Volume Contraction Pattern by Mark Minervini

N

Nick

2019 Donor
VIP
Hi, does anyone know if there is a TOS script similar to VCP created by Mark Minervini? Thank You

Last edited:
markos

markos

VIP
Have any of our coders looked into this? Would be great if time allows...

M

mw3541

is there a Volume contraction and breakout stratergy for great entry and timely exit please. any codes available?

M

malone1020

VIP
Hi, all -

Came across this free code/translation of Mark Minervi's popular Volatility Contraction Pattern (VCP) concept from an Amibroker forum. Anyone skilled in TOS scripting wanna give this a shot? I've seen this come up in other usethinkscript posts to no avail, so thought I would put it back out there to see if we can get a scanner or indicator going.

Code:
// VCP Search

// Goal is to easily find possible VCP pivots that are tight enough to be attractive to buy

// Must be used with an Amibroker analysis that selects only a universe of stocks that meet the trend template and

// other minimum requirements for an uptrending growth stock (per Minervini parameters)

// Michael Mustillo 2020/05/04

// Tunables ////////////////////////////////////////////////

{

Timeframe = 252; // one year of trading. Looking at growth stock a base is usually starts at a new ATH

// the above concept also tends to elminate stocks with too much overhead supply

VolTf = 50; // 50 days for volume averaging (similar to most IBD-inspired charts)

// Most good bases only retrace up to 30%. Even if the base is deeper, it's probably not a good

// idea to buy cheats pivots (3C patterns) that are really deep into the base

BaseLowerLimit = 0.6;

// Pivot length. How long does the last contraction need to be to qualify?

// Three days is probably the absolute minimum if combined with a dry-up in supply

PivotLength = 5;

// How wide can the pivot be to be a pivot? 6% seems to be a sweet spot for a high quality final contraction

// 10% is the limit

PVLimit = 0.10;

}

Ticker = Name();

// Filter parameters ///////////////////////////////////////

{

// Stock should not be making a new high, but be close to it

// initial correction in the base must be less than 30%, but could be more in a volatile or bear market

// Price within base

// find the highest price over the timeframe

HighPrice = HHV(C, Timeframe);

// Make sure the current price is till within the base and not too much below

NearHigh = C < HighPrice AND C > BaseLowerLimit * HighPrice;

// Average volume is decreasing

// volume must be contracting and/or below average, preferably both to ensure supply is indeed drying up

// Use the typical 50-day average for volume

Vma = MA(V, VolTf);

// A negative slope of the linear regression of the average volume should indicate supply trends

VolSlope = LinRegSlope(Vma, VolTf);

// Volume is indeed decreasing if slope is negative

VolDecreasing = VolSlope < 0;

// Pivot Quality

// The last few days must be tight, < 10%, preferably less than 6% if possible to get a tight entry and good

// stop-loss

// The high of the pivot should be in the first day of the pivot formation to really be a contraction

// The low can occur anywhere in the pivot

PivotHighPrice = HHV(H, PivotLength);

PivotLowPrice = LLV(L, PivotLength);

PivotWidth = (PivotHighPrice - PivotLowPrice)/C;

PivotStartHP = Ref(H, -PivotLength +1);

IsPivot = PivotWidth < PVLimit AND PivotHighPrice == PivotStartHP;

// Now make sure the volume is really drying up in the pivot area

// Set initial value to true

VolDryUp = True;

// loop throught PivotLength days and ensure volume is below average

for (i = 0; i < PivotLength; i++)

VolDryup = VolDryup AND Ref(V, -i) < Ref(Vma, -i);

}

// Filter results ///////////////////////////////////////////

Filter = NearHigh AND VolDecreasing AND IsPivot AND VolDryUp;

//EOF

Last edited by a moderator:
S

silver8ack

I tried... but I dont think its working as expected:
Code:
# VCP Search
declare lower;

# Goal is to easily find possible VCP pivots that are tight enough to be attractive to buy

# Must be used with an Amibroker analysis that selects only a universe of stocks that meet the trend template and
# other minimum requirements for an uptrending growth stock (per Minervini parameters)

# Michael Mustillo 2020/05/04

# Tunables ########################
input Timeframe          = 252;  # one year of trading. Looking at growth stock a base is usually starts at a new ATH
# the above concept also tends to elminate stocks with too much overhead supply

input VolTf             = 50;  # 50 days for volume averaging (similar to most IBD-inspired charts)

# Most good bases only retrace up to 30%. Even if the base is deeper, it's probably not a good
# idea to buy cheats pivots (3C patterns) that are really deep into the base
input BaseLowerLimit     = 0.6;

# Pivot length. How long does the last contraction need to be to qualify?
# Three days is probably the absolute minimum if combined with a dry-up in supply
input PivotLength     = 5;

# How wide can the pivot be to be a pivot? 6% seems to be a sweet spot for a high quality final contraction
# 10% is the limit
input PVLimit         = 0.10;

# Filter parameters ###################/
# Stock should not be making a new high, but be close to it
# initial correction in the base must be less than 30%, but could be more in a volatile or bear market

# Price within base
# find the highest price over the timeframe
#def HighPrice = Highest(close, Timeframe);
def HighPrice = Highest(high, Timeframe);

# Make sure the current price is till within the base and not too much below
def NearHigh  = close < HighPrice and close > BaseLowerLimit * HighPrice;

# Average volume is decreasing
# volume must be contracting and/or below average, preferably both to ensure supply is indeed drying up
# Use the typical 50-day average for volume
def Vma = SimpleMovingAvg(volume, VolTf);

# A negative slope of the linear regression of the average volume should indicate supply trends
def VolSlope = LinearRegressionSlope(Vma, VolTf);

# Volume is indeed decreasing if slope is negative
def VolDecreasing = VolSlope < 0;

# Pivot Quality
# The last few days must be tight, < 10%, preferably less than 6% if possible to get a tight entry and good
# stop-loss
# The high of the pivot should be in the first day of the pivot formation to really be a contraction
# The low can occur anywhere in the pivot
def PivotHighPrice  = Highest(high, PivotLength);
def PivotLowPrice    = Lowest(low, PivotLength);
def PivotWidth         = (PivotHighPrice - PivotLowPrice) / close;
#def PivotStartHP    = Ref(H, -PivotLength +1);
def PivotStartHP    = Highest(high, PivotLength)[PivotLength];
def IsPivot         = PivotWidth < PVLimit and PivotHighPrice == PivotStartHP;

# Now make sure the volume is really drying up in the pivot area
# Set initial value to true
#def VolDryUp = yes;

# loop throught PivotLength days and ensure volume is below average
#plot factorial = fold index = 1 to n + 1 with p = 1 do p * index;
def VolumeDrying = fold i = 0 to PivotLength - 1 with VolDryUp = yes do if VolDryUp and volume[i] < Vma[i] then yes else no;

#for (i = 0;
#i < PivotLength;
#i++)
#    VolDryup = VolDryup AND Ref(V, -i) < Ref(Vma, -i);
#}

# Filter results #####################/

plot scan = NearHigh and VolDecreasing and IsPivot and VolumeDrying;

#EOF

B

Break Trader

Hi guys, first i just want to say how great this site is and how amazing the work here is. i bow to everyone sharing here and say thank you to all!
i dont know the first thing about coding, i have tried to read and start learning here but man i get lost after "Plot"
was wondering if it is possible for some sort of Label or indicator, (preferably label) to trigger when a few factors are true, I try to trade according to Minervini strategy and there is so much to know and do to get all parameters correct that i miss many moves because i dont see it until its to late. so my request i think and hope is pretty simple seeing as i know some things havent been codded yet. im looking for something along the lines of 1) stock has been consolidating for a minimum of 5 days or bars up to 10 weeks/bars, 2) price is moving up out of consolidation and above pivot! 3) volume is increasing and or has spiked to show it will end the day + 100% over 50 day average or some way to show volume is high / higher than normal to signify a true breakout! it would also be cool if it can have a buy/sell with a strategy back test! Also if possible some sort of watch list label that turns green or something to indicate that stock has started to break out

Thank you in advance if anyone knows how to do this and is willing to share

Last edited: