Bollinger Bands Format, Watchlist, Label, Scan For ThinkOrSwim

Hello Everyone,

I would like to have a scanner that Scans for stocks that fall in the “buy zone,” between one and two standard deviations above the moving average.

can someone help please.

Thank you in advanced.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

@Marcoxiii I think this is what you're looking for

Ruby:
close is greater than BollingerBands("num dev up" = 1.0)."UpperBand" and close is less than BollingerBands()."UpperBand"

Is there a way to scan, if a bollinger band is trending upward, (eg midline, midline[2], midline[4] and midline[6] are all trending up) appreciate it.

Is there a way to scan, if a bollinger band is trending upward, (eg midline, midline[2], midline[4] and midline[6] are all trending up) appreciate it.

The Bollinger Band midline is merely a SMA20 so that's all you'd need to find the same trend as the Bollinger Band midline... No need further complicating things by attempting to use Bollinger Bands... 💡

Chart will turn grey and display upper/lower bb limits by positive/negative numerical values

Code:
#Out of Bounds
def sDev = StDev(close, 21);
def MidLine = Average(close, 21);
def UpperBand = MidLine + 2 * sDev;
def LowerBand = MidLine - 2 * sDev;
plot OOB = if close > UpperBand then Round(close - UpperBand, 2) else if close < LowerBand then Round(close - LowerBand, 2) else Double.NaN;
AssignBackgroundColor(if !isnan(oob) then color.white else color.gray);
OOB.assignvalueColor(if !isnan(oob) then color.black else color.gray);

Sound alerts script.

https://tos.mx/Pd1xADc

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to make a Bollinger band indicator when the stocks end out of the bands at the end of the trading day going up or down?

close from 1 bars ago is greater than or equal to BollingerBands()."UpperBand" from 1 bars ago or close from 1 bars ago is less than or equal to BollingerBands()."LowerBand"[1]

Code:
input aggregationPeriod=AggregationPeriod.day;
def data = close(period = aggregationPeriod);
input displace = 0;
input length = 20;
input Num_Dev_Dn = -2.0;
input Num_Dev_up = 2.0;
input averageType = AverageType.Simple;

def sDev = stdev(data = data[-displace], length = length);

plot MidLine = MovingAverage(averageType, data = data[-displace], length = length);
plot LowerBand = MidLine + num_Dev_Dn * sDev;
plot UpperBand = MidLine + num_Dev_Up * sDev;

LowerBand.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(0));
MidLine.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(1));
UpperBand.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(5));

I'd love to use a bollinger bands indicator with the green/red coloring style of the Hull Moving Average, meaning the bands would be colored green when in an uptrend and would turn red when in a downtrend. Is that possible to code?

Ruby:
plot Upper = reference BollingerBands.UpperBand;
Upper.AssignValueColor(if Upper > Upper[1] then Color.UPTICK else Color.RED);

plot Middle = reference BollingerBands.MidLine;
Middle.AssignValueColor(if Middle > Middle[1] then Color.UPTICK else Color.RED);

plot Lower = reference BollingerBands.LowerBand;
Lower.AssignValueColor(if Lower > Lower[1] then Color.UPTICK else Color.RED);

Last edited:
I just noticed I didn't update each line to color based on its own being higher or lower. Each was looking at the Upper band. Fixing in original post.
It did look a little funny, but I wasn't complaining. I'll use the update! Thanks so much.

Need help with adding alert on the MovingAverage envelope indicator. Examples alerts me when price touches the upper band. Also want it to be set at a continuous basis.like everytime price touchses the upper or lower band i get n alert.
Thanks in advance

@yman So when you say "the MovingAverage envelope indicator", do you mean Bollinger Bands?
ascan.png

If you are looking to scan the Universe of Stocks for equities whose price crosses Bollinger Bands and to receive alerts for these occurrences, here are your instructions --> https://usethinkscript.com/threads/all-things-bollinger-bands.762/#post-74355

If you are looking to receive an alert on a specific stock on a specific chart that you are looking at,
then use this chart alert link: http://tos.mx/EBfuNiW Click here for --> Easiest way to load shared links

Alert Setup For Bollinger Band Crossovers
This alerts for:
stock prices crossing above the standard deviation of 2.0 of a simple moving average of 20
AND
stock prices crossing below the standard deviation of 2.0 of a simple moving average of 20
The above highlighted elements can be edited by clicking on edit and changing the inputs as shown in the image below.
l2Kj4a5.png

Hi guys how are you? Can you help me with the original code of TOS to set sound alerts?

Thanks guys!!!

This is the code.

#
# TD Ameritrade IP Company, Inc. (c) 2009-2021
#

#wizard text: CLOSE
#wizard input: crossingType
#wizard input: band
#wizard text: Inputs: length:
#wizard input: length
#wizard text: std deviation:
#wizard input: Std_Deviation
#wizard text: average type:
#wizard input: averageType

input length = 20;
input Std_Deviation = 2.0;
input band = {default upper, middle, lower};
input crossingType = {default above, below};
input averageType = AverageType.SIMPLE;

def bollinger;
switch (band) {
case upper:
bollinger = BollingerBands(length = length, Num_Dev_Dn = -Std_Deviation, Num_Dev_up = Std_Deviation, averageType = averageType).UpperBand;
case middle:
bollinger = BollingerBands(length = length, Num_Dev_Dn = -Std_Deviation, Num_Dev_up = Std_Deviation, averageType = averageType).MidLine;
case lower:
bollinger = BollingerBands(length = length, Num_Dev_Dn = -Std_Deviation, Num_Dev_up = Std_Deviation, averageType = averageType).LowerBand;
}

plot signal = Crosses(close, bollinger, crossingType == CrossingType.above);

signal.DefineColor("Above", GetColor(1));
signal.DefineColor("Below", GetColor(2));
signal.AssignValueColor(if crossingType == CrossingType.above then signal.color("Above") else signal.color("Below"));

signal.SetPaintingStrategy(if crossingType == CrossingType.above
then PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP
else PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);

Ruby:
plot Upper = reference BollingerBands.UpperBand;
Upper.AssignValueColor(if Upper > Upper[1] then Color.UPTICK else Color.RED);

plot Middle = reference BollingerBands.MidLine;
Middle.AssignValueColor(if Middle > Middle[1] then Color.UPTICK else Color.RED);

plot Lower = reference BollingerBands.LowerBand;
Lower.AssignValueColor(if Lower > Lower[1] then Color.UPTICK else Color.RED);
can be possible to have a dot signal every time the price hit the over sold and over buy zone?