LowestAll & HighestAll causing error in ThinkorSwim

Working on a custom P&L study that's used in conjunction with a strategy (see full script here). I'm attempting to get the lowest and highest P&L for each round trip triggered by the strategy (not the Total P&L value, but the return for each individual trade - i.e. $1.50[exitPrice] - $1.00[entryPrice] = .50). The code as is working fine to determine the difference between the exitPrice and entryPrice. The problem is when I store the return value in a temp variable and then try to use either HighestAll() or LowestAll() to find the highest and lowest trade returns, it breaks all of my win/loss ratios.
Code:
def highestReturn = HighestAll(entryReturnWin);
def lowestReturn = LowestAll(entryReturnLoss);
After some debugging it seems when using either HighestAll() or LowestAll() on any of the variables declared using the isExitBar condition, it breaks all the win/loss logic due to a divide by zero error and instead of returning the highest/lowest returns it just returns 0 for either. The odd thing is that if I use Highest or Lowest everything works fine with the caveat that I can only check for the highest/lowest return for a maximum of 2000 bars in the past (which will potentially return the incorrect lowest value if the chart is greater than 2k bars).
Code:
#Breaks all the win/loss calculations and returns 0

#Does not break the win/loss calculations but will not return lowest value if it's older than 2k bars
def highestReturn = Highest(entryReturnWin, 1999); 
def lowestReturn = Lowest(entryReturnLoss, 1999);

I'm thinking there may be a problem deeper in my code, but I can't seem to figure out where. Here's the logic that handles the w/l ratios, counts & trade return calculations. If anyone needs to dig deeper than the snippet below, the entire script can be found in this post. Any suggestions on how to resolve this using the current logic or possibly another different approach to calculating the difference between the entry and exit price of a strategy order?

Python:
#Win/Loss ratios
def entryBarsTemp = if hasEntry
                    then bn
                    else nan;

def entryBarNum = if hasEntry and IsNaN(entryBarsTemp[1])
                  then bn
                  else entryBarNum[1];

def isEntryBar = entryBarNum != entryBarNum[1];

def entryBarPL = if isEntryBar
                 then FPL
                 else entryBarPL[1];

def exitBarsTemp = if !hasEntry
                   and bn > entryBarsTemp[1]
                   then bn
                   else nan;

def exitBarNum = if !hasEntry and !IsNaN(exitBarsTemp[1])
                 then bn
                 else exitBarNum[1];

def isExitBar = exitBarNum != exitBarNum[1];

def exitBarPL = if isExitBar
                then FPL
                else exitBarPL[1];

def isWin = if isExitBar and exitBarPL > entryBarPL then 1 else 0;
def isLoss = if isExitBar and exitBarPL < entryBarPL then 1 else 0;
def entryReturn = if isExitBar then exitBarPL - exitBarPL[1] else 0;
def entryReturnWin = if entryReturn > 0 then entryReturn else 0;
def entryReturnLoss = if entryReturn < 0 then entryReturn else 0;
def entryFPLWins = if isWin then FPL else entryFPLWins[1];
def entryFPLLosses = if isLoss then FPL else entryFPLLosses[1];
def entryFPLAll = if isLoss or isWin then FPL else entryFPLAll[1];

def winCount = CompoundValue(1,
                 if isWin
                 then winCount[1] + 1
                 else winCount[1], 0);

def lossCount = CompoundValue(1,
                 if isLoss
                 then lossCount[1] + 1
                 else lossCount[1], 0);

def winRate = winCount / lossCount;
def winLossRatio = winCount / entryCount;

#Breaks all the win/loss calculations and returns 0

def avgReturn = TotalSum(entryReturn)/entryCount;
def avgWin = TotalSum(entryReturnWin)/winCount;
def avgLoss = TotalSum(entryReturnLoss)/lossCount;

Last edited:
After spending a couple weeks stuck on this I've come to the conclusion, unless someone with more TS experience than I have can explain otherwise, that the issue lies with using HighestAll() or LowestAll() on the EntryPrice() function or on any variables that are initialized using the EntryPrice() function. Not sure why specifically, but it must be some kind of internal quirk that when used with either of the *All functions, they somehow prevent some object that the EntryPrice() function maybe is referencing internally from instantiating when the thinkscript compiler runs. This ends up causing the function to always fail silently, breaking any other references using it throughout the script.

So I implemented the following workaround to get the highest/lowest value within an entire chart without using either of the *All functions. It's basically a recursive variable that continuously checks whether the value of a preceding bar is greater/less than the recursive variable's preceding value.

Code:
def highestReturn = if entryReturnWin[1] > highestReturn[1]
                    then entryReturnWin[1]
                    else highestReturn[1];

def lowestReturn = if entryReturnLoss[1] < lowestReturn[1]
                   then entryReturnLoss[1]
                   else lowestReturn[1];

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Hi Everyone,

Last month TOS updated some thinkscript bugs and now some of my studies with these functions do not work properly.. (HighestAll, LowestAll, InertiaAll, stDevAll, StErrAll)

How do I fix these?

Hi Vomit_King "these functions do not work properly" is not a detailed explanation of your issue. Many of my studies use these functions and I haven't seen a problem.

My suggestions:
  1. Could your app be corrupted? Happens to me on a semi-regular basis. I tend to push the limits of what TOS can do and the app starts to give me wonky problems. I re-install the app and it solves my issues 9 out of 10 times.
  2. Otherwise, post an example script (make sure to cut&paste code after clicking on the "</>" button above). AND provide a screenshot of the chart having the issue. Follow instructions: How TO Insert Image AND lastly provide a more detailed description of what the problem is.

@VOMIT_KING I have noticed that recent issues with HighestAll() have gone away, perhaps due to an intra-release bug fix... My several different custom PriceLine scripts have been working flawlessly this week without freezing up...

Hi Vomit_King "these functions do not work properly" is not a detailed explanation of your issue. Many of my studies use these functions and I haven't seen a problem.

My suggestions:
  1. Could your app be corrupted? Happens to me on a semi-regular basis. I tend to push the limits of what TOS can do and the app starts to give me wonky problems. I re-install the app and it solves my issues 9 out of 10 times.
  2. Otherwise, post an example script (make sure to cut&paste code after clicking on the "</>" button above). AND provide a screenshot of the chart having the issue. Follow instructions: How TO Insert Image AND lastly provide a more detailed description of what the problem is.
I Uninstalled Tos and reInstalled it.. that didn't work.. TD tech changed the Java3 to Jave2 in the vmoption file.. that didn't work.. with my studies my platform is Super Lagging.. and those studies with the Functions do not plot correctly.. for example, let say if I get a BUY signal with an Arrow.. but the BUY Fails.. the Arrow suppose to turn off.. but now it goes away after the 3rd candle..

I paid for these indicators and recently I found out the seller was not the original coder.. So I can't really post the script..