MA Slope Scan For ThinkOrSwim

cos251

This is a basic start for the scans. We can build from here.

When you save the scan (with whatever name you give it) you can select it from the studies then change the inputs to your preference (length or average type).

https://tickertape.tdameritrade.com...average-thinkscript-stock-momentum-tool-15190
Ruby:
## Started on 2021.09.23
## MA Slope SCAN
##
##
## CREDITS
## Orignal source https://tickertape.tdameritrade.com/trading/cool-scripts-create-moving-average-thinkscript-stock-momentum-tool-15190
##
##
## Removing the header Credit credits and description is not permitted, any modification needs to be shared.
##
## V 1.0 :    @cos251 - SCAN version of MA Slope
##       :

input length = 20;
input price = close;
input averageType = AverageType.SIMPLE;

def avg = MovingAverage(averageType,price,length);
def height = avg - avg[1];

plot "Angle, deg" = Atan(height/length) * 180 / Double.Pi;

plot crossPositive = "Angle, deg" > 0 and "Angle, deg"[1] < 0;
plot crossNegative = "Angle, deg" < 0 and "Angle, deg"[1] > 0;

1. UPDATED WITH AN ADDITIONAL EXAMPLE SCAN
Ruby:
## Started on 2021.09.23
## MA Slope SCAN
##
##
## CREDITS
## Orignal source https://tickertape.tdameritrade.com/trading/cool-scripts-create-moving-average-thinkscript-stock-momentum-tool-15190
##
##
## Removing the header Credit credits and description is not permitted, any modification needs to be shared.
##
##       : 

input length = 20;
input price = close;

# --- Example Near Zero but not greater
def approachZero = "Angle, deg" > "Angle, deg"[1] and "Angle, deg"[1] > "Angle, deg"[2] and "Angle, deg" > -.1 and "Angle, deg" < 0;
plot NearZeroUp = if approachZero then 1 else Double.NaN;

Last edited by a moderator:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

I am looking for code example of calculating the slope of exponential moving average ...

Thanks in advance

See first post.

The input portion for "length" and "AverageType" can be adjusted to what you need.

How would you turn this into a scanner? Would you be able to define a certain time period or number of bars to say "the slope flipped positive compared to the X previous days/candles?"
Create the indicator as described in the link I provided. Then go to the scan section in TOS and create a new condition group and add new filter. Select "Study" for your new filter and find the indicator (however you named it).

You can scan for greater/less than 0 or any other set of conditions you would like. For example: if the last 3 have increased or decreased consecutively. Let me know if you need more help.

Create the indicator as described in the link I provided. Then go to the scan section in TOS and create a new condition group and add new filter. Select "Study" for your new filter and find the indicator (however you named it).

You can scan for greater/less than 0 or any other set of conditions you would like. For example: if the last 3 have increased or decreased consecutively. Let me know if you need more help.
Hi Cos, thanks for your response on this. I have added the study. When trying to make a Scan, one thing I have trouble with is editing this to make it Exponential Average:

#######
declare lower;
input length = 20;
input price = close;
input averageType = AverageType. SIMPLE;
def avg = MovingAverage(averageType, price, length);
plot “Angle, deg” = Atan(height/length) * 180 / Double.Pi;
“Angle, deg”.AssignValueColor (if “Angle, deg” >=0 then color.ORANGE else color.BLUE);
#######

Whenever I go in there to change averageType and try to make it =MovAvgExp it gives an error.

This is where you would also come to change the angle you are searching for, correct?

When using the Condition Wizard you can't adjust the angle, can you?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Andy

Hi Cos, thanks for your response on this. I have added the study. When trying to make a Scan, one thing I have trouble with is editing this to make it Exponential Average:

#######
declare lower;
input length = 20;
input price = close;
“Angle, deg”.AssignValueColor (if “Angle, deg” >=0 then color.ORANGE else color.BLUE);
#######

Whenever I go in there to change averageType and try to make it =MovAvgExp it gives an error.

This is where you would also come to change the angle you are searching for, correct?

When using the Condition Wizard you can't adjust the angle, can you?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Andy
Change this line:
Ruby:

to:
Ruby:
input averageType = AverageType.EXPONENTIAL;

There is also a space in the code you posted above. The space is between "AverageType." and "SIMPLE;"

Change this line:
Ruby:

to:
Ruby:
input averageType = AverageType.EXPONENTIAL;

There is also a space in the code you posted above. The space is between "AverageType." and "SIMPLE;"
Hi cos,

It seems to be working but I am getting results for all the stocks in my watchlist back when I run the scan. What variables can I add to make this scan more specific? For example, I don't need the color coding for the scan but would like to try and say something like "scan for all stocks with MovAvgExp angle >=25 degrees." Is this possible?

Hi cos,

It seems to be working but I am getting results for all the stocks in my watchlist back when I run the scan. What variables can I add to make this scan more specific? For example, I don't need the color coding for the scan but would like to try and say something like "scan for all stocks with MovAvgExp angle >=25 degrees." Is this possible?
Yes. But I think it would need to be "Angle, deg" > .25
The plot for Slope is in decimal I believe. The key with the slope is to look for divergence and whether the slope is above or below 0.

Yes. But I think it would need to be "Angle, deg" > .25
The plot for Slope is in decimal I believe. The key with the slope is to look for divergence and whether the slope is above or below 0.
Yeah good call on the degree input. But I think the code needs to be changed to get this to work in a scan. Still getting all tickers back as a result.

how do i get this to scan within a 5 bar period? instead of scanning for stocks that has already made the move.

I also would like to know how i can use this can to find stocks right where they are about the slope is turning postive, scan a day chart on 5 minute period. or be able to select the number of bars to scan from. please help and thank you.

I also would like to know how i can use this can to find stocks right where they are about the slope is turning postive, scan a day chart on 5 minute period. or be able to select the number of bars to scan from. please help and thank you.

When you save the scan (with whatever name you give it) you can select it from the studies then change the inputs to your preference (length or average type).

1. UPDATED WITH AN ADDITIONAL EXAMPLE SCAN
Ruby:
## Started on 2021.09.23
## MA Slope SCAN
##
##
## CREDITS
##
##
##
##       : 

input length = 20;
input price = close;

# --- Example Near Zero but not greater
def approachZero = "Angle, deg" > "Angle, deg"[1] and "Angle, deg"[1] > "Angle, deg"[2] and "Angle, deg" > -.1 and "Angle, deg" < 0;
plot NearZeroUp = if approachZero then 1 else Double.NaN;

Ruby:
## Started on 2021.09.23
## MA Slope SCAN
##
##
## CREDITS
##
##
##
##       : 

input length = 20;
input price = close;

would i able to use this for like intraday 5minute chart. where it will only bring up stocks that are showing a posting slope for like the last 10 5minute bars.

would i able to use this for like intraday 5minute chart. where it will only bring up stocks that are showing a posting slope for like the last 10 5minute bars.
Yes. When you build the scan, be sure to increase the bar count "within" so many bars.

Like this:
Ruby:
MA_Slope_SCAN()."crossPositive " is true within 3 bars

I'm been lurking for some time, first time posting. I am trying to create a slope indicator of the 34 EMA in which I have color coded (green, yellow, red) the return angle, similar to Raghee Horner double green indicator. I got /NQ and /YM to work perfectly. If they return angle is greater than 15 degree, then green, if it is less than -15 degree then red, and yellow in between. For some reason, all other stocks and /ES doesn't work correctly. The angle return is in the 0.001 range (possibly radian) and not degrees. I've been racking my head around this for a few days and thought it was an issue with ToS. Does anyone else have this issue with the atan function, or am I missing something? I posted by code below. Thanks in advance for the help.

declare lower;

input length = 34;
input price = close;
input averageType = AverageType. Exponential;
“Angle, deg”.AssignValueColor (if “Angle, deg” >=.833333333 then color.ORANGE else color.white);

def Candle = if “Angle, deg” > 15 then 2 else if “Angle, deg” < -15 then -2 else 0;
def plotcandle = if candle > 3 then 100 else 10;
plot DiffPlot = plotcandle;
DiffPlot.AssignValueColor(if Candle < -1 then Color.RED else if Candle > 1 then Color.GREEN else Color.YELLOW);

@Rockdog10
Ruby:
def Candle =
    if “Angle, deg” > 15 then 2 else
    if “Angle, deg” < -15 then -2 else 0;

This logic doesn't work. Candle will always equal the data set you created (2 or -2 or 0)
Therefore this statement does not do anything:

Yes, I put this statement in because I have an extended area that plots white features if there is no value. It's just a visually thing for me on my graphs. Not sure if that's the right way to do it, but it seem to work visually.

For the issue on the slope, I'm starting to realized that the below statement where value is equal to [1], if I adjust this value to say 5 or 10, my slope accuracy start to widen out. But on some stocks, it's still just read a very low value.

avg - avg[1]
calculates the difference between the moving average of the current candle and the prior candle. Providing a definition of height