Major issues with conditional orders using a study

ChuckNZ

VIP
I am having major problems with study-driven conditional orders. To put it in perspective, I'm talking about hundreds of orders, not a single order that got missed. I've been working on this for 18 hours a day for five days. I think I have read every post on the subject on this and other forums. I have removed code that wasn't necessary. I have changed the code so that I have one study for longs and one study for shorts. I have tried entering the orders from scratch as well as loading saved orders. When using saved orders, I have taken the time to edit them (with no changes) because some users report that doing so helps. I'm primarily working with a version of one of the "transition" studies available here. But the problem exists even with a simple moving average crossover.

Here is what I'm trying to do, although I have tried dozens of variations. I start with (say) a "buy" order conditional on a study being "true". That order will trigger a "sell" order. I repeat this process until I have the maximum of 8 orders. I should mention that it DOESN'T MATTER if I am using my live account or my SIM account.

I have tried alternating buy/sell orders.... buy 1, sell 2, buy 2, sell 2, buy 2, sell 1. the first problem is that most of the time, the first order won't trigger. Of course, that means that the rest of the orders won't trigger, which is probably a good thing. I also tried a daisychain of only sell orders to hedge my long stock positions when the market heads south. That results in a chain that looks like "sell to open, buy to close, sell to open, buy to close, etc." I should mention that I am trading mostly /YM, /ES and /YM futures. But it doesn't matter what I'm trading.

I am working with a good friend in the States with a sizeable account, meaning that he has more "clout" with TDA than I do. He lost a sizeable amount yesterday due to this glitch. We both know to use SIM accounts in the first instance, but numerous others told us that the problem doesn't occur when trading a live account. Rubbish!!!

In any event, he is putting a lot of pressure on TDA to find and fix this problem. He has been told that it is a priority with their development team. But, if you are experiencing similar problems, it would be a huge help if you could lodge a ticket with your favourite support person so we can get this fixed.

If you have some things we could try, please let me know.

I thought I would give you an update on this issue. Someone on one of the blogs I watch suggested that freshly entered daisychains worked properly and consistently. The problem with that, of course, is the number of ways that we can make a mistake when entering a complex string of orders. Another poster (sorry, I don't remember who) suggested that opening a file containing a chain of orders and editing it (with no changes) before confirming and sending it also worked consistently. I have done about 35 orders using these two methods and, so far, none of failed. I can't imagine how editing each order in the chain before confirming can make it work properly. But, I can't argue with success. The bot went short about 75 (five-minute) bars ago on 3 different futures contracts (/YM, /ES and /NQ). So, I'm happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back