pullback to the 20SMA

scott69

I've done studies like this in the past. It is too security specific to use points, but I did experiment with percentages of price proximity (i.e. within .5%, .1%, .05%, etc. of the indicator), and that seemed to work well. I would also suggest absolute value so that crosses would be counted. Sorry I don't have any recent algorithms to help you any further. Good luck.

scott69

May I just add that I totally agree with @rad14733 that it will be difficult to create this. You will need to define how far away price is from the MA before the move toward the MA is considered, how close (as I said above) is considered a "bounce," what angle the bounce occurs, i.e. if price is just moving "along" the MA (flat market), etc. All these considerations can be coded, but at what cost of your time, and of what benefit? Again, good luck, and please share your work so that we can see how you did it.....SD

Dirtymiguel

VIP
Thanks for the input guys. I have messed around with the scanner on TOS no luck really. So parts of what I would like to define would continue as follows.

* A stock that has pulled back/ crossed below 1%/ bounced at least 1% above to an SMA after meeting a new 52 week high
May I just add that I totally agree with @rad14733 that it will be difficult to create this. You will need to define how far away price is from the MA before the move toward the MA is considered, how close (as I said above) is considered a "bounce," what angle the bounce occurs, i.e. if price is just moving "along" the MA (flat market), etc. All these considerations can be coded, but at what cost of your time, and of what benefit? Again, good luck, and please share your work so that we can see how you did it.....SD
Hey man thanks for
@Dirtymiguel Your term "pullback" is too subjective to be coded... You would need to logically define "pullback" in a manner that can be logically coded because all languages are based on logic, not on subjective concepts...
Hey thanks for the response. I am very new to this so be gentle.
On TOS, how can I locate a stock that is at a max 2.5% above or below a 20 SMA or a 50 SMA?
How do I scan for a stock that has hit a new 52 week high?
(this part might be a little bit to broad but I feel as if I ask this question your answer might be able to help me break down what I really should be asking) How can I scan for a stock that has recently retraced back to a SMA from a 52 week high after 5-7 days?