SPY trading strategy script help

touchups

Hello. Trying to get this to work. I don't know how to write code. I have been using the "edit studies" tab to try to set this up. Failing for hours lol... This is the strategy: Is SPY above the 66 day SMA? NO=do nothing, if YES, then is todays closing price the lowest in 3 days? NO=do nothing, if YES, then BUY SPY. Selling is dependent on the closing price of SPY being the highest over the past 19 days. NO=do nothing, if YES, then SELL spy. That's it. Thank you for any suggestions.

Solution
@touchups Here's a strategy based on my understanding of your criteria. Put it under the Strategy section to view the buys/sells, and test it throughly -
Code:
#Is SPY above the 66 day SMA?
def buy_filter_1 = close > Average(close, 66);

#Is todays closing price the lowest in 3 days?
def buy_filter_2 = close < Lowest(close, 3)[1];

#Selling is dependent on the closing price of SPY being the highest over the past 19 days.
def exit_criteria = close > Highest(close, 19)[1];

plot avg = Average(close, 66);
plot entry = Lowest(close, 3)[1];
plot exit = Highest(close, 19)[1];

AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_TO_OPEN, buy_filter_1 and buy_filter_2, tickcolor = Color.CYAN, arrowcolor = Color.CYAN, name = "buy");
AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_TO_CLOSE...
@touchups Here's a strategy based on my understanding of your criteria. Put it under the Strategy section to view the buys/sells, and test it throughly -
Code:
#Is SPY above the 66 day SMA?
def buy_filter_1 = close > Average(close, 66);

#Is todays closing price the lowest in 3 days?
def buy_filter_2 = close < Lowest(close, 3)[1];

#Selling is dependent on the closing price of SPY being the highest over the past 19 days.
def exit_criteria = close > Highest(close, 19)[1];

plot avg = Average(close, 66);
plot entry = Lowest(close, 3)[1];
plot exit = Highest(close, 19)[1];

AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_TO_OPEN, buy_filter_1 and buy_filter_2, tickcolor = Color.CYAN, arrowcolor = Color.CYAN, name = "buy");
AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_TO_CLOSE, exit_criteria, arrowcolor = Color.MAGENTA, name = "sell");

Solution

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

WOW. Amazing work. Thank you! For the record (good or bad), this is not my strategy btw. I ran across it on relaxed trader, but it was written for TS. It does seem to work (don't know if it is the best method out there), BUT obviously only in an uptrend market. Not this funk were in right now. I tracked it back just one year. I had to look manually. I don't know how to back test an idea that automatically spits out results. Wish I did. Biggest flaw is downs that last more then 19 days, then you must take a loss. That is just built in. No way around that with this method. And you are susceptible to opening spikes since you are buying based on yesterday's close. REALLY appreciate you writing this. Thank you again.