Looking For Input For HMA Strategy

METAL

Plus
I really think this is going to be a good strategy. I need to still add Labels so it will work with Macro Recorder. That isn't necessary though. I would like every ones feedback and criticism. Try it out. I will attempt to add labels. I also may add a couple of filters. Not sure if I will need them because with my testing so far, as long as you lengthen the Fast HMA, you can cut out most of the pullbacks and chop.

Latest Code:
HMA_V2 https://tos.mx/s900BxW

Code:
#Metal's-HMA-Strat-V1
#Credit @dap711 for providing the base code here https://usethinkscript.com/threads/moving-average-master-strategy-for-thinkorswim.13975/post-118000

input price = close;
input fastLength = 20;
input fastDisplace = 0;
input slowLength = 50;
input slowDisplace = 0;

plot Fast_HMA = MovingAverage(AverageType.HULL, price, fastLength)[-fastDisplace];
plot Slow_HMA = MovingAverage(AverageType.HULL, price, slowLength)[-slowDisplace];

Fast_HMA.DefineColor("Up", GetColor(1));
Fast_HMA.DefineColor("Down", GetColor(0));
Fast_HMA.AssignValueColor(if Fast_HMA > Fast_HMA[1] then Fast_HMA.Color("Up") else Fast_HMA.Color("Down"));

Slow_HMA.DefineColor("Up", GetColor(1));
Slow_HMA.DefineColor("Down", GetColor(0));
Slow_HMA.AssignValueColor(if Slow_HMA > Slow_HMA[1] then Slow_HMA.Color("Up") else Slow_HMA.Color("Down"));

plot BuySignal = if (Slow_HMA[1] <= Slow_HMA[2] and Slow_HMA > Slow_HMA[1]) then Slow_HMA else Double.NaN;
BuySignal.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.ARROW_UP);
BuySignal.AssignValueColor(Color.GREEN);
BuySignal.SetLineWeight(3);

plot SellSignal = if (Slow_HMA[1] >= Slow_HMA[2] and Slow_HMA < Slow_HMA[1]) then Slow_HMA else Double.NaN;
SellSignal.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.ARROW_DOWN);
SellSignal.AssignValueColor(Color.RED);
SellSignal.SetLineWeight(3);

plot BuyExit = if (Fast_HMA[1] >= Fast_HMA[2] and Fast_HMA < Fast_HMA[1]) then Fast_HMA else Double.NaN;
BuyExit.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.ARROW_DOWN);
BuyExit.AssignValueColor(Color.YELLOW);
BuyExit.SetLineWeight(3);

plot SellExit = if (Fast_HMA[1] <= Fast_HMA[2] and Fast_HMA > Fast_HMA[1]) then Fast_HMA else Double.NaN;
SellExit.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.ARROW_UP);
SellExit.AssignValueColor(Color.YELLOW);
SellExit.SetLineWeight(3);

AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_TO_OPEN, BuySignal, open[-1], 100, Color.GREEN, Color.GREEN);
AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_TO_CLOSE, SellSignal, open[-1], 100, Color.RED, Color.RED);
AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_TO_OPEN, BuyExit, open[-1], 100, Color.YELLOW, Color.YELLOW);
AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_TO_CLOSE, SellExit, open[-1], 100, Color.YELLOW, Color.YELLOW);

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: IPA
@METAL I hope all is well. Where you able to complete this strategy ?
Could you share the latest working version? Did you get it auto-trade successfully?
Thanks in advance.
I had a few different renditions, however this is the one I use everyday. I use a 2m TF for entries and exits. I use 17 for fast HMA and 34 for slow HMA. Depending on how you trade, you may want to adjust the lengths. For instance, I have had great success using 5 for fast and 10 for slow when scalping SPX.
https://tos.mx/Uq8Sd31

I had a few different renditions, however this is the one I use everyday. I use a 2m TF for entries and exits. I use 17 for fast HMA and 34 for slow HMA. Depending on how you trade, you may want to adjust the lengths. For instance, I have had great success using 5 for fast and 10 for slow when scalping SPX.
https://tos.mx/Uq8Sd31
Many thanks for your quick reply and sharing strategy updates.
I shall wait till tomorrow to import the shared item (facing the same TOS issue that started upon migration).
Have you automated your strategy (I could not help to notice you have mentioned Macro Recorder in your previous posts) ? Thanks again.

Many thanks for your quick reply and sharing strategy updates.
I shall wait till tomorrow to import the shared item (facing the same TOS issue that started upon migration).
Have you automated your strategy (I could not help to notice you have mentioned Macro Recorder in your previous posts) ? Thanks again.
No. I trade manually.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.