Alert on strategy?

S

sheldonxp

VIP
Is it possible to have alerts on a strategy? Or can they only be on studies?

BenTen

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
Your backtesting strategy is based on your regular study, wouldn't it make sense to have alerts on the regular study instead? Of course, you can add alerts to your backtesting strategy as well. I assume it would be the same condition.

S

sheldonxp

VIP
Thanks, yes I suppose it would. I was thinking that I want to plot the strategy to see it play out live instead of the study. If I load the study but uncheck plot, will the alert still sound?

BenTen

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
@sheldonxp It would be better if you post the regular study and backtesting strategy here, that way we can help you incorporate the alert into the strategy.

rad14733

rad14733

VIP
Thanks, yes I suppose it would. I was thinking that I want to plot the strategy to see it play out live instead of the study. If I load the study but uncheck plot, will the alert still sound?
The calculations for the entire study/strategy are still processed even if you don't paint the plot on your chart... So you can disable a plot and still receive an alert... However, I have seen chart bubbles paint and alerts fire even when a study/strategy has been disabled so I always include a way to disable chart bubbles and alerts as part of the conditions... So, essentially, disabling a study/strategy only disables plots, not chart bubbles or alerts... Hope my explanation was clear enough...

All that being said, I keep my study list limited to only those entries that are active because if they are in the list TOS processes the code whether anything gets displayed or not... Something for everyone to consider as far as processing overhead...

S

sheldonxp

VIP
@BenTen it is just the half trend indicator haha.

@rad14733 thanks for the explanation, appreciate it.