Moxie Indicator for ThinkorSwim

tradegeek

2019 Donor
VIP
I don't know if anyone has come across this neat indicator called the "Moxie Indicator". It seems the creator of this indicator has it developed for Ninjatrader and Thinkorswim but he's not releasing the TOS version because he doesn't want the code shared. He has partnered up with John Carter from SimplerTrading to provide alerts based on this indicator.

You can check it out here...

It would be nice if something like this can be replicated. I am not a programmer so I wouldn't know where to start. Can it be reversed engineered from a NinjaTrader script?

Much success to all!

Edit #1: @diazlaz converted a TradingView script that mimicked the Moxie script: https://usethinkscript.com/threads/moxie-indicator-for-thinkorswim.369/post-36862

Edit #2: Check out @Slippage version of the Moxie Indicator here: https://usethinkscript.com/threads/moxie-indicator-for-thinkorswim.369/post-53789

Edit #3: @Slippage reviews of the paid Moxie indicator https://usethinkscript.com/threads/moxie-indicator-for-thinkorswim.369/post-53751

Slippage

Many of the indicators are really a waste of money compared to what Mobius did.
Mobius indicators are impressive. I've played with a lot of his other indicators in the past. I haven't tested whether they are profitable. I use his RSI-Divergence indicator which is just standard RSI with a divergence detection built in.

The problem with the Moxie Mastery subscription wasn't the indicator. It's just a different visual style of MACD's histogram of a higher timeframe. I find it is more readable as a line, which is Moxie's style, because it's easier to see divergences. The problem is TG is a long-only trader (he called one short trade in 3 months) and after nearly a year of easy-mode swings he kept going long on down trending stocks.

Jonas99

VIP
Mobius indicators are impressive. I've played with a lot of his other indicators in the past. I haven't tested whether they are profitable. I use his RSI-Divergence indicator which is just standard RSI with a divergence detection built in.

The problem with the Moxie Mastery subscription wasn't the indicator. It's just a different visual style of MACD's histogram of a higher timeframe. I find it is more readable as a line, which is Moxie's style, because it's easier to see divergences. The problem is TG is a long-only trader (he called one short trade in 3 months) and after nearly a year of easy-mode swings he kept going long on down trending stocks.
I think it is not being taught enough to attend to structure first, then trend and support/resistance. Most of the indicators sold can be found free here and the classes suffer from the drive to make money from it. A simpler chart is better when you can view the "structure" easily. And study charts before and after, why did work and why did not.

Jonas99

VIP
I actually built the squeeze pro dots into the Moxie indicator's zero line if you turn on that option. If you're making money from it then it was money well spent. Who cares about $400 in comparison.

I've been curious about the early in/out. I can make some guesses at how it might work but I don't know and I haven't tried to reverse engineer that from videos on YouTube. Do you find the signals are mostly good? That may be worth what you paid.

The squeeze stats look interesting, not really useful, to satisfy curiosity for the first couple of days and then I doubt I'd ever look at it again.

Scans are easy for me to create but for people less technically able it could be a valuable part of the package.
Early in and out is not very useful.

Slippage

@Slippage Did you find value in TG's checklist that he provides in the training?

No. I haven't opened that file since my first week in the training/mastery. I looked at it again now in order to answer your question. I find his checklist extremely lacking. It's sort of high level like he just jotted some stuff down quickly because the boss told him he had to make a checklist.

I'd recommend making a list of criteria for each timeframe based on what he talks about in his YouTube videos and make none of it optional. All of the concepts he mentions in the videos are important. The double-bottom "elf shoe" pattern with Moxie divergence, various interactions with the MAs, especially on one hour chart. I've seen a lot of his trade alerts fail when he broke the "don't trade the X" rule, though those were also poor choices of stocks to go long in. Your end result will be a lot more thorough than his provided checklist and actually usable to make go/no-go decisions about trades.

One exception is the trampoline setup. It's not important. It's not a requirement. It's not reliable enough to trade as a separate setup. Consider that one an optional, nice-to-have criteria as part of the main strategy.

Golden Slacks

@Slippage I didn't renew my Moxie Mastery, I believe we joined at the same time this year. Terrible time to join, his overall returns were negative, and he doesn't go short. Overall the Gold room provides what I need and better return. TG going for those low cap mid-cap stocks in this type of market never works. Of course, he did well when the market was ripping.

Slippage

@Slippage I didn't renew my Moxie Mastery, I believe we joined at the same time this year. Terrible time to join, his overall returns were negative, and he doesn't go short. Overall the Gold room provides what I need and better return. TG going for those low cap mid-cap stocks in this type of market never works. Of course, he did well when the market was ripping.

I don't think it's a small/mid cap vs large cap issue. I've been through a lot of charts lately while tweaking scripts for a strategy and I saw a lot of small/mid caps that ran. He just wasn't looking at them. I think the problem is he clung onto the stocks that did well in the months prior instead of looking at which sectors are actually moving.

Another member in there who I have contact with elsewhere says TG's still mainly watching those same stocks and talking about how "our old friends are starting to come to life". It seems he expects now that these stocks have pulled back almost to where they started they're going to shoot to the moon again. When they ran before it was because Dems took the Whitehouse. There's no catalyst for those stocks now until some of them benefit from the infrastructure bill and whatever it provides for EV charging and such.

Near the end of my time in mastery I copied TG's entire trade spreadsheet and ran some calculations on it. Taken as a whole the % gain is very impressive. Remove Apr 2020 through Jan 2021 and it's a lot less impressive. In a normal market he's profitable but nothing special. At the time my interest in Moxie started I was also looking at Raghee's Sector Secrets stuff. I should have signed up for that instead. She has a much better handle on the big picture and moved her trades into the right sectors and commodities when the market started to shift. I guess that's her 30+ years experience vs his 5 or 6. I have no plans to give Simpler any more money, though.

Golden Slacks

I don't think it's a small/mid cap vs large cap issue. I've been through a lot of charts lately while tweaking scripts for a strategy and I saw a lot of small/mid caps that ran. He just wasn't looking at them. I think the problem is he clung onto the stocks that did well in the months prior instead of looking at which sectors are actually moving.

Another member in there who I have contact with elsewhere says TG's still mainly watching those same stocks and talking about how "our old friends are starting to come to life". It seems he expects now that these stocks have pulled back almost to where they started they're going to shoot to the moon again. When they ran before it was because Dems took the Whitehouse. There's no catalyst for those stocks now until some of them benefit from the infrastructure bill and whatever it provides for EV charging and such.

Near the end of my time in mastery I copied TG's entire trade spreadsheet and ran some calculations on it. Taken as a whole the % gain is very impressive. Remove Apr 2020 through Jan 2021 and it's a lot less impressive. In a normal market he's profitable but nothing special. At the time my interest in Moxie started I was also looking at Raghee's Sector Secrets stuff. I should have signed up for that instead. She has a much better handle on the big picture and moved her trades into the right sectors and commodities when the market started to shift. I guess that's her 30+ years experience vs his 5 or 6. I have no plans to give Simpler any more money, though.
Raghee is a very impressive trader. Not sure if you were ever in the Option Gold when Taylor Horton arrived. Taylor only focuses on selling premium and at extended ATR ranges or at the 21. He's very consistent, and a good addition instead of those chasing direction with these bloated premiums.

Slippage

Raghee is a very impressive trader. Not sure if you were ever in the Option Gold when Taylor Horton arrived. Taylor only focuses on selling premium and at extended ATR ranges or at the 21. He's very consistent, and a good addition instead of those chasing direction with these bloated premiums.

I've never paid ST for anything except Moxie training and Moxie Mastery so I've never been in the other rooms. I'm familiar with Taylor from his Focused Trades youtube channel, though. I subscribed when I was considering trading squeezes. I found that channel before I realized Taylor joined ST.

Golden Slacks

I've never paid ST for anything except Moxie training and Moxie Mastery so I've never been in the other rooms. I'm familiar with Taylor from his Focused Trades youtube channel, though. I subscribed when I was considering trading squeezes. I found that channel before I realized Taylor joined ST.
Ok. His youtube is all you need then. He's active there and on his twitter.

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator