Calculating the number of bars since a lower low (or higher high)

TNTrader5159

How would I calculate the number of bars since a lower low vs the present bar? I take it to subtract the bar number of that most recent occurrence of a lower low from the current bar number to determine the range. I do not know how to write that, and the official tutorials are not indicative enough to my somewhat untrained eye.

Then I would also want to calculate the number of bars since both the highest and lowest prices within that range (assuming it is big enough to be worth counting, which I already know how to qualify). I believe HighestAll would be in order, but again I am unsure of the parameters of that function.

The objective is to find low and high pivot points and measure the number of bars higher/lower on each side AND find the relative locations of the highest and lowest prices within each of those ranges going back until the most recent occurrence of a lower/higher price that would truncate the range.

Please enlighten me with my advance thanks!

Matt

Solution
How would I calculate the number of bars since a lower low vs the present bar? I take it to subtract the bar number of that most recent occurrence of a lower low from the current bar number to determine the range. I do not know how to write that, and the official tutorials are not indicative enough to my somewhat untrained eye.

Then I would also want to calculate the number of bars since both the highest and lowest prices within that range (assuming it is big enough to be worth counting, which I already know how to qualify). I believe HighestAll would be in order, but again I am unsure of the parameters of that function.

The objective is to find low and high pivot points and measure the number of bars higher/lower on each side...
I appreciate your response and the resolution. I've been watching this etf (Labu) nonstop for the last 30 minutes. When the up arrow appears (
at least during the time I was watching, the up arrow didn't get repainted)., the alert occasionally works and occasionally doesn't.
I came up with the answer myself. The alert always functioned with this code.

Alert(Valley within 2 bars , "Long within 2 bars", Alert.BAR, Sound.ring);

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Comparing past highs to current high

In case anyone is thinking about trading this Labor Day weekend...
<p>
How would you express a comparison of past highs with the current high? I would say that "if the high of any past bar is greater than the current bar's high to return the bar number of that high and subtract it from the current bar number to yield how many bars ago it occurred." I'm actually looking for the most recent fulfillment of that condition and how many bars back it occurred.
</p>
<p>
Thanks!
</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparing past highs to current high

In case anyone is thinking about trading this Labor Day weekend...
<p>
How would you express a comparison of past highs with the current high? I would say that "if the high of any past bar is greater than the current bar's high to return the bar number of that high and subtract it from the current bar number to yield how many bars ago it occurred." I'm actually looking for the most recent fulfillment of that condition and how many bars back it occurred.

EDIT code,

forgot the ,no) at the end of bubble
change to , with p = 1
if offset = barnumber, then no higher high was found, set to 0

see if this produces the offsets you are looking for,
untested.

on every bar,
find offset of most recent , prev high,
that is > current high.
on each bar, run a loop that looks at previous bars and compares the highs.
as long as the prev high is < current high, it keeps looping. as long as the while code line is true.

Code:
def bn = barnumber();
def prev_hi_offset = fold i = 1 to bn
with p = 1
while getvalue(high, i) < high
do p + 1;

def adj_off = if prev_hi_offset == bn then 0 else prev_hi_offset;

addchartbubble(1, low*0.990,
bn + "\n" +
high + "\n" +
"prev higher hi \n" +
adj_off + "\n" +
#prev_hi_offset + "\n" +
"bars ago"
, (if adj_off > 0 then color.yellow else color.gray), no);
#

Last edited:
see if this produces the offsets you are looking for,
untested.

on every bar,
find offset of most recent , prev high,
that is > current high.
on each bar, run a loop that looks at previous bars and compares the highs.
as long as the prev high is < current high, it keeps looping. as long as the while code line is true.

if the count is off, try changing
with p = 0
to
with p = 1

Code:
def bn = barnumber();
def prev_hi_offset = fold i = 1 to bn
with p = 0
while getvalue(high, i) < high
do p + 1;

addchartbubble(1, low*0.994,
bn + "\n" +
high + "\n" +
"prev higher hi \n" +
prev_hi_offset + "\n" +
"bars ago"
, color.yellow);

Good to see you again halcyonguy and thank you! (My HTML code fell flat) The only challenge remaining now is determining which came first -- the high or the low of a bar without complex divisions of the current bar into smaller aggregates. I'm still failing to understand how best to determine that. In real time it would generate a signal when both conditions have been met intrabar, but it would still not note which was met FIRST. Will GetTime work for determining a high's or low's time of occurrence for comparison purposes?

Good to see you again halcyonguy and thank you! (My HTML code fell flat) The only challenge remaining now is determining which came first -- the high or the low of a bar without complex divisions of the current bar into smaller aggregates. I'm still failing to understand how best to determine that. In real time it would generate a signal when both conditions have been met intrabar, but it would still not note which was met FIRST. Will GetTime work for determining a high's or low's time of occurrence for comparison purposes?
As answered in your other thread on this subject:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...-first-within-a-single-bar.12431/#post-106753

There are no functions available that will provide the intra-candle calculations that you have been looking for.
The data does not exist.

As explained already, the only work-around is the interpolations of highs and lows using multiple lower timeframes to form a guess-imate.

Last edited:
As answered in your other thread on this subject:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...-first-within-a-single-bar.12431/#post-106753

There are no functions available that will provide the intra-candle calculations that you have been looking for.
The data does not exist.

As explained already, the only work-around is the interpolations of highs and lows using multiple timeframes to form a guess-imate.
I'm sorry for the redundancy, as I am ill and have holes in my memory. Thank you again for directing me to this information.

this will find how many bars back to the recent peak or valley.
i'm not sure what you mean in the last sentence.

Code:
# bars_since_low_0

def na = double.nan;
def bn = BarNumber();
def lastbn = highestall(if isnan(close) then 0 else bn);
def lastcls = if lastbn then close else lastcls[1];
#def lastbar = (!isnan(close) and isnan(close[-1]));

input show_peak_valley_arrows = yes;
def spva = show_peak_valley_arrows;

input len = 4;

#input length = 10;
#def bn = BarNumber();
#def lastBar = HighestAll(if IsNaN(close) then 0 else bn);
def offset = Min(len - 1, lastbn - bn);
#def swingLow = low < Lowest(low[1], len - 1) and low == GetValue(Lowest(low, len), -offset);

#--------------------------
#valley section
#def Valley = low < Lowest(low[1], len) and low < Lowest(low[-len], len);
def valley = low < Lowest(low[1], len - 1) and low == GetValue(Lowest(low, len), -offset);

plot ArrowUP = if spva then Valley else na;
ArrowUP.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
ArrowUP.SetDefaultColor(Color.WHITE);
ArrowUP.SetLineWeight(2);

#---------------------------
#peak section
#def Peak = high > highest(high[1], len) and high > highest(high[-len], len);
def peak = high < highest(high[1], len - 1) and high == GetValue(highest(high, len), -offset);

plot ArrowDN = if spva then Peak else na;
ArrowDN.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);
ArrowDN.SetDefaultColor(Color.WHITE);
ArrowDN.SetLineWeight(2);

# -------------------------

def lolo = if bn == 1 then 9999 else if valley and low < lolo[1] then low else lolo[1];
def lolobn = if bn == 1 then 0 else if lolo[1] != lolo then bn else lolobn[1];

def hihi = if bn == 1 then 0 else if peak and high > hihi[1] then high else hihi[1];
def hihibn = if bn == 1 then 0 else if hihi[1] != hihi then bn else hihibn[1];

def valleybars = if bn == 1 then 0 else if lastbn then bn - lolobn else valleybars[1];
def peakbars = if bn == 1 then 0 else if lastbn then bn - hihibn else peakbars[1];

def new_low = (valley and low < lolo[1]);
def new_high = (peak and high > hihi[1]);

addlabel(1, "bars since valley " + valleybars, color.yellow);
addlabel(1, "bars since peak " + peakbars, color.yellow);

addchartbubble(1, low*0.99,
bn + "\n" +
lastbn + "\n" +
hihi + " hh\n" +
hihibn + " hhbn\n" +
lolo + " ll\n" +
lolobn + " llbn\n"
, (if new_high then color.green else if new_low then color.red else color.gray), no);

#
I believe this code contains a typo. I believe that this
(def peak = high > highest(high[1], len - 1) and high == GetValue(highest(high, len), -offset);) ,
rather than this
(def peak = high < highest(high[1], len - 1) and high == GetValue(highest(high, len), -offset);)
is the proper code. Could you verify? Many thanks

(def peak = high > highest(high[1], len - 1) and high == GetValue(highest(high, len), -offset);) ,
rather than this
(def peak = high < highest(high[1], len - 1) and high == GetValue(highest(high, len), -offset);)
I'm worn out tonight but will check this tomorrow. Many thanks back.

rather than this

you are correct. i made a mistake when copying a formula. thanks for finding it.
i updated my post #2 code