Looking for Relative Volume for a watchlist column

H

hurricane5

VIP
Warehouse
I want to be able to see volume for different timeframes/lookback periods on my watchlist (i.e. a column for daily volume looking back 20 periods and another for 15 minute volume looking back 15 periods). Would also like to have it color coded so above X percentage would show as a different color for easy identification. Anyone seen anything close to this?

Thanks!

markos

markos

VIP
Warehouse
Code:
#Give this a try: You can set the volume percent and the average days to use.

#From StanL TreePad database ~2014

# RCG3:  Unusual volume

input price = volume;

input choice = {default increased, decreased};

input percent = 20;

input length = 50;

def avg = average(price, length)[1];

def chg = 100*(price/avg -1);

plot scan;

switch (choice) {

case increased:

scan = chg >= percent;

case decreased:

scan = chg <= -percent;

}

#end

Last edited by a moderator:
T

toncuz

Ok then, if sizzle is just puts vs calls...has anyone seen a good TOS script for relative-volume for the first hour of the day? I mean...comparing the first hour with the last twenty FIRST HOUR OF THE DAY. The first hour is almost always above average, so that doesn't count. It must be compared to previous "first hours". Not the last 20 hours of trading. The script must be here somewhere.

markos

markos

VIP
Warehouse
@toncuz many statisticians will tell you that taking a one hour snapshot in time is totally random, without rhyme or reason.
You can look in the link below that comes from our tutorial section. Inside there you can find the pieces to put a script together.

P

Princedev

@markos does the Anchored VWAP Indicator for ThinkorSwim still work

Last edited by a moderator:
markos

markos

VIP
Warehouse
@markos does the Anchored VWAP Indicator for ThinkorSwim still work
@Princedev I would have no reason to think that is does not work. Beyond that I can't help you because I'm on mobile. It does work on my android.

markos

markos

VIP
Warehouse
@toncuz Try this snippet for your scan. You will have to adjust the plot statement, it is just an example.

Code:
# Mobius_TimeBracketConditions-scan
# Time Bracket condition

input Begin  = 0930;
input End    = 1030;

def Active = if SecondsFromTime(Begin) > 0 and
                   SecondsTillTime(End) >= 0 
                then 1 
                else 0;
   def VA20 =    Volume(Average, 20) #Example

Plot = VA20 #Example

markos

markos

VIP
Warehouse
@Princedev What is happening to your VWAP? What time frames have you tried? Place VWAP into the search box above. Hopefully you'll find an different version to try. if a different version doesn't help, that would tell me that you may want to contact ToS Support.

T

toncuz

Last edited:
H

horserider

VIP
Warehouse
@toncuz If the script does not show up most likely no one has done it and likely no one has an interest in your first hour comparisons. Maybe just do a 20 period chart and compare first hour volumes visually. Is there some logic why first hour volume across different days will provide a trading advantage?

T

toncuz

Relative volume is one of the most important metrics to get an edge. Why on earth would anyone compare volume at 2pm with volume at 10pm...which is always triple average volume simply because it's the opening hour??? You have to compare apples to apples. How can anyone put on a morning day trade without knowing the relative volume of the first hour compared to average volume of the last 20 first hours? This is something Finviz always had. Yet, TOS is still getting out of bed.

How can anyone put on a 1pm day trade without knowing average volume of the last 20 1pm volumes??