Entropy

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/complexity/2019/1817248/

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/complexity/2019/1817248/

I've been reading into some things and had an idea far less complicated than this. I wonder if there's a way to create a mathematical model than defines the entropy of the stock market at a given time period. Essentially you would use the level of entropy to determine the level of chaos/probability in the market.
While it is undoubtedly possible, there is a very real possibility that the mathematics involved is beyond the ability of ThinkOrSwim to model in real, or near-real time in any effective way -- if it is possible to compute in ToS at all that is.

That said, there is a possibility that an indicator could be coaxed out of data outside of ToS that could be used inside ToS. I've done this with the next-hour statistical indicator I created. It is a python script that does all the statistical calculations and spits out coefficients to a ToS indicator script.

This makes for interesting reading. Thank you. I'll give it a bit of thought. I enjoy these kinds of things.

-mashume

While it is undoubtedly possible, there is a very real possibility that the mathematics involved is beyond the ability of ThinkOrSwim to model in real, or near-real time in any effective way -- if it is possible to compute in ToS at all that is.

That said, there is a possibility that an indicator could be coaxed out of data outside of ToS that could be used inside ToS. I've done this with the next-hour statistical indicator I created. It is a python script that does all the statistical calculations and spits out coefficients to a ToS indicator script.

This makes for interesting reading. Thank you. I'll give it a bit of thought. I enjoy these kinds of things.

-mashume
mashume:- Could you please share how to bring data from outside python or c++ scripts into tos? Just a guide with example. Thank you!!

Here are two links to posts in a thread.

https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...ut-prediction-for-thinkorswim.6282/post-61282

https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...ut-prediction-for-thinkorswim.6282/post-61124

The first has a link to a notebook hosted in google collab which generates a ThinkScript indicator script. That code is hand-copied into the indicator code window in ToS.

The data is not used directly in ToS as data. It is massaged with python to become the code for the ToS indicator.

If I can explain more, do ask. I'll see how I can help.

-mashume

Here are two links to posts in a thread.

https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...ut-prediction-for-thinkorswim.6282/post-61282

https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...ut-prediction-for-thinkorswim.6282/post-61124

The first has a link to a notebook hosted in google collab which generates a ThinkScript indicator script. That code is hand-copied into the indicator code window in ToS.

The data is not used directly in ToS as data. It is massaged with python to become the code for the ToS indicator.

If I can explain more, do ask. I'll see how I can help.

-mashume
Thank you!!

-mashume
Thanks! That’s very interesting. I’d like to learn the basics of all this math and science so that I could start creating indicators based on this.

Do you have any suggestions of where I can start?

Thanks! That’s very interesting. I’d like to learn the basics of all this math and science so that I could start creating indicators based on this.

Do you have any suggestions of where I can start?
wikipedia is your best friend (and worst teacher / rabbit hole of knowledge and despair)

In all seriousness, I took a bunch of years of physics and mathematics and ended up teaching physics for a few years. I've also been programming computers and bending them to my will since some time in the early 1980s.

The maths and science are not really that difficult, once you have some basic handle on how mathematical proofs are built... but they can (are designed by authors?!?) to be intimidating.

On of the ways to learn how to program a complex function is to look for a function you are interested in and see if you can find a FORTRAN implementation of it. Fortran was a great scientific language back in the day (still used extensively in some sciences as it's well proven) and a very readable source code base. People tended to write concise fortran code that didn't make a bunch of imported function / package calls or include an object-oriented garbage and so it is simpler to see what the code is doing.

not sure how much concrete stuff there is in that brain dump to help you on your way, but feel free to write back with things you're working on.

-mashume

This is great, thanks! I shall do so.

Currently I am working on creating an indicator based on hurst cycles based on a subjective interpretation of the market. After that I hope to combine that with teachings based on Mandelbrot. I am very far from achieving these goals though, I only know simple math but in these past few months I have become extremely interested in science and thinkscript.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
350 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back