ThinkorSwim App System Lag

Good Afternoon Traders! I've read a lot of posts around the web about how to speed up TOS but still looking for some answers.

Four main questions:
1) Does referencing built-in TOS studies in User Defined studies slow things down? (I reference SequenceCounter in one of my studies)
referencing several complex studies whether built-in or custom could potentially slow down charting.
Sequence Counter on its own, will not.

2) Does the AddCloud function slow things down? (I have a study that plots several different clouds simultaneously)
AddCloud is not a complex function, in of itself should not slow charting down

3) I have a study that is about 1500 lines long. It has references to TOS built-ins, uses several instances of ATR, EMA, Fibs, etc. It seems to really bog down TOS. Does anyone know if I separated out some of the sections into individual studies and then stacked them on a chart if that would improve performance?
The number of lines of code has no correlation to whether a script is complex.
Four lines of code with complex functions could be too complex.
2000 lines of simple plotting might be fine.

(I've heard TOS is a single-core/thread application so I'm guessing this won't help because there's still only one core doing the same amount of work...)
You are correct.

4) Does anyone know how to reference a TOS built-in study but also have that reference address a higher time-frame? In other words, if I wanted to see SequenceCounter values from a 15Min time frame but have them plotted on a 5Min chart is that possible?
Sequence Counter is a proprietary code. No modifications can be made to it.

Some traders run multiple instances of TOS on their systems - that's not going to help me if I want mostly everything on a single chart.
However, I have been running multiple instances lately and have allocated a minimum of 24GB of RAM to each instance. Can't quite tell if that's helping.
Here is a thread for the discussion of ram:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/ideal-memory-usage-settings-for-thinkorswim.10201/#post-128355

Here are more threads related to your discussion:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/maximum-amount-of-lines-in-a-script.8258/
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/thinkorswim-app-system-lag.1173/

Last edited:
Good Afternoon Traders! I've read a lot of posts around the web about how to speed up TOS but still looking for some answers.

Four main questions:
1) Does referencing built-in TOS studies in User Defined studies slow things down? (I reference SequenceCounter in one of my studies)

2) Does the AddCloud function slow things down? (I have a study that plots several different clouds simultaneously)

3) I have a study that is about 1500 lines long. It has references to TOS built-ins, uses several instances of ATR, EMA, Fibs, etc. It seems to really bog down TOS. Does anyone know if I separated out some of the sections into individual studies and then stacked them on a chart if that would improve performance? (I've heard TOS is a single-core/thread application so I'm guessing this won't help because there's still only one core doing the same amount of work...)

4) Does anyone know how to reference a TOS built-in study but also have that reference address a higher time-frame? In other words, if I wanted to see SequenceCounter values from a 15Min time frame but have them plotted on a 5Min chart is that possible?

Some traders run multiple instances of TOS on their systems - that's not going to help me if I want mostly everything on a single chart.
However, I have been running multiple instances lately and have allocated a minimum of 24GB of RAM to each instance. Can't quite tell if that's helping.

Thank you, folks, for any input you may have!
From my experience you can only intersect scan results from different time frames

Thinkorswim AppSystem lag is not generally the fault of TOS. You have to make sure your end is functioning properly. By that I mean you PC should be performing its best at all times. Temp files dumped regularly, cache and cookies cleared, DNS settings changed to Cloudflare or Google and not the default of your ISP, clock synced properly and other items. I hear this all the time from traders, "I have the latest and greatest gaming rig with all this ram and high end graphics, so I know it is not my system." It is great to have a high end PC, however, if it is not maintained properly, then it is not able to perform as it should.

I put together a video on PC maintenance tasks that I do almost every day before I start trading. Here is the link to the video I made:

Also, when you start up TOS and are on the login screen, click on the lower left gear icon and you will be able to adjust the memory settings to your preference. The minimum should be at least 1024 and you can set the maximum to whatever works best for you. I have found that 1024 and 6144 work best for me.

Something simple and small such as syncing your internet clock can make a huge difference. If you are say 500 milliseconds off, (1/2 of a second) now your system is constantly fighting itself every time it is sending and receiving data that is timestamped and not synced to your PC.

Hope this helps.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.