Complete list of all Moving Averages!

I'm astonished at the myriad varieties of moving averages I've come across or seen mentioned here and other places. I'd like to compile as complete a list as possible of them (at least the useful ones), with formulae/code and background info (who invented and when, etc.) when possible.

I'll start it off with the obvious ones, of which I'm familiar. Please anyone who can add to this list please do so! I'll keep the list in this first post updated with new submissions/revisions as they come in.

Encyclopedia of Moving Averages

PDF File

For convenience, I've converted the list to a PDF document shared via the link above. This will be helpful because:
  • The list will likely grow quite large, and would be unwieldy in a forum post
  • I can modify it as a Word document, which provides more flexibility
  • I can modify it as I go along and update the online copy only as appropriate
  • You all won't be pinged every time I make an update (if you're watching this thread)

Last edited:
When reviewing all these 'Moving Average' indicators, one is heads above the rest. There is a potential for it to provide a slight advantage in leading data and prediction of pps movement, which has the others being seen as following, even with the most recent and up to the second data. I'd give it to you, but then they'd try to find me and put me in SEC jail. If you guess the right one, I will acknowledge your effort and provide an extensive and rational method for you to use when trading.

Mmmm, interesting! I'll add it in when I get the chance. Thank you!

When reviewing all these 'Moving Average' indicators, one is heads above the rest...
...If you guess the right one, I will acknowledge your effort and provide an extensive and rational method for you to use when trading.
I'm not really into the guessing game... if you have a 'Holy Grail' indicator, feel free to share it with the community!

OK MM, so it will remain unknown, although it is listed in your opening.

As you've probably already noticed, or perhaps are a part of, there is a Website which takes the indicators coded by great individuals (for free) and relists them at a cost to the general public. Not a bad gig, but I feel it takes advantage of great coders and sells to the traders searching for that "Holy Grail."

So, in the same breath, I don't want to be and don't need to be made a mule for the ones needing to resell anything on this site. That's just the way I feel.

Everything I learned from usethinkscript is free, as it should be, and I have done very well this past year with those free scripts. I will not provide proof, its irrelevant to this thread.

Anyway, good luck with the search, maybe you will find it somewhere for free, or perhaps it may cost something.

When reviewing all these 'Moving Average' indicators, one is heads above the rest. There is a potential for it to provide a slight advantage in leading data and prediction of pps movement, which has the others being seen as following, even with the most recent and up to the second data. I'd give it to you, but then they'd try to find me and put me in SEC jail. If you guess the right one, I will acknowledge your effort and provide an extensive and rational method for you to use when trading.
Gonna go with the ALMA, given its 'look left' and 'look right' approach. Reduces lag and increases smoothness simultaneously. Pair it with some short-term EMA's and use ALMA as a 'trend' indicator, perhaps. Can't wait for someone to guess the right answer so you can expound!

OK MM, so it will remain unknown, although it is listed in your opening.

As you've probably already noticed, or perhaps are a part of, there is a Website which takes the indicators coded by great individuals (for free) and relists them at a cost to the general public. Not a bad gig, but I feel it takes advantage of great coders and sells to the traders searching for that "Holy Grail."

So, in the same breath, I don't want to be and don't need to be made a mule for the ones needing to resell anything on this site. That's just the way I feel.

Everything I learned from usethinkscript is free, as it should be, and I have done very well this past year with those free scripts. I will not provide proof, its irrelevant to this thread.

Anyway, good luck with the search, maybe you will find it somewhere for free, or perhaps it may cost something.

That is one thing I despise. This community is a group of traders who are seeking a better way of life. All of us could build a website and pick out the very best indicators and sell them for a profit. We don't because its wrong. By all means...... if you are the sole creator of a indicator and you choose to monetize it then that's your right but don't come here stealing other peoples work. That is just sad.

If you put them all on one chart it wouldn't be hard to see which one reflects the change in price direction and which one allows the price to move far away from it before reacting to the change. Do it using Range Chart and see for yourself.

I have to agree that there is no best Moving Average... It's all relative... No moving Average works best in every scenario... Security volatility, volume fluctuations, chop, trend, timeframes and more all come into play and some Moving Averages work better in some situations than others... That is why we see instances where Wilders works best while in others Hull or Exponential might be preferred... Finding what works best for an individual trade routine under varying circumstances is more important than saying one average type fits all...

I had posted a white paper a long time ago here that analyzed most MAs in different markets and rated them, I remember vaguely our host here posted the paper somewhere but I dont remember where. If its been lost, I can go through my stuff and re-post it .

Let me know if there is any interest

i posted my idea of averages hoping adios would post his method, i always find it fun to look over a new method ,
perhaps a new method will sharpen my attempts at trading! i think we were just teased. whats that monte game they play ?

I had posted a white paper a long time ago here that analyzed most MAs in different markets and rated them, I remember vaguely our host here posted the paper somewhere but I dont remember where. If its been lost, I can go through my stuff and re-post it .

Let me know if there is any interest
absolutely!

Still hoping we hear back from @Adeodatus...

@codydog Yes, please! Moving averages are such a fundamental part of investment strategy so your paper would be very helpful.

@codydog, this appears to be a purchase-only paper ($29.95). Is that correct, or am I missing something?

I've added a couple of new suggestions; I'll try to do some research as to what they are, how they're calculated, who invented them, etc., as time allows. If any of you can fill in details of this kind or provide helpful links, that would be very... helpful!

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
514 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back