I am confuse with [1] else 0 in if and else statement with my VWAP Code.

Stoynks

Code:
def x = if close crosses above VWAP then 1 else x[1];
plot alert = if x == 1 then 1 else 0;

This code is great when finding out the stock is is crossing vwap. My only problem is instead of showing 0, it is showing NaN. How do I add a false statement and x[1] together?
is it like this?

Code:
if close crosses above VWAP then 1 else 0 and x[1]

that way my plot alert triggers the 0 instead of NaN

I also tried:

Code:
plot alert = if x == 1 then 1 else if x!= 1 then 0 else 0;
Still not Working

Please Help. Very Much Appreciated.

Solution
Code:

This code is great when finding out the stock is is crossing vwap. My only problem is instead of showing 0, it is showing NaN. How do I add a false statement and x[1] together?
is it like this?

Code:

I also tried:

Code:
Still not Working

I am not sure why you want to use x[1]. The following code will plot 1/0 for all bars. You could have just eliminated def x and just used plot alert = if close crosses above reference VWAP...
Code:

is it like this?

Code:

I also tried:

Code:
Still not Working

I am not sure why you want to use x[1]. The following code will plot 1/0 for all bars. You could have just eliminated def x and just used plot alert = if close crosses above reference VWAP then 1 else 0;

Also, if you want the VWAP indicator you need to use 'reference VWAP', instead of just VWAP, which is a price type, like high/low/close/etc.

Code:
def x = if close crosses above reference VWAP then 1 else 0;
plot v= reference vwap;
#plot alert = if x == 1 then 1 else if x!= 1 then 0 else 0;
plot alert = x;
alert.setpaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.VALUES_BELOW);

Solution
I am not sure why you want to use x[1]. The following code will plot 1/0 for all bars. You could have just eliminated def x and just used plot alert = if close crosses above reference VWAP then 1 else 0;

Also, if you want the VWAP indicator you need to use 'reference VWAP', instead of just VWAP, which is a price type, like high/low/close/etc.

Thank you but I am not trying indicate or referencing vwap. The reason for the x[1] is because it stays true when close crosses vwap but if there is no x[1] then close crosses vwap again it's going to be going from 1 to 0 back and forth. I want it to stay once for the first time it crosses vwap. It's my indication of bullish in my column watchlist. I just want to know how to combine [1] and 0 with this code:

Code:
if close crosses above VWAP then 1 else x[1];
if close crosses above VWAP then 1 else 0;

How do I combine this together? how do I make it true the first time it crosses which will be 1 in my plot and at the same time if I want it still false, instead of having NaN in the plot, I would have it to 0? I hope I am explaining this correctly but basically I want it stay 0 until close crosses vwap then it will stay 1 indefinitely. Right now before it crosses vwap, it's NaN instead of 0. how do I change it to 0? Sorry if I can't fully explain it.

Thank you but I am not trying indicate or referencing vwap. The reason for the x[1] is because it stays true when close crosses vwap but if there is no x[1] then close crosses vwap again it's going to be going from 1 to 0 back and forth. I want it to stay once for the first time it crosses vwap. It's my indication of bullish in my column watchlist. I just want to know how to combine [1] and 0 with this code:

Code:
if close crosses above VWAP then 1 else x[1];
if close crosses above VWAP then 1 else 0;

How do I combine this together? how do I make it true the first time it crosses which will be 1 in my plot and at the same time if I want it still false, instead of having NaN in the plot, I would have it to 0? I hope I am explaining this correctly but basically I want it stay 0 until close crosses vwap then it will stay 1 indefinitely. Right now before it crosses vwap, it's NaN instead of 0. how do I change it to 0? Sorry if I can't fully explain it.

Here is both pricetype vwap in white and indicator type vwap in cyan. By default x is looking for a cross of the pricetype where x becomes 1. At the start of the next day x is 0 until it is crossed.

Screenshot-2022-10-27-124854.png
Ruby:
plot vwap_indicator = reference vwap;
vwap_indicator.setdefaultColor(color.cyan);
plot vwap_price = vwap;
vwap_price.setdefaultColor(color.white);
vwap_price.setlineWeight(4);

def x = if getday()!= getday()[1]
        then 0
        else if close crosses above vwap_price
        then 1
        else x[1];

plot alert = x;

Okay, wonderful!!! That's the code that I exactly wanted. Thank you so much. I tried this on the chart but on the watchlist, I am still get NaN. Am I doing something wrong?

Okay, wonderful!!! That's the code that I exactly wanted. Thank you so much. I tried this on the chart but on the watchlist, I am still get NaN. Am I doing something wrong?

On a watchlist you can only have one plot statement. So the plots of the lines and associated look and feel settings have to be commented out.

Try this. It will plot 1 or 0.

Ruby:
def vwap_indicator = reference vwap;
#vwap_indicator.setdefaultColor(color.cyan);
def vwap_price = vwap;
#vwap_price.setdefaultColor(color.white);
#vwap_price.setlineWeight(4);

then 0
        then 1
        else x[1];

plot alert = x;

Okay, thank you!! I will let you know if it works tomorrow when market is open. Right now everything is true since it's after hours which is not accurate.

If I want to set an alert with this study I would just do, for example x != 1 and close < 14.00;

Code:
def vwap_price = vwap;

then 0
        then 1
        else x[1];

Plot alert = if x != 1 and close < 14.00 then 1 else 0;

Will this trigger?
x != 1 meaning it still haven't crossed vwap and close is less than $14.00? or do I have to use x == 0 instead of x != 1?

Okay, thank you!! I will let you know if it works tomorrow when market is open. Right now everything is true since it's after hours which is not accurate.

If I want to set an alert with this study I would just do, for example x != 1 and close < 14.00;

Code:
def vwap_price = vwap;

then 0
        then 1
        else x[1];

Plot alert = if x != 1 and close < 14.00 then 1 else 0;

Will this trigger?
x != 1 meaning it still haven't crossed vwap and close is less than $14.00? or do I have to use x == 0 instead of x != 1?

This will sound an alert using the alert() function. Since your wish is to use the pricetype VWAP which is closely related to pricetype HLC3, which is closely related to close, the alert will sound in almost every instance I have seen in the early permarket hours. Since you want it to stay 1 thereafter, the alert will likely sound when you are not available. I am not sure this is really what you want.

Ruby:
plot vwap_indicator = reference vwap;
vwap_indicator.setdefaultColor(color.cyan);
plot vwap_price = vwap;
vwap_price.setdefaultColor(color.white);
vwap_price.setlineWeight(4);

then 0
        then 1
        else x[1];

Plot alert = if x[1]==0 and x == 1 and close < 14 then 1 else 0;
alert(alert,"VWAP CROSSED", alert.bar, sound.chimes);

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.