Does OnDemand even work anymore?

rottentrade

OnDemand used to work great...like 10 years ago before ThinkorSwim was acquired by Ameritrade. Now, it either freezes up or is in an eternal "prebuffering" mode. Completely useless by all account.

And I don't know why they can't just provide more flexibility like being able to apply OnDemand for only the charts and not the entire platform like DOM or T&S. This would drastically cut down on memory. Also, I don't need the chart to be shown tick by tick. So it would be better to have an option to select between tick or bar.

Anyway, can anyone send this to the proper channel at Ameritrade (now Chuck Schwab)?

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

OnDemand used to work great...like 10 years ago before ThinkorSwim was acquired by Ameritrade. Now, it either freezes up or is in an eternal "prebuffering" mode. Completely useless by all account.

And I don't know why they can't just provide more flexibility like being able to apply OnDemand for only the charts and not the entire platform like DOM or T&S. This would drastically cut down on memory. Also, I don't need the chart to be shown tick by tick. So it would be better to have an option to select between tick or bar.

Anyway, can anyone send this to the proper channel at Ameritrade (now Chuck Schwab)?
I've been on TOS almost since the beginning and OnDemand (it used to called something else) has always been slow enough that I seldom used it. It became even slower as the retail investor numbers started exploding about 10 years ago, and an even greater influx with the CZA (Coronavirus Zombie Apocalypse). I have a good internet connection and for me, with every date/time modification it goes into prebuffering for 30 seconds to several minutes, so I very seldom use it.

Make sure you desktop/laptop/etc have 8GB+ memory and quad processing power, have been using OnDemand for testing strategies and it does work but takes lot of memory and processing.

Well. I do need the chart to be shown tick by tick. So. Better to not touch anything here.
Just more powerful PC everything you need. If something is working well - DO NOT TOUCH. Rule #1.

guys it may work better if you remove every indicator that you have. maybe one moving average that's it. give that a try and see if it helps.

guys it may work better if you remove every indicator that you have. maybe one moving average that's it. give that a try and see if it helps.
I have used it with at least 4 indicators and it does work as long as you have good amount of RAM.... if you have option to add more RAM go for it, worth it if you use TOS as primary platform

I've been on TOS almost since the beginning and OnDemand (it used to called something else) has always been slow enough that I seldom used it. It became even slower as the retail investor numbers started exploding about 10 years ago, and an even greater influx with the CZA (Coronavirus Zombie Apocalypse). I have a good internet connection and for me, with every date/time modification it goes into prebuffering for 30 seconds to several minutes, so I very seldom use it.
I have been with ToS since back when Tom Sosnoff (sp?) was hosting guest appearances after RTH. I believe OnDemand was called something like ThinkBack or some such corny name. Regardless it was slow as molasses in January back then as it is today. Too much usage overwhelming a system designed in the eighties or nineties?

No offense, but what good is that? I mean, the whole purpose of using OnDemand is to test your strategy and the indicators play an important role in that respect.

The tos on-demand has never worked very well for me. I have an i7 chip computer with lots of memory and an ssd drive. What does work is market replay by ninjatrader. Ninja is no good for trading options though.

It's still bad as ever, but I think the culprit is with the "pre-buffering".

If I press the PAUSE button and let it sit for about 3-5 minutes to let it collect all the data, OnDemand plays fine.

Another thing is that LESS IS ALWAYS BETTER. Unless you absolutely require previous data, limit your data to 1 day or less. Even better is to run it on the Intraday timeframe.

It's still bad as ever, but I think the culprit is with the "pre-buffering".

If I press the PAUSE button and let it sit for about 3-5 minutes to let it collect all the data, OnDemand plays fine.

Another thing is that LESS IS ALWAYS BETTER. Unless you absolutely require previous data, limit your data to 1 day or less. Even better is to run it on the Intraday timeframe.
I can;t even get it to load up. Been with TOS over 10 years and never got to use it. Gave up trying about 8 years ago:rolleyes:

I use WonderShare Filmora to record all of my sessions. (Trade the ES in the morning) then can go back and review what happened. I put the recordings on a separate drive to keep the videos from taking up all the space on the main computer.

I use WonderShare Filmora to record all of my sessions. (Trade the ES in the morning) then can go back and review what happened. I put the recordings on a separate drive to keep the videos from taking up all the space on the main computer.

Genius!

I still struggle with OnDemand. Only one chart and 2 indicators. I'm going to upgrade my system and try to use it. I will report later.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
465 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back