Ideal Memory Usage Settings For ThinkOrSwim

Stockleed

Quick questions, what the is absolutely BEST setting to set my Memory Usage to?

I have a 32 RAM.
Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Hopefully I'm not too late... Mine also has 32gb RAM. A superb (rare) tech support pro from TOS helped my TOS run so smooth that I've been able to run OnDemand as if it were live-trading (OnDemand: only 2 charts on one monitor open vs. several more during live trading), 2 different time frames, in order to keep it light, with ANY stocks so far except for TSLA (reduced, but still lagging as far as painted candles trying to catch up with price - Again, this is lagging OnDemand we're talking about). Steps:

1. Save all your styles and workspace(s).
2. "Reset workspace to default" then load your saved workspace.
3. In EACH chart that you have in your workspace, Style: "Reset to factory default" then reload your saved style, then save your workspace again.

Note:
a. I repeat step #3 every time I change anything in my setup. I've noticed immediate order executions even during extreme volatility such as first 10min of opening.

b. With OnDemand (saved a separate workspace with only one monitor utilized), reset workspace to default --> load workspace for OnDemand --> reset Style to factory default --> turn on OnDemand --> "reset time" (of OnDemand) --> load your saved Style.

Hope the above helps.

One thing to note, I keep a "RAM Usage" gauge running in my taskbar, and I've noticed that throughout the day, TOS seems to continually increase the RAM that it has used / reserved. To alleviate this, I go to the "Help" tab and "Collect Garbage" about once each hour. This reduces the memory used by half.

I also have a "Core Heat meter" which shows that the more active you are (with TOS and web browsers running), the more the core temps spike. My problem was that I thought I was going to have a better laptop by using a gaming laptop, but they tend to run much hotter than others. To solve this, I bought some small hobby fans (made for cooling stereo cabinets) and have them set up to keep the air flowing around the laptop. They are quiet, and it works great.

I'd use 512 MB as a min, and 4096 as a max. I have 16 GB of RAM in my PC and it works great.

Running 3 monitors and a dedicated video card.

Since ToS is a Java-based application, it uses what's known as a Garbage Collector to clear out unused memory. The problem with this method is that it has to scan all of your memory to figure out what to clear out. So, it's counterintuitive. The more it has to scan, the slower it is. The smaller the memory size, the less it has to scan, but also the more frequently it will be forced to clear out garbage.

I wouldn't recommend going higher than that unless you get an out of memory error.

I am upgrading my computer. Is 64 GB RAM overkill compared to to 32 GB RAM. I use OnDemand a lot, sometimes with multiple instances. I believe that this is fairly RAM intensive. Anything to gain with 64 GB?

I am upgrading my computer. Is 64 GB RAM overkill compared to to 32 GB RAM. I use OnDemand a lot, sometimes with multiple instances. I believe that this is fairly RAM intensive. Anything to gain with 64 GB?
There is nothing to be gained with 64 GB of ram.
Your post was moved to this thread because the ram on your computer has little effect on the rendering of the ToS platform.
read more:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/ideal-memory-usage-settings-for-thinkorswim.10201/#post-128355

Last edited:
To Optimize The ToS App:
1. Your Internet speed maybe too slow.
This is mostly seen in the ToS mobile app and laptops using WiFi.

2. To create a faster experience, a graphics board with dedicated graphical interface memory helps.
But this is not a show stopper.

3. Make sure you maintain a minimal number of Custom Scripts
Keeping unused custom indicators in your ThinkorSwim app can potentially slow it down.
The more you have, exponentially creates lag to access the ones that you use.
Copy unused custom studies to your computer then delete them from your app
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/best-way-to-save-lines-of-code.14973/#post-122479

4. of GREATEST importance is the initial memory settings BEFORE you boot the ToS app:
0CPVFWm.jpg

Suggested settings:
  • If you have 4GB of RAM, set the min/max to 512/1536
  • If you have 8GB of RAM, set the min/max to 1024/3072
  • If you have 16-32GB of RAM, set the min/max to 4096/6144
That said, I run 16GB ram on one rig and 32GB on another and my memory settings are:
512/6144.

My reasoning is:
The ToS app is limited by being single-threaded. All my watchlists, charts, detached widgets are requesting updates at the same time through that single core. By having a lower memory setting, the ToS app is clearing memory constantly; which allows each request to be processed with the full use of my memory.

My setup includes 6 grids running an average of 24 studies in each chart.
along with various watchlists and detached widgets across three monitors.
The ToS memory gauge generally always shows excess free memory with occasional nanosecond spikes.

You can keep the memory gauge detached to see how your settings are working for you.
Continue to experiment until it is optimized to your needs.
(click on help then click on system)
VE9FDOL.png

Mine is just one humble opinion.
Everybody and their mother has an opinion on what memory settings works best for them.
These opinions are wildly divergent with no common consensus.

So many opinions:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/ideal-memory-usage-settings-for-thinkorswim.10201/
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/thinkorswim-app-system-lag.1173/
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/computer-upgrade-for-thinkorswim.5356/

Last edited:
To Optimize The ToS App:
1. Your Internet speed maybe too slow.
This is mostly seen in the ToS mobile app and laptops using WiFi.

2. To create a faster experience, a graphics board with dedicated graphical interface memory helps.
But this is not a show stopper.

3. Make sure you maintain a minimal number of Custom Scripts
Keeping unused custom indicators in your ThinkorSwim app can potentially slow it down.
The more you have, exponentially creates lag to access the ones that you use.
Copy unused custom studies to your computer then delete them from your app
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/best-way-to-save-lines-of-code.14973/#post-122479

4. of GREATEST importance is the initial memory settings BEFORE you boot the ToS app:
0CPVFWm.jpg

Suggested settings:

That said, I run 16GB ram on one rig and 32GB on another and my memory settings are:
512/6144.

My reasoning is:
The ToS app is limited by being single-threaded. All my watchlists, charts, detached widgets are requesting updates at the same time through that single core. By having a lower memory setting, the ToS app is clearing memory constantly; which allows each request to be processed with the full use of my memory.

My setup includes 6 grids running an average of 24 studies in each chart.
along with various watchlists and detached widgets across three monitors.
The ToS memory gauge generally always shows excess free memory with occasional nanosecond spikes.

You can keep the memory gauge detached to see how your settings are working for you.
Continue to experiment until it is optimized to your needs.
VE9FDOL.png

Mine is just one humble opinion.
Everybody and their mother has an opinion on what memory settings works best for them.
These opinions are wildly divergent with no common consensus.

So many opinions:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/ideal-memory-usage-settings-for-thinkorswim.10201/
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/thinkorswim-app-system-lag.1173/
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/computer-upgrade-for-thinkorswim.5356/
work so good for me

Thank you very much it works great for me. with 32gb of ram I had problems until I used your 512/6144 configuration

Lets back up and double-check the computer requirements.
TDA recommends the following to run thinkorswim smoothly:
  1. Operating System:
    • Windows: Windows 7 or later.
    • macOS: macOS 10.12 or later.
  2. Processor:
    • For Windows: Intel Core i3 or equivalent.
    • For macOS: Intel Core i5 or equivalent.
  3. RAM (Memory):
    • Minimum: 4GB RAM.
    • Recommended: 8GB or more for optimal performance.
  4. Hard Drive Space:
    • 1GB free disk space for installation.
  5. Internet Connection:
    • A broadband internet connection is essential for real-time data.
  6. Monitor Resolution:
    • 1280x800 pixels or higher.
  7. Browser:
    • For the best experience, use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
  8. Java:
    • Ensure you have the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed.
If you have the above then the:
Recommended ToS settings:
  • If you have 4GB of RAM, set the min/max to 512/1536
  • If you have 8GB of RAM, set the min/max to 1024/3072
For 6GB, experiment with each of the above.

VE9FDOL.png

Continue to experiment with the suggestions found here:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/ideal-memory-usage-settings-for-thinkorswim.10201/#post-128355
until it is optimized to your needs.

Last edited:
I set up my system according to post #2 and it made a HUGE difference in how much less the processer has to work. I went fron 80-90 % on my processor draw down (according to the task manager) down to 35 to 40 %

Running Windows 10 Pro ( assuming Windows 11 Pro is same / similar ).

For big performance improvement in TOS, go to Task Manager, Details Tab and then right click on thinkorswim.exe, Set Priority then High ( Real Time can overwhelm a system or so the windows nerds say ).

This has to be done manually on each reboot of app or PC. You can create a .bat script to automate, but I have enough headaches with Windows 10 so I choose to manually do this. ( who made the decision to include xbox functionality in a corp OS platform ??? )

Works well. Failing studies are now working.
6iuQl5X.png