"CompoundValue"

JCN

Hi think-Script community.

I found this code (see below) here https://usethinkscript.com/threads/consecutive-bar-count-indicator-for-thinkorswim.324/ and modified it to suit my purpose and it works really well as you can see in the photos below (the "def Condition" is only for demonstration purposes, this isn't my trade signal).

The first one gives me accumulated positive bars with a two-bar cushion (the within 2 bars added), once the cycle is broken it returns to zero.

The second chart with the modified 11th line ("else barUpCount[1]") you can see below it keeps accumulating and never returns to zero.

What I've been trying to do over the last few days unsuccessfully, is find whereby the total amount of signals in any given time spell, say one hour (see below 10-minute bars).

BAR 1 = 1 Result = 1
BAR 2 = 0 Result = 1
BAR 3 = 1 Result = 2
BAR 4 = 1 Result = 3
BAR 5 = 0 Result = 3
BAR 6 = 0 Result = 3
BAR 7 = 0 Result = 3
BAR 8 = 0 Result = 3
BAR 9 = 0 Result = 3
BAR 10 = 0 Result = 0

Then returning to zero and then restart the cycle, if no new signal occurs on the 6th bar after one hour having elapsed.

#1st CODE#

declare lower;
declare once_per_bar;
def zeroLine = 10;
plot pZeroLine = zeroLine;
pZeroLine.SetDefaultColor(Color.RED);
def upLine = 3;
plot pUpLine = upLine;
pUpLine.SetDefaultColor(Color.GREEN);
def Condition = (close is greater than reference VWAP()."VWAP" and high is not equal to low and close is greater than open and close is greater than close from 1 bars ago) within 2 bars;
def Conbar = Condition [0];
def barUpCount = CompoundValue (1, if Conbar then barUpCount[1] + 1 else 0, 0);
plot pBarUpCount = if barUpCount > 0 then barUpCount else 0;
pBarUpCount.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HISTOGRAM);
pBarUpCount.AssignValueColor(Color.GREEN);

g3ru4cg.jpg

(#2nd CODE changed 11th line#)

def barUpCount = CompoundValue (1, if Conbar then barUpCount[1] + 1 else barUpCount[1], 0);

AGNP5IN.jpg

Anyone that can help? it would be much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Jean-Claude

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

I found this code (see below) here https://usethinkscript.com/threads/consecutive-bar-count-indicator-for-thinkorswim.324/ and modified it to suit my purpose and it works really well as you can see in the photos below (the "def Condition" is only for demonstration purposes, this isn't my trade signal).

The first one gives me accumulated positive bars with a two-bar cushion (the within 2 bars added), once the cycle is broken it returns to zero.

The second chart with the modified 11th line ("else barUpCount[1]") you can see below it keeps accumulating and never returns to zero.

What I've been trying to do over the last few days unsuccessfully, is find whereby the total amount of signals in any...

What I've been trying to do over the last few days unsuccessfully, is find whereby the total amount of signals in any given time spell, say one hour (see below 10-minute bars).

BAR 1 = 1 Result = 1
BAR 2 = 0 Result = 1
BAR 3 = 1 Result = 2
BAR 4 = 1 Result = 3
BAR 5 = 0 Result = 3
BAR 6 = 0 Result = 3
BAR 7 = 0 Result = 3
BAR 8 = 0 Result = 3
BAR 9 = 0 Result = 3
BAR 10 = 0 Result = 0

Then returning to zero and then restart the cycle, if no new signal occurs on the 6th bar after one hour having elapsed.

#1st CODE#

declare lower;
declare once_per_bar;
def zeroLine = 10;
def upLine = 3;
plot pUpLine = upLine;
def Condition = (close is greater than reference VWAP()."VWAP" and high is not equal to low and close is greater than open and close is greater than close from 1 bars ago) within 2 bars;
def barUpCount = CompoundValue (1, if Conbar then barUpCount[1] + 1 else 0, 0);

g3ru4cg.jpg

(#2nd CODE changed 11th line#)

def barUpCount = CompoundValue (1, if Conbar then barUpCount[1] + 1 else barUpCount[1], 0);

AGNP5IN.jpg

Anyone that can help? it would be much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Jean-Claude

See if this helps.

It will count consecutive conbars as Histogram with count in a bubble above the Histogram bars.
A time interval is defined in minutes and the conbars within are counted and displayed in bubbles beneath the Histogram bars

The image shows a magenta VWAP line on the price graph

Screenshot-2022-10-28-131319.png
Ruby:
declare lower;
declare once_per_bar;

#Defines Interval in minutes to accumulate data
input minutes    = 60;
input multiplier = 1;
input showverticalline = yes;
input begin   = 0930;
input end     = 1600;
def bar       = if SecondsTillTime(begin) == 0 and
                   SecondsFromTime(begin) == 0
                then 0
                else bar[1] + 1;
def x         = bar % ((minutes * multiplier) / (GetAggregationPeriod() / 60000)) == 0;
AddVerticalLine(if showverticalline and SecondsFromTime(begin) >= 0
                then x
                else Double.NaN,
                color = Color.white, stroke = Curve.FIRM);
###################

def zeroLine = 10;

#Conbar Defined
def upLine = 3;
plot pUpLine = upLine;

#Conbar when true displayed as Histogram and Consecutive Count in Bubble when true
def barUpCount = CompoundValue (1, if Conbar then barUpCount[1] + 1 else if !conbar then 0 else barUpCount[1], 0);
addchartBubble(pbarupcount, pbarupCount, pbarupcount);

#Conbar Cumulative Count in Bubble per Minutes Entered Above
def conbarsinterval = if x
                      then if conbar then 1 else 0
                      else if conbar
                      then conbarsinterval[1]+1
                      else conbarsinterval[1];

plot bottom = -5;#Bottom spacer to avoid hiding the Histogram
addchartBubble(conbarsinterval!=conbarsinterval[1], 0 , conbarsinterval, color.gray, no);

Solution
See if this helps.

It will count consecutive conbars as Histogram with count in a bubble above the Histogram bars.
A time interval is defined in minutes and the conbars within are counted and displayed in bubbles beneath the Histogram bars

See if this helps.

Thank you SleepyZ, I don't know how you did it and (so quickly) but that is exactly what I was looking for.
I will spend the next few days implementing it with my strategy on my TOS platform. I will keep you informed on my progressed.
If you are ever in this part of the world let me know and I will buy you a beer!

Jean-Claude

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pupu Coding Help: Fold vs CompoundValue Questions 1
D CompoundValue Function Questions 5