HighestAll, LowestAll, InertiaAll, StDevAll, StErrAll (full range) no update in real time in ThinkOrSwim

graf

I reported the lagging issue to ToS and was told this:

Regrettably the refresh rate on some of the functions within thinkscript were updated over the past weekend, this changed how custom scripts function when added to the chart. At the moment there is no workaround to get this study to function how it did before, I am submitting feedback on these items so that our developers can review this for future consideration. I do apologize for the inconvenience that this causes, if you have any additional questions or concerns please let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

I reported this issue to TOS of the horizontal line for the last price and was told this:

Regrettably the refresh rate on some of the functions within thinkscript were updated over the past weekend, this changed how custom scripts such as the priceline study function when added to the chart. At the moment there is no workaround to get this study to function how it did before, I am submitting feedback on these items so that our developers can review this for future consideration. I do apologize for the inconvenience that this causes, if you have any additional questions or concerns please let us know.

To add to what @graf received, I reported the issue as well (and I suggest everyone report it so they know that we want the old functionality back) and got the following, more detailed, explanation:
Thank you again for your patience. With the most recent ThinkorSwim update scripts that use full range functions such as HighestAll, LowestAll, InertiaAll, StDevAll, StErrAll no longer re-calculate per tick. This issue has been brought to the attention of our developers and we have and continue to add accounts to the list of those affected to gauge the impact.

I contacted TOS again about this issue. This time I asked if this was intentional because many traders are not happy about this and if and when they will repair it. This it what they said :

We appreciate the time and consideration you have given in sending your suggestion regarding the changes that had been made to the frequency of the last price indicators updating. Our technology teams had confirmed that this change was intentional, however we are still forwarding feedback regarding this change. Currently TD Ameritrade and Charles Schwab are still operating as separate firms in regards to trading platforms, so changes made would not necessarily be related to Charles Schwab specifically for this change. I've taken your message in its entirety and submitted it for further review. Please continue to send us your ideas as many of the changes to our procedures and products are driven by our clients' comments.
Thank you for taking the time to help make TD Ameritrade better.

Thank you,

TOS tech support team has informed me that the recent update has created issues to thinkScript that changes the re-calculation frequency for some functions (HighestAll, LowestAll, InertiaAll, StDevAll, StErrAll). The change was intentional and there is no workaround at the moment.

Moved posts here so we have a repository of the discussions concerning this problem.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a method to plot a horizontal line on the current price that will update with each tick?

I currently use the indicator below to show a line on the current price, but because it uses "HighestAll" in the script, it only updates once per bar. Years ago this didn't used to happen, and I believe ToS even had an option like "declare once_per_tick" to force studies to update on each tick.

I'm doubtful there's a way, but wondering if anyone has a method to make this work.

Just for clarification...

I'm aware of the functions that limit refresh rate - I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to plot a horizontal line that will refresh with each tick given these functions limitations.

Range All are functions are used when calculating HighestAll(), LowestAll(), InertiaAll(), StDevAll(), StErrAll().

Range All functions are utilized when the lookback requirements for calculations like HighestAll(), etc... are wildly disparate per aggregation and therefore not easily defined.

To have consistent results when using Range All scripts, do not load more historical data than needed for your analysis.

Bear in mind that Range All functions do not update in real time.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I use

declare once_per_bar;

anytime I am using 5m or less anyhow.

Dynamic charting from a cursor point would be nice, instead of having to "input" data for a start point when not using "all".

For example, I wrote a script that calculates dynamic Gamma P&L on the price chart. When it flips upside down there is a purple shade shown (from using a "lowest" and "highest" of said rec variable of the Gamma Step Function.

But what I would really like it to do is drawn the slope (regression) of the Highest (or lowest) step function without having to input "date/time" in the settings every time. Date handling in TOS is sloppy and "All" functions were indeed a way to add some functionality while keeping the basic functionality stupid.

I use

declare once_per_bar;

anytime I am using 5m or less anyhow.

Dynamic charting from a cursor point would be nice, instead of having to "input" data for a start point when not using "all".

For example, I wrote a script that calculates dynamic Gamma P&L on the price chart. When it flips upside down there is a purple shade shown (from using a "lowest" and "highest" of said rec variable of the Gamma Step Function.

But what I would really like it to do is drawn the slope (regression) of the Highest (or lowest) step function without having to input "date/time" in the settings every time. Date handling in TOS is sloppy and "All" functions were indeed a way to add some functionality while keeping the basic functionality stupid.
once_per_bar does not function. It was also discontinued by TDA
7yniHoT.png

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
474 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back