Custom script not executing intraday options trade

dgmtradelive

for the last 2+ months custom scripts I had been using for 6+ months have suddenly stop working. With dozens triggers but no execution. The Scripts were used to set the conditions in the order rules to buy Spy option contracts from the option chain. I've talked with TOS/Schwab reps with no success despite them observing where my orders would have been true with no execution. they suggested a few things, but nothing has worked. below is a list of things I've tried.
  • Consolidated and reduced the number lines of code 28 lines
  • Reduce the number of “def” statements
  • Changed the name of the script multiple times
  • Rebuilt the script from scratch with a new name
  • Removed recursion from the script
  • Submitted the order before and after the bell
  • Created my order from scratch the morning of instead of using a saved template
  • Tried different condition statements
    • condition from 1 bar ago is true
    • condition from 1 bar ago is greater than 0
    • condition from 1 bar ago is equal to 1
    • if condition from 1 bar ago then 1 else 0
  • I always use Market orders
  • I’ve tried setting order rules with both the Condition Wizard and the ThinkScript Editor with code completely Written out
  • I haven’t gotten any script complexity warnings
see shared chart with custom study
http://tos.mx/!La3OYckl

my goal is to make this script/study the condition that will execute my option trade.

Schwab's TOS Support should have informed you that your plot needs to be:

PLOT trigger = if trigger1x then 1 else 0;

And you don't need to paint arrows...

Each spike in the lower section is a Buy signal... Arrows won't make the orders fire... I did not verify your overall logic, only the firing issue itself...

As an aside, whenever you have a question about code, post the code itself rather than a link... I could have resolved this issue right here in the forums without the need to further clutter my TOS install with yet another piece of code...

1723667486591.png

Last edited:
for the last 2+ months custom scripts I had been using for 6+ months have suddenly stop working. With dozens triggers but no execution. The Scripts were used to set the conditions in the order rules to buy Spy option contracts from the option chain. I've talked with TOS/Schwab reps with no success despite them observing where my orders would have been true with no execution. they suggested a few things, but nothing has worked. below is a list of things I've tried.
  • Consolidated and reduced the number lines of code 28 lines
  • Reduce the number of “def” statements
  • Changed the name of the script multiple times
  • Rebuilt the script from scratch with a new name
  • Removed recursion from the script
  • Submitted the order before and after the bell
  • Created my order from scratch the morning of instead of using a saved template
  • Tried different condition statements
    • condition from 1 bar ago is true
    • condition from 1 bar ago is greater than 0
    • condition from 1 bar ago is equal to 1
    • if condition from 1 bar ago then 1 else 0
  • I always use Market orders
  • I’ve tried setting order rules with both the Condition Wizard and the ThinkScript Editor with code completely Written out
  • I haven’t gotten any script complexity warnings
see shared chart with custom study
http://tos.mx/!La3OYckl

my goal is to make this script/study the condition that will execute my option trade.
some guesses,

maybe it was a problem with portfolio functions? they stopped working awhile ago.
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...o-functions-in-thinkorswim.18808/#post-145019

maybe you are pulling the max data, after adding more watchlist studies or more option chain studies?
try to unload some studies.
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...icator-for-thinkorswim.4218/page-2#post-80177
Unfortunately the max number applies to ALL open watchlists AND\OR Activity\Position screens - I use %change by 5m; day; week and month columns in both watchlists AND Monitor Tab- ACTIVITY\POSITION tab in 3 groups and run into the issue alot, the issue is worse in the Paper trading account.- just have to split BIG watchlists into smaller ones to get around it, or use less watchlists.

you are calling for external data, from a study, which calls data from a function. (RSI, average).
if you put the function code in your study, it may save a few computer cycles.
go look at the study code and copy the relevant code and put in your study.

you are using low, close, high, bodyheight(), low(symbol = "$ADSPD"), ... many, many times. each time, the study has to read external data.
it is good practice , if something is to be used 3+ times, assign it to a variable and reference the variable.

Code:
#shared_SPYSIGNAL_NOREC2

#https://usethinkscript.com/threads/custom-script-not-executing-intraday-options-trade.19319/

def bodyht = bodyheight();
def lo = low;
def hi = high;
def cls = close;
def lo2 = low(symbol = "$ADSPD");

def regularSession = SecondsFromTime(0935) > 0 && SecondsTillTime(1305) > 0 ;

# rsi -------------------
#def RSIVal = RSI("length" = 2)."RSI";
input rsi_length = 2;
#input rsi_over_Bought = 70;
#input rsi_over_Sold = 30;
input rsi_price = close;
input rsi_averageType = AverageType.WILDERS;
#input showBreakoutSignals = no;
def NetChgAvg = MovingAverage(rsi_averageType, rsi_price - rsi_price[1], rsi_length);
def TotChgAvg = MovingAverage(rsi_averageType, AbsValue(rsi_price - rsi_price[1]), rsi_length);
def ChgRatio = if TotChgAvg != 0 then NetChgAvg / TotChgAvg else 0;
def RSIval = 50 * (ChgRatio + 1);
#def OverSold = rsi_over_Sold;
#def OverBought = rsi_over_Bought;
#def UpSignal = if RSI crosses above OverSold then OverSold else Double.NaN;
#def DownSignal = if RSI crosses below OverBought then OverBought else Double.NaN;
#--------------------------

def ttm = TTM_Squeeze()."Histogram" > 0;
def ttmf = TTM_Squeeze()."SqueezeAlert" is false;

# average----------------
#def sma50 = SimpleMovingAvg("length" = 50)."SMA";
#def sma20 = SimpleMovingAvg("length" = 20)."SMA";
#input avg1_type = AverageType.exponential;
input avg1_type = AverageType.Simple;
input avg1_length = 20;
def sma20 = MovingAverage(avg1_type, cls, avg1_length );
input avg2_type = AverageType.Simple;
input avg2_length = 50;
def sma50 = MovingAverage(avg2_type, cls, avg2_length );
#---------------------

def trigger1 = (RSIVal != Lowest(RSIVal, 20) and cls == Lowest(cls, 20)) and ttm within 12 bars and RSIVal < 12 and hi < sma20;
def triggerRSI = (((trigger1 is true within 6 bars and RSIVal > 30 and RSIVal < 50  and hi[1] < sma20 and hi[1] < sma50 and (Highest(hi, 16) - cls) < 2.4) and Median(Bodyht, 4) > .08 and bodyht >.06)
or ((((sma20-sma50) > .35 and sma20 > sma50 and (lo < sma50) and absvalue(cls-sma50) < .10 and (cls > lo) and absValue(cls-lo) > .04) within 3 bars and (rsival < 10 or rsival > 25) 
or ((cls-lo) > (5*bodyht) and bodyht > .05) 
or (((highest(lo,3))-(lowest(lo,3))) < .04 and (highest(hi,6)-lo) > .6))and bodyht > .01)) and regularSession;

def lodHistory = if regularSession then CompoundValue(1, lo[1], Double.NaN) else Double.NaN;
def lod = if regularSession then
     if lo < lodHistory then lo
     else lodHistory
   else lo;
def lowAD = if regularSession then
     if (lo2< lowAD[1]) then lo2
     else lowAD[1]
   else lo2;
def currentLowAD = lo2;
def ADLongSignal = lo == lod && currentLowAD > lowAD and RSIVal < 20;
def divergence = ((sum((cls > sma20),15)>13 and cls < sma20 and RSIVal < 5 and (bodyht > .60 or bodyht < .30)) or (sum((cls > sma50),15) > 13 and cls < sma50 and Sum(ttmf,15) > 10)) and regularSession;
def divergece2 = Sum(ADLongSignal, 3) > 1 and hi > hi[1] and bodyht > .05  and rsival < 30;

def trigger1x = ((divergence or divergece2) or triggerRSI);
PLOT trigger = trigger1x; 

trigger.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
trigger.SetDefaultColor(Color.WHITE);
trigger.SetLineWeight(5);
#

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.