Get current price everytime it changes not the close, open, high, or low.

Kevin N

Hello,

Has anyone come up with a way to get the current price of an instrument. I know you can reference the open, close, high, low price but I need the price at that current moment, between bars. I don't know of a direct way to do this, but it may be possible since referencing GetOpenPL() returns second by second changes to the current open P&L.

For example, the below is a handy little label I have at the top of my charts that give me my current P&L and it changes second by second, so it has to be getting the price. I have created a strategy that uses a stoploss based on points, but the problem I have is if the "low" is below the number of points I specified when a long trade is triggered, it's immediately throwing up a close signal.

Now, you may be wondering, "Why does this guy want to do this...." and you'd be right to wonder. I've been using a macro program to read label colors from my strategy to automatically submit buy, sell, flatten orders. So far, so good except I want to stop out based on pts (eg: 5pt stop on MES) instead of the low of the last bar, etc.

Code:
# Next line is a handy reference
#Colors for GetColor 0(violet), 1(baby blue), 2(pink), 3(gray), 4(yelllow), 5(red), 6(green), 7(dark gray), 8(pale yellow), 9(white)

declare hide_on_daily;

def price = close;
def averagePrice=GetAveragePrice();
def shareSize = GetQuantity();
def cost = averagePrice * shareSize;
def accountValue = (shareSize * close) - (shareSize * averagePrice);

plot AverageTradePrice=if(averagePrice > 0, averagePrice, double.NaN);
AverageTradePrice.SetDefaultColor(COLOR.GREEN);
AverageTradePrice.SetStyle(CURVE.SHORT_DASH);

# Plot the daily MA's
plot MA20 = MovingAverage(AverageType.EXPONENTIAL, close(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), 20);
MA20.setdefaultColor(color.red);
MA20.setStyle(Curve.POINTS);

plot MA50 = MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE, close(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), 50);
MA50.setdefaultColor(color.green);
MA50.setStyle(Curve.POINTS);

plot MA100 = MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE, close(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), 100);
MA100.setdefaultColor(color.violet);
MA100.setStyle(Curve.POINTS);

plot MA200 = MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE, close(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), 200);
MA200.setdefaultColor(color.yellow);
MA200.setStyle(Curve.POINTS);
# End Daily MA's

input fastLength = 09;
input slowLength = 20;
input verySlowLength = 50;
input superSlowLength = 200;
input averageType = AverageType.EXPONENTIAL;

plot FastMA = MovingAverage(averageType, price, fastLength);
plot SlowMA = MovingAverage(averageType, price, slowLength);
plot VerySlowMA = MovingAverage(averageType, price, verySlowLength);
plot SuperSlowMA = MovingAverage(averageType, price, SuperSlowLength);
FastMA.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(1));
SlowMA.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(2));
VerySlowMA.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(6));
SuperSlowMA.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(4));

AddLabel(if (GetOpenPL() <> 0,1,0),
        "Avg: " + round(averagePrice) +
        ", Qty: " + shareSize +
        ", PnL: $" + GetOpenPL() +
        ", Gain: " + round(GetOpenPL() / AbsValue(cost) * 100) + "%" +
        ", Cost: $" + cost +
        ", Used: " + AsPercent(cost / GetNetLiq())
        , if accountValue > 0
            then Color.GREEN
            else if accountValue < 0
            then Color.PINK
            else Color.GRAY);

Regards, Kevin

Solution
Hello,

Has anyone come up with a way to get the current price of an instrument. I know you can reference the open, close, high, low price but I need the price at that current moment, between bars. I don't know of a direct way to do this, but it may be possible since referencing GetOpenPL() returns second by second changes to the current open P&L.

For example, the below is a handy little label I have at the top of my charts that give me my current P&L and it changes second by second, so it has to be getting the price. I have created a strategy that uses a stoploss based on points, but the problem I have is if the "low" is below the number of points I specified when a long trade is triggered, it's immediately throwing up a...
Hello,

For example, the below is a handy little label I have at the top of my charts that give me my current P&L and it changes second by second, so it has to be getting the price. I have created a strategy that uses a stoploss based on points, but the problem I have is if the "low" is below the number of points I specified when a long trade is triggered, it's immediately throwing up a close signal.

Now, you may be wondering, "Why does this guy want to do this...." and you'd be right to wonder. I've been using a macro program to read label colors from my strategy to automatically submit buy, sell, flatten orders. So far, so good except I want to stop out based on pts (eg: 5pt stop on MES) instead of the low of the last bar, etc.

Code:
# Next line is a handy reference
#Colors for GetColor 0(violet), 1(baby blue), 2(pink), 3(gray), 4(yelllow), 5(red), 6(green), 7(dark gray), 8(pale yellow), 9(white)

declare hide_on_daily;

def price = close;
def averagePrice=GetAveragePrice();
def shareSize = GetQuantity();
def cost = averagePrice * shareSize;
def accountValue = (shareSize * close) - (shareSize * averagePrice);

plot AverageTradePrice=if(averagePrice > 0, averagePrice, double.NaN);
AverageTradePrice.SetDefaultColor(COLOR.GREEN);
AverageTradePrice.SetStyle(CURVE.SHORT_DASH);

# Plot the daily MA's
plot MA20 = MovingAverage(AverageType.EXPONENTIAL, close(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), 20);
MA20.setdefaultColor(color.red);
MA20.setStyle(Curve.POINTS);

plot MA50 = MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE, close(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), 50);
MA50.setdefaultColor(color.green);
MA50.setStyle(Curve.POINTS);

plot MA100 = MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE, close(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), 100);
MA100.setdefaultColor(color.violet);
MA100.setStyle(Curve.POINTS);

plot MA200 = MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE, close(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), 200);
MA200.setdefaultColor(color.yellow);
MA200.setStyle(Curve.POINTS);
# End Daily MA's

input fastLength = 09;
input slowLength = 20;
input verySlowLength = 50;
input superSlowLength = 200;
input averageType = AverageType.EXPONENTIAL;

plot FastMA = MovingAverage(averageType, price, fastLength);
plot SlowMA = MovingAverage(averageType, price, slowLength);
plot VerySlowMA = MovingAverage(averageType, price, verySlowLength);
plot SuperSlowMA = MovingAverage(averageType, price, SuperSlowLength);
FastMA.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(1));
SlowMA.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(2));
VerySlowMA.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(6));
SuperSlowMA.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(4));

AddLabel(if (GetOpenPL() <> 0,1,0),
        "Avg: " + round(averagePrice) +
        ", Qty: " + shareSize +
        ", PnL: $" + GetOpenPL() +
        ", Gain: " + round(GetOpenPL() / AbsValue(cost) * 100) + "%" +
        ", Cost: $" + cost +
        ", Used: " + AsPercent(cost / GetNetLiq())
        , if accountValue > 0
            then Color.GREEN
            else if accountValue < 0
            then Color.PINK
            else Color.GRAY);

Regards, Kevin

there is no 'price between bars.'
the current price is from close.
def x = close;
current bar: close is the current price
previous bars: close is the price at the end of the time period.

Solution

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

there is no 'price between bars.'
the current price is from close.
def x = close;
current bar: close is the current price
previous bars: close is the price at the end of the time period.
I understand how thinkscript works, I've built some pretty complex scripts, so I understand you can get the open, close, high, and low prices by referencing those in the script. I also know when you use the GetOpenPL() function such as in the script above, it's giving you a profit and loss tick by tick. I'm sure I can figure a way to do it, was just wondering if anyone else has already done it. I simply want to flash a label on my strategy as soon as I'm at a 15 pt loss. I'll post it here when I complete it.

I understand how thinkscript works, I've built some pretty complex scripts, so I understand you can get the open, close, high, and low prices by referencing those in the script. I also know when you use the GetOpenPL() function such as in the script above, it's giving you a profit and loss tick by tick. I'm sure I can figure a way to do it, was just wondering if anyone else has already done it. I simply want to flash a label on my strategy as soon as I'm at a 15 pt loss. I'll post it here when I complete it.
Any luck so far? Very interested.