WorkAround for Max 19 Watchlist Columns in ThinkOrSwim

Woodral66

Was looking for script for additional custom watchlist columns. TOS gives you 19, i think. I had a shared link for the code, that i found in one of the threads. But i lost it. Search all weekend for it. Does anyone have a shared link for adding more custom columns to TOS

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

@Woodral66
There is a limit of 19 for Option Chains.

Otherwise, as long as you do not go over 99, you can add watchlist columns via shared links.
1. Add any shared link
2. and then edit that script and paste into it the code that you want to write.

Here is a blank watchlist column link: http://tos.mx/f3B8asp Click here for --> Easiest way to load shared links
Import it as many times as you desire. You now have unlimited watchlist columns. Copy & Paste your watchlist scripts into them

Last edited:
does anyone have more than 19 custom column studies listed in the option chain?

below is a link about adding a column study to the option chain. it seems that only the first 19 custom column watchlist studies, show up as choices for an option chain column. i opened the code window on an option chain study and made a share link. i opened the link ( setup ...) and gave it a different name. it did not show up in my option chain list. it did show up in my watchlist column list.

i think this is the new link?
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/option-chain-column.5131/#post-68928

old page was moved
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...-a-intrinsic-extrinsic-ratio.7122/#post-68953

Last edited:
@Woodral66
as long as you do not go over 99, you can add watchlist columns via shared links. Add any shared link and then paste into it the code that you want to write.

Here is a blank watchlist column link: http://tos.mx/f3B8asp Click here for --> Easiest way to load shared links
Import it as many times as you desire. You now have unlimited watchlist columns. Copy & Paste your watchlist scripts into them
Sweeeeeet. Never knew this!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read this a couple times and still not sure what's being said but it seems to be hinting at a workaround. Can someone explain what's being said above as if I'm a five year old?

I've read this a couple times and still not sure what's being said but it seems to be hinting at a workaround. Can someone explain what's being said above as if I'm a five year old?
There is a limit of 19 for Option Chains.

Otherwise, as long as you do not go over 99, you can add watchlist columns via shared links. Add any shared link and then paste into it the code that you want to write.

Last edited:
as long as you do not go over 99, you can add watchlist columns via shared links. Add any shared link and then paste into it the code that you want to write.

This worked great, thanks MerryDay!

This worked great, thanks MerryDay!
You have a limit of 99 (watchlist column Scripts), don't confuse the watchlist columns scripts to those in studies, strategies and sets. Any share watchlist column scripts will work until you hit your limit, you'll then have to rewrite over others. You can also create your own or copy and paste them.

Thanks @MerryDay for the clarification.
For illustration, I used the share you provided 11 times to create quotes named cust0 - cust10. Any remaining "CustomXX" custom quotes/columns that had not been altered seem to be gone/renamed. The Watchlist customization menu has all cust0 - cust10. The Option Chain customization menu has cust0 - cust7. I had already modified 11 of the 19 provided. Since most of my past work was not for Option Chain columns, there is some level of sharing going on. In that respect, we may need to keep track of which quotes/columns are the original 19 as those appear locked in. I guess looking at the custom quotes from the Options Chain Customization menu will always tell us, but I noticed that many of my original watchlist custom quotes are taking up slots even though they are not appropriate for options chains. So I would have to move my watchlist custom quotes to new slots (above cust7) in order to free up the original 19.

Backup:
I started a manual process of backing up the custom column code. TOS does not appear to maintain any versioning as it does for studies.
1) For each custom column, I generally create a study with the same/similar code as much as possible. That study allows me to easily see if the code is behaving correctly. User defined studies are also easy to export.
2) Cut and paste custom column scripts into a *.ts file. There is no Export option for these scripts. I try to keep the naming consistent ending with "column.ts". Column names are limited to 16 characters, so my file names are similar but a little more verbose.
3) As an extra step to control versioning, I use external version control to track my code changes. GitHub Desktop with a local repository has worked well for me.

If you track of your code, you can switch back in different versions (or scripts for different approaches) as needed, as @HDP pointed out the need to overwrite your scripts after you max out the available slots.

Hi,

I've created a Strategy by going to Tools > + New Strategy and I plotted it successfully.

I've also create a Study by going to Tools > + New Study and I plotted it successfully.

But column scripts are different since I created one as a Study and then realized it doesnt show up as a column option when i try to add it to a watchlist. I had to copy the study code and go to the watchlist and click customize, select from existing Custom 4-19 scripts and pasted that code in there and now it shows up as a column. Is this the only way to do this? I ask for 2 reasons;

A. It seems natural to be able to add all thinkscripts from the tools tab and thinkscript editor just as we do for Study and Strategy. I would have expected Column Script to be the natural 3rd option there on the "+" button.

B. I happened to have Custom4-19. Im pretty sure I've used Custom3 for something but i obviously renamed it and possibly did the same for Custom 1 & 2. But what happens when i run our of CustomX scripts to replace? How would I then create a new column type script?

Thanks
Mars

Hi,

I've created a Strategy by going to Tools > + New Strategy and I plotted it successfully.

I've also create a Study by going to Tools > + New Study and I plotted it successfully.

But column scripts are different since I created one as a Study and then realized it doesnt show up as a column option when i try to add it to a watchlist. I had to copy the study code and go to the watchlist and click customize, select from existing Custom 4-19 scripts and pasted that code in there and now it shows up as a column. Is this the only way to do this? I ask for 2 reasons;

A. It seems natural to be able to add all thinkscripts from the tools tab and thinkscript editor just as we do for Study and Strategy. I would have expected Column Script to be the natural 3rd option there on the "+" button.

B. I happened to have Custom4-19. Im pretty sure I've used Custom3 for something but i obviously renamed it and possibly did the same for Custom 1 & 2. But what happens when i run our of CustomX scripts to replace? How would I then create a new column type script?

Thanks
Mars
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...hlist-columns-in-thinkorswim.6347/#post-61561

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
358 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back