TD-Ameritrade API

FreshKid

Hello,

I have a question concerning API's. I like the TOS platform to view charts and level II. However, sometimes, I like to trade on another platform (reduce or no fees on options). Is it possible to use an API, while on the TOS platform, to send a trade to another platform? If yes, I will get back to this later to see if someone can create an API or code.

Thanks in advance!

Are enough programmers on this site, who use the TD-Ameritrade API, that this forum's administrator would consider adding a forum category just for TD-Ameritrade API programming? There are a few threads about the API. Consolidating them would be nice. I have searched the internet and I can find no forums specifically for programming using TD-Ameritrade API. It may attract more programmers to this forum. If I am success with the TD-Ameritrade API, I will want to translate many ThinkScript studies for use with the trading program I come up with. I think it could be a great addition. Who else thinks this would be a worthy addition to this forum?

For the most part, API is outside the scope of this forum.
There is very little interest from our membership.

Here are the few API threads.
https://usethinkscript.com/search/912613/?q=API&t=post&c[title_only]=1&o=replies&g=1

Here is the ALGO thread:
https://usethinkscript.com/search/912613/?q=API&t=post&c[title_only]=1&o=replies&g=1

please think about adding a group for API.
i don't use the TOS API now , but want to learn about it.
The TOS API reads data from TOS, just in a different way than studies do.

from the heading,

Indicator Forums
Member forums to discuss indicators, scripts, thinkScript programming, and all things thinkorswim

...all things thinkorswim.. could be interpretted to include the API.

my suggestion for a couple of group names to be added,
external data - excel
external data - TOS API

thank you

there are plenty of programmers outside of this forum that are already taking advantage of the TOS api, like MerryDay says it's a whole different scope. But I wouldn't say its of "little interest". It's just more complicated and TdAmeritrade is just not interested in making it a thing. Otherwise they would have made it accessible like platforms like Ninjatrader.

there are plenty of programmers outside of this forum that are already taking advantage of the TOS api, like MerryDay says it's a whole different scope. But I wouldn't say its of "little interest". It's just more complicated and TdAmeritrade is just not interested in making it a thing. Otherwise they would have made it accessible like platforms like Ninjatrader.
If someone has an interest in that API. They can do a web search for TD-Ameritrade API a TDA page for developers can be found on that page will be links to download the API info.

I have a question concerning API's. I like the TOS platform to view charts and level II. However, sometimes, I like to trade on another platform (reduce or no fees on options). Is it possible to use an API, while on the TOS platform, to send a trade to another platform? If yes, I will get back to this later to see if someone can create an API or code.

Can you please tell me which brokers you are aware of who have no fees on options (e.g. Webull)? Thank you

For clarity, it is not possible to use TOS to send trades to a broker other than TD-Ameritrade. TOS is not a platform which offers that feature like NinjaTrader does. For example, for NinjaTrader to place a trade in your Ameritrade account, NinjaTrader must connect to the Ameritrade API. The same goes for TOS. To place a trade in your Ameritrade account, TOS must connect to the Ameritrade API. There is no TOS API. There is only the Ameritrade API. TOS can only connect to the Ameritrade API, while NinjaTrader can connect to the APIs of multiple brokers.

Last edited:
Are enough programmers on this site, who use the TD-Ameritrade API, that this forum's administrator would consider adding a forum category just for TD-Ameritrade API programming? There are a few threads about the API. Consolidating them would be nice. I have searched the internet and I can find no forums specifically for programming using TD-Ameritrade API. It may attract more programmers to this forum. If I am success with the TD-Ameritrade API, I will want to translate many ThinkScript studies for use with the trading program I come up with. I think it could be a great addition. Who else thinks this would be a worthy addition to this forum?

It seems natural that many traders serious enough about TOS to dig into thinkscript might eventually want to learn about the Ameritrade API. A small corner devoted to API could be very helpful. It will take someone quite the effort to leap from TOS to writing their own auto trading program that connects to the Ameritrade API. While they are learning they will most likely keep working in TOS, so they will have a foot in both worlds. This is where I am at.

It seems natural that many traders serious enough about TOS to dig into thinkscript might eventually want to learn about the Ameritrade API. A small corner devoted to API could be very helpful. It will take someone quite the effort to leap from TOS to writing their own auto trading program that connects to the Ameritrade API. While they are learning they will most likely keep working in TOS, so they will have a foot in both worlds. This is where I am at.
I have put together a few notebooks and a couple of python scripts that pull data from TDA, but as I trade futures, and there is neither futures data available, nor the ability to trade futures through the TDA API, I gave up.

-mashume

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
434 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back