Laptop - Best for Trading - Please Help

andresuk

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I take the opportunity to thank Benten for the code and dedication.

I am thinking of changing my computer, and this time I want to buy a laptop, but searching and searching, I still can't decide.

I use excel, word, thinkorswim, chrome, operaGx, and some games.

I have 3 monitors :
Lenovo Thinkvision 27" , by USB-C connection (2560x1440)
1 Dell 24" - HDMI
1 Samsung 34" wide ( 3440 x1440) - HDMI

One of the options I'm looking at is "

Razer - Blade 15 Advanced - 15.6" Gaming Laptop - FHD-360HZ - Intel Core i7 - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080-32GBRAM-1TB SSD - Black"

I would like to know your opinion, since maybe there is a better option.-

(My apologies if my English is not good)

Thanks in advance

AUK

It's an overkill for trading but that graphic card can push the resolution without a sweat.

@andresuk Unless you really need to storage space, when it comes to Solid State Drives you should right-size it to your needs... Unlike Hard Disk Drives, bigger doesn't equate to faster or better - it's just bigger and more prone to fail... The same goes for memory, if you don't need it then keep it at a size that best suits your needs... Thinkorswim isn't going to use a lot of memory and if it does, performance can actually diminish... Thinkorswim also won't use much storage space...

I've been in IT for over 30 years and have seen customers going out and buying high-end gaming computers to send emails and work in a small spreadsheet, thinking bigger is better, only to find that all of the wretched excess was nothing but a burden in the long run... Had they consulted me they would have saved money, aggravation, and grief by being recommended a right-sized computer that would best suit their needs...

All that said, if you want to drive several large monitors a PC would actually be preferable to a laptop... I comes down to buying the right tool for the job... A laptop can only dissipate so much heat and heat will kill a laptop faster than any other factor - other than dropping it or throwing/smashing it in frustration... Yeah, I've had customers do that too...

And remember, above all else, spending more on computers doesn't really get you more... It just provides the manufacturer and seller more profit margin...

I agree with @rad14733. About a year ago, I bought an Asus 15" gaming laptop with 10th gen i7, 16 GB ram and 1000 MB ssd and Nvidia card. It powers a 50" 4K monitor. It was on sale for $1300. It is great, absolutely no hiccups, my only complaint is that as a gaming laptop, it runs very hot (as RAD said), so I built some small, custom fans for it. About 3 months ago as a backup computer, I bought an MSI with same specs as the Asus (11th gen i7) for $800 on sale. It runs much cooler. Probably because it is a non gaming computer. I'm not sure if I could get the same deals lately with the chip shortages. A agree about using a tower PC. I just like a laptop for going on vacation, moving around the house, or sitting outside and relaxing. (note: I do not trade when on vacation, that would not be a vacation then. I use it for email, web searches for vacation related things, etc.) I actually use the MSI now for travel, as it is very light.

a few months ago i bought a new laptop, a lenovo with an intel i7. it was on sale at staples.
i decided to go with a 'normal' laptop with a max resolution of 1920 x 1080. it is working out fine. it has USB and hdmi connectors. but i decided to get a dock to drive my tv's, and give me cat5 and more usb ports. (i don't want to rely on wifi when trading)

i bought this USB-C dock to drive my 2 (1080) tv's, a 32" and a 48". it is capable of higher resolutions.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/access...le-docks/TP-Hybrid-USB-C-Dock-US/p/40AF0135US

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I take the opportunity to thank Benten for the code and dedication.

I am thinking of changing my computer, and this time I want to buy a laptop, but searching and searching, I still can't decide.

I use excel, word, thinkorswim, chrome, operaGx, and some games.

I have 3 monitors :
Lenovo Thinkvision 27" , by USB-C connection (2560x1440)
1 Dell 24" - HDMI
1 Samsung 34" wide ( 3440 x1440) - HDMI

One of the options I'm looking at is "

Razer - Blade 15 Advanced - 15.6" Gaming Laptop - FHD-360HZ - Intel Core i7 - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080-32GBRAM-1TB SSD - Black"

I would like to know your opinion, since maybe there is a better option.-

(My apologies if my English is not good)

Thanks in advance

AUK
Try

Trading Computers - Investing & Trading Computers

https://www.tradingcomputers.com

I am interested in getting a laptop for travel to run NinjaTrader 8 and maybe a small monitor [ 24 inch ]. Any recommendations? Minimum specs by NT: 1 GHZ, 2 GB ram, Microsoft .NE7 Framework4.8, screen resolution 1024x 768 and DirectX10 compatible graphics card. They prefer 2GHz, 8GB ram with SSD HD. Appreciate any input and especially if someone is using NT8.

I have a Dell XPS 15 and ThinkPad X1 Carbon 14" 8th Gen. Nice sturdy machines.

If I needed to buy another laptop for trading, it would probably be 15" mainly because they have necessary ports to drive 2 monitors. I would want the new Ryzen 7 CPUs which are in short supplies. Intel CPUs are falling behind. It would be nice to have a GPU but not at the sake of overheating.

Storage is not nearly as important as I have a home NAS drive. Basic QNAP TS219P with 2 bays. I can access it from anywhere using VPN.

The Asus Zenbook Duo looks really with its 2 OLED screens. Could be useful for hot buttons for daytrading.

Major advantages for having laptops as main machines is that you can be mobile. I have a Sidekick monitor, about 13" 1080p. At least 2 monitors is a must for traveling. I used to have Asus 15" 1080p monitors but they didn't attach as nicely to the laptop as the SideKick.

Same as above. A good internet connection is the biggest concern. I have three laptops, two are Windows 7 and one a Windows 8, all now with 10. The smallest is a tiny one with a simple Intel Core processor and 4 megabytes of RAM. Works fine for Think Or Swim. The desktop I'm using was built for me by a local computer store and they helped me not overbuy beyond the needs. I will say, I've been wanting to run Microsoft Flight Simulator with my Oculus Quest 2, so I could use the super duper gaming computer, but that would be the only thing needed to be top end.

@andresuk all that matters is decent Internet connection, and a Higher Single Core CPU, CPU with Turbo 3.5 vs 5.2Ghz, I would prefer later, Even if Turbo is allowed on one Core, you are fine for TOS.

TOS can't use multiple cores. Get a good cooling solutions, if the default Cooling is running your laptop hot. Look for Cooling Pads.

PS: not that it matters, but try and manage same resolution across all the external Monitors, to make it easy on eyes.

-S

I have a Dell Alienware Area 51 laptop and love it. It handles multiple monitors and doesn't need an extra cooling fan. However, if you are going to place it on your lap for extended periods of time, I would put a hard surface under it.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.