Assistance with daily bar data and displaying on a lower time frame please.

DrTrev4

Code:
input length = 20;

def period = aggregationPeriod.DAY;

def wick = fold i = 0 to length
    with w
    do if open(GetSymbol(), period)[i] >= close(GetSymbol(), period)[i]
    then w + (high(GetSymbol(), period)[i] - open(GetSymbol(), period)[i])
    else w + (open(GetSymbol(), period)[i] - low(GetSymbol(), period)[i]);

plot avgBearReversal = open(GetSymbol(), period)[0] + (wick / length);
avgBearReversal.setPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
avgBearReversal.setDefaultColor(Color.RED);

plot avgBullReversal = open(GetSymbol(), period)[0] - (wick / length);
avgBullReversal.setPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
avgBullReversal.SetDefaultColor(Color.GREEN);

What I am doing here is finding the difference between open and the high or the difference between open and low dependant upon whether the close was lower or higher than the open (respectively) across 20 daily bars to establish an average potential price reversal.

NOTE I do not like working directly with the values and will be adding math to work more directly with percentages in the near future.

The problem I am having is, I am only using 20 daily bars which may contain any number of bullish or bearish days (so long as they combine to = 20). I do not want to assume price reacts the same on a bullish day vs a bearish day so I need to query the daily data for the 20 most recent bearish days and the 20 most recent bullish days for my calculations and plotting on a lower time frame.

I am new to ThinkScript and have learned so far that I cannot think about accomplishing tasks in the same way I would other programming languages. Without use of a traditional "for" or "while" loop I am struggling to wrap my mind around how to approach this.

Any help or guidance that might lead me down the correct path would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Code:
input length = 20;

with w

What I am doing here is finding the difference...
Code:
input length = 20;

with w

What I am doing here is finding the difference between open and the high or the difference between open and low dependant upon whether the close was lower or higher than the open (respectively) across 20 daily bars to establish an average potential price reversal.

NOTE I do not like working directly with the values and will be adding math to work more directly with percentages in the near future.

The problem I am having is, I am only using 20 daily bars which may contain any number of bullish or bearish days (so long as they combine to = 20). I do not want to assume price reacts the same on a bullish day vs a bearish day so I need to query the daily data for the 20 most recent bearish days and the 20 most recent bullish days for my calculations and plotting on a lower time frame.

I am new to ThinkScript and have learned so far that I cannot think about accomplishing tasks in the same way I would other programming languages. Without use of a traditional "for" or "while" loop I am struggling to wrap my mind around how to approach this.

Any help or guidance that might lead me down the correct path would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

sometimes using an offset on a variable in a fold may not work as expected. var[1]. it is suggested to use getvalue() within folds, to retrieve data. getvalue can be used anytime in place of an offset on a variable. sometimes getvalue will work with a formula for an offset, when the formula won't work as an offset on a variable.

maybe this will help. this study looks at previous bars and counts how many times a condition is true.
it could be changed to add up values when the condition is true. then after the fold, divide by 20, to get an average.

https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...st-65-most-recent-days.7483/page-2#post-72474

Solution

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

sometimes using an offset on a variable in a fold may not work as expected. var[1]. it is suggested to use getvalue() within folds, to retrieve data. getvalue can be used anytime in place of an offset on a variable. sometimes getvalue will work with a formula for an offset, when the formula won't work as an offset on a variable.

maybe this will help. this study looks at previous bars and counts how many times a condition is true.
it could be changed to add up values when the condition is true. then after the fold, divide by 20, to get an average.

https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...st-65-most-recent-days.7483/page-2#post-72474
I am assuming it is a syntax error that I have yet to figure out. Would you please explain why the if statement by itself is fine but the if statement that is inside the fold errors

Code:
def a;
def b;
if (a == 0)
then { b = a + 1; }
else { b = a + 2; }

def c = fold i = 0 to 20 with d = 0
    do if (a == 0)
    then { b = a + 1; }
    else { b = a + 2; }

Invalid Statement def c...
Invalid Statement }... (referencing "then" line of code
Invalid Statement }... (referencing "else" line of code

I know this is gonna be a face palm type of moment. It seems there is very little help on google for ThinkScript beyond...well...you lol

I am assuming it is a syntax error that I have yet to figure out. Would you please explain why the if statement by itself is fine but the if statement that is inside the fold errors

Code:
def a;
def b;
if (a == 0)
then { b = a + 1; }
else { b = a + 2; }

def c = fold i = 0 to 20 with d = 0
    do if (a == 0)
    then { b = a + 1; }
    else { b = a + 2; }

Invalid Statement def c...
Invalid Statement }... (referencing "then" line of code
Invalid Statement }... (referencing "else" line of code

I know this is gonna be a face palm type of moment. It seems there is very little help on google for ThinkScript beyond...well...you lol

a is not set to a value in your example, before it is referenced.

Code:
def a =  some formula.....

def b; 
if (a == 0) then { 
  b = a + 1; 
} else { 
  b = a + 2; 
}

maybe if-then with brackets don't work in a fold,...? i don't think i've tried that.

not sure what you want the fold to do.
fold won't use the end range number,it will stop at (20 - 1).
this will look at previous bars, the current and 19 previous bars. fold won't process 20, it will stop at 19.
depending the value of a, it will add up different numbers for c , for each bar.

Code:
def c = fold i = 0 to 20 
with d = 0 
do d + ( if (getvalue(a, i) == 0) then
 ( getvalue(a , i) + 1) 
else (getvalue(a, i) + 2) );

# show values under the bars
addchartbubble(1, low, "C " + c + "\nA " + a, color.yellow, no);