Scan Alert Delays in ThinkorSwim

• Thread starter GetRichOrDieTrying
  • Start date
G

GetRichOrDieTrying

Is anyone noticing delays with scan alerts? Sometimes it's several minutes long. As a day trader, getting an alert a few minutes late could mean you miss an entry. I'm using SMA's, EMA's, VWAP, LinearRegReversal and LinearRegressionSlope in my scan, but it doesn't really matter what studies I use, I oftentimes get delays on desktop and mobile.

I reached out to Support and I keep getting different answers. Some reps are saying that there shouldn't be a delay. Then some reps say that the delay is 5 minutes. I don't know who or what to believe. I'm considering using trade ideas for alerts, but that would be a huge waste of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
BenTen

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
Warehouse
That is known, or at least to me, and I have been telling people that. The only way that you can get real-time scan results is by clicking that Scan button whenever you want to see new result.

G

GetRichOrDieTrying

That is known, or at least to me, and I have been telling people that. The only way that you can get real-time scan results is by clicking that Scan button whenever you want to see new result.
How long of a delay do you normally experience?

BenTen

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
Warehouse
I stopped using the scanner watchlist because of this problem. Usually between 3-5 mins. Sometimes I get the results in real-time though, but that is rare. An alternative solution to this is by adding a set of alerts into your code. As soon as the signal appears you will get notified. This solution will not work if you want to find new stocks from a basket of watchlists.

G

GetRichOrDieTrying

I stopped using the scanner watchlist because of this problem. Usually between 3-5 mins. Sometimes I get the results in real-time though, but that is rare. An alternative solution to this is by adding a set of alerts into your code. As soon as the signal appears you will get notified. This solution will not work if you want to find new stocks from a basket of watchlists.
What do you mean by this "An alternative solution to this is by adding a set of alerts into your code." What exactly are you adding to thinkscript to get alerts in real-time?

"This solution will not work if you want to find new stocks from a basket of watchlists." Are you saying that you can't get real-time scan alerts from a watchlist of stocks and You can only get real-time results when scanning all stocks?

BenTen

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
Warehouse
@GetRichOrDieTrying Go to the Custom cateogry on our forum and check out the indicators in there. Most of them contain a set of alerts. When you have the indicator on your chart and the chart is loaded, you will get notified of new signals in real-time. Again, the catch is that you must be viewing that chart (or at least have it in the background). This does not work for when you try to find new stocks because imagine loading up 100s of different stocks and have them run in the background. Will likely to break your ToS.