that is ported to my google sheet. Once it is set up, it loads automatically and all metrics are updated live. I update the ndx list monthly. I considered doing it in a charting program, but the excel style google sheet is sufficient for me. I keep a “dashboard” of the important data running next to my tos charts. I should say that I have a 53” monitor, so plenty of room. Hope this gives you some ideas as to how to tackle the assignment. Scott
Hi Scott, thanks for all the info. Appreciate the insight. Can you expand on what kinds of confluence you look for amongst the individual tickers when you trade NQ? This week I had a watchlist showing the top 20 nq100 stocks with simple moving average crossover info amongst a few other things. Ive been putting most of my energy into watching QQQ these last few years and would love any more insight you have. thanks
-Nick

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jserenson1153 Useful Indicators For Swing Trading With ThinkOrSwim Questions 9
M Explain what this is useful for? Questions 3