Dollar Gamma Calculation

S

samks_30

VIP
Does anyone here have an idea on how the GEX and DIX are calculated on https://squeezemetrics.com/monitor/dix? I download CBOE quotedata file and try to multiply gamma by OI at every strike for both calls and puts to get an idea on where the market stands. Any help on calculating daily dollar/gamma exposure would be grateful. Thanks!

C

codydog

On his website he had a detailed white paper on how he does it. Also in the tool section he provides for free what you may be looking for. I'm on my phone but I think his fee is less than $100/month. If you can't find it let me know I'll post links later.

Here's what I meant to say, try - http://stocks.tradingvolatility.net/gexDashboard

GEX/volume may be helpful

Last edited:
S

samks_30

VIP
Thanks for your reply @codydog! I read his white paper already and came up with the calculation that i mentioned in my initial post. For GEX he charges $1000/3 months not $100. I also follow tradingvolatility and spotgamma sites. But there is more to what's already there in public. I wanted to start a thread to check if there are any people working on gamma here so we could work together on building something useful for everyone here.

markos

markos

VIP
Warehouse
As a reminder, SocGen’s derivatives strategists wrote last month that most large daily moves in stocks (where “large” means magnitudes bigger than 1.5%) since May came “when the previous day’s aggregate gamma estimate was negative”. Wednesday’s action fit that description.
@skynetgen The Heisenberg is pretty good reading. He's got his ear to the ground. Whether he's correct or not, time will tell. I know of a few active traders that are into Gamma scalping. I stay away because of the day job, I'd hate to miss a turn...

C

codydog

@markos - i dont use it for gamma scalps, its useful to know whch way dealers are positioned and where their hedgin MAY kick in. Dealers tend to be long calls, short puts from customers but if selling calls stops being fun, it'll flip quickly. Although many swear by selling calls, the money in it has dropped as vol has, so, works until it doesnt i guess

S

samks_30

VIP
Here is what i have so far:
1. Call Gamma: Calculate call gamma for each strike: gamma * OI
2. Put Gamma: Calculate put gamma for each strike: gamma * OI
3. Total Call Gamma: Sum call gamma
4. Total Put gamma: Sum put gamma
5. Gamma: Subtract total call gamma from total put gamma
6. Dollar Gamma: 1/2 * Gamma * Sq of (Underlying Price * 0.01)

Call gamma and put gamma need to be calculated for all open strikes (for SPX there are <7000 strikes).

Let me know your thoughts.

markos

markos

VIP
Warehouse
@codydog this is really good. I read a number of the blogs, this guy is on it. I will be an interested bystander as you, @samks_30 and who ever else works on this.

In 5 minutes I will post code from Mobius that may or may not be useful to change into a gamma oriented indicator. Thanks!

Last edited:
S

samks_30

VIP
In the options layout screen, choose custom column and use below formula to have dollar gamma displayed along side with delta and prob of touching as NextSignals.

Plot DollarGamma = Open_Interest() * gamma();

C

codydog

@samks_30 - how do i get the formula into the layout? I see the custom columns but dont understand the protocol for inserting the formula. Thanks

MBF

MBF

VIP
Warehouse
@samks_30 - how do i get the formula into the layout? I see the custom columns but dont understand the protocol for inserting the formula. Thanks
Typically you would create it as a new study, then go to the option chain, hit layout, customize and then the arrow and custom quotes and find it there. Didn't work for me either.

S

samks_30

VIP
Within the options layout, go to customize layout and click on the icon on 'custom column' to open the script editor. Mouse click need to be on the left icon not on the column name.

C

codydog

Excellent ! Thank you

It was just pointed out to me, that tos can export RTD to excel, where we can make our own columns/rows. I haven't thought about RTD for years, does anyone have an example(s)?

Thanks

Last edited: