RENKO charts extreme lagging behind Candle Charts and Last Price...

Darth Tradicus

VIP
Hey guys, I'm having an issue I've been noticing the past couple of days and could be why it seems like I've been getting some pretty ****y order fills. I noticed, today worse than ever, my RENKO charts lagging behind candle charts and the last price by as long as approximately 30 seconds. The effect is periodic and seems to possibly occur when volume is higher on larger candlesticks. Eventually price on the RENKO does catch back up, but the effect is pretty much enough to make RENKO useless for trading/scalping. At times, today, there were price differences well over $1. (I snapped a couple crappy pics on my phone, see below)

Some things I was able to check while it occurred:
-This occurs whether or not RENKO or Candles are on the main FlexGrid screen or detached screens.
-None of my custom studies on the RENKO charts have the complexity warning icon
-The middle RENKO chart in my study below uses mostly different studies.
-PS I have realtime data connected :p
-Also I have 64gb of RAM and my Memory Usage is set at 8192-9152Mb

Here is my flexible chart grid: http://tos.mx/SsKkSnm

I contacted TOS support, but I was a bit late trying to figure out what was going on and prices had mostly corrected themselves by then. They were unable to witness it and mentioned I should try to restart my modem/router, which I did, but it seems to me that as the candles were providing the correct price, this shouldn't be an internet/connectivity issue- correct?

Any light you guys can shed or similar experiences, much appreciated- thanks

https://i.imgur.com/NQx2LIr.png[/img]']
NQx2LIr.png

16176[/ATTACH]']
FE7z8m7.jpg

Attachments

• FE7z8m7.jpg
    FE7z8m7.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Just an update-

Contacted Support again on Friday, and they were able to witness along with me, price fluctuations/differences between candlestick/last prices and renko price. He also said he saw that prices were off by a few points on his own personal range chart. He passed it along to their tech to look into it. I also contacted them once again this morning as prices were crazy off. I screen-recorded what was happening live and asked him to pass it along to the tech team. Here you can see how long the delay is while prices fluctuated to almost $2 off:

hopefully they find a fix for this, but I'm also curious if any of you guys are noticing this happening...

Just an update-

Contacted Support again on Friday, and they were able to witness along with me, price fluctuations/differences between candlestick/last prices and renko price. He also said he saw that prices were off by a few points on his own personal range chart. He passed it along to their tech to look into it. I also contacted them once again this morning as prices were crazy off. I screen-recorded what was happening live and asked him to pass it along to the tech team. Here you can see how long the delay is while prices fluctuated to almost $2 off:

hopefully they find a fix for this, but I'm also curious if any of you guys are noticing this happening...
I am noticing this issue with tick charts as well. This morning was horrible. My experience was similar to yours. The majority of the traders in my group had significant issues today.

I am noticing this issue with tick charts as well. This morning was horrible. My experience was similar to yours. The majority of the traders in my group had significant issues today.
Sorry to hear that, but at least hopefully there are a lot of others out there making noise about this to Support. Watching back through my video, I timed the delay when candle prices broke back under $376 on SPY and it was a full minute and a half! My photos above were taken on last Monday when it was just this bad. During the week, it was off but wasn't nearly as bad when I was trying to show Support. Perhaps I'll quit trading on Mondays for now and be cautious during the week...

I run Renko charts myself; one thing I've done to mitigate these types of issues is increase the memory allocated to Think or Swim (plenty of YouTube videos and Reddit threads to walk you through this). You can also try hitting the HELP tab in the Think or Swim menu and then manually hitting the COLLECT GARBAGE button.

I have seen lagging on the SPY Renko/Range option contracts, but typically more so on the smaller volume contracts.
I have seen large bricks (25/50 on /es and spy) magically repaint themselves after being printed.
The bid/ask filter on the price setting for the range charts doesn't work for me ( only the LAST price data shows).
I get the impression that renko/range charts are something that TOS must have, but they only spent the minimum amount of time and $$ on creating them.

So I had an issue this morning where Finviz Elite was actually showing me prices that hadn't yet shown up on ToS chart or Active Trader ladder ($PRPL was @$5.12 on Finviz and on ToS it was still showing it @$5.09; hadn't broken the $5.10 mark on the Active Trader ladder yet)...this immediately drew my attention as Finviz Elite runs on a 10 second refresh rate, which means ToS was lagging more than 10 seconds. I reached out to support and was informed that the lag was being caused by an older version of ToS running in the background. They immediately fixed the issue, but when I asked if there was a way for me to fix the issue myself, I was told that the only way to have it taken care of is to reach out to them and have them do it. Personally, I think it's absolute BS; if their proprietary software doesn't work and function properly, perhaps it's time for a class action lawsuit...it's bad enough they're allowed to manipulate the market at will...now they want us to play from even further behind the 8 ball. Sad to say the least!

The lag I posted about seems to have mostly been fixed, but now I'm getting freeze ups across the board, where I can watch the prices change in realtime but all candles MTF, Renko/Range and Tick freeze randomly for as long as 30 or more seconds before giving me the correct visual. For instance the Renko box and price bubble will just freeze at a price then suddenly print 3 boxes, and the minute candles after having finished creating a candle will freeze for 30 seconds before showing the new candle and by that time the new candle's life is half over.

Trading Renko, I'm having to mark the price at which the trigger box will form, then ignore the chart completely and only watch the price. It's immensely frustrating. I've given myself lots of RAM and cleared the garbage, keep my pc up to date etc... no bueno. 64gb i9-9900k gaming rig :confused:

The lag I posted about seems to have mostly been fixed, but now I'm getting freeze ups across the board, where I can watch the prices change in realtime but all candles MTF, Renko/Range and Tick freeze randomly for as long as 30 or more seconds before giving me the correct visual. For instance the Renko box and price bubble will just freeze at a price then suddenly print 3 boxes, and the minute candles after having finished creating a candle will freeze for 30 seconds before showing the new candle and by that time the new candle's life is half over.

Trading Renko, I'm having to mark the price at which the trigger box will form, then ignore the chart completely and only watch the price. It's immensely frustrating. I've given myself lots of RAM and cleared the garbage, keep my pc up to date etc... no bueno. 64gb i9-9900k gaming rig :confused:
I've experienced the freezing issue as well, where everything on the chart just seems to stop, almost as if the symbol has been halted on a circuit breaker, then all the sudden it spits out 2-3 bars/bricks and adjusts the indicators and volume. I've also allocated as much RAM as possible and constantly clear the garbage (there are days I hammer the Collect Garbage button like I'm at the Whack-A-Mole World Championships). It's frustrating to say the least.

Was finally a bit fed up and contacted support this morning over the charts freezing. They said that sometimes the workspace file can become corrupt:

I have two thoughts on the potential reason because the error report does not indicate any specific rendering errors or anything. First I Would like to see if it is related to the workspace file because this is the most common reason we see this type of behavior happen. To test this, we can reset the workspace and test the performance in this reset state without loading any previously saved workspace.

Please start by saving the current workspace configuration in the 'Setup' menu in the upper right hand of the main thinkorswim window. Once saved, select reset workspace to default in the same setup window and test the chart responsiveness without reloading the previous workspace. If it works well then building a new workspace from the default file will be our best solution. When rebuilding the workspace you can reload watchlists, styles, grids, study sets, drawings, scans etc. Bringing back any previously saved configuration workspace file may bring back the slowness again and should not be reloaded. Custom scripted indicators can also cause corruptions in workspace files or have longer rendering times if added to the charts. Adding the custom scripts individually when rebuilding the workspace is the best way to isolate a particular script if that is the case.

I gave it a shot, resetting the workspace and individually loading saved flexible grids back up and into other detached windows. It so far has seemed to help. Its hard to tell because the open is when it freezes the worst, and by the time I started talking to the tech, the freezups had already started to lessen. So I guess I'll know if this really worked after open on Monday morning. Maybe it'll work for you guys also.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
270 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back