How to create alerts for non-standard time frames?

T

TinkerScripter

I want to set alerts for time frames that are not available as far as I know in ThinkorSwim. The alert tab in MarketWatch does not allow me to alert the 90 minute or the 3, 6, 8 or 12 hour time frames.

Does anyone know a way around this?

Is possible to code an indicator that creates the time frame I want and then use that indicator in the alert tab to set the alert? For example, select the 1 hour time period on the alert tab and have the indicator create the alert for the 3 hours worth of data and when the condition is true on the 3 hr aggregated data I have the new time period alert.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

T

tradebyday

Those time frames are accessible if you go to "time frame setup" -> "time frame" -> "time" -> "intraday" -> "custom" . If this is not what you are looking for, could you please elaborate more? What are the alerts signaling?? Conditions of a specific indicator? Just an alarm every "x" time passing?

T

TinkerScripter

I am looking to set up alerts that will send me a text and email. The 90 minute or the 3, 6, 8 or 12 hour time frames are not available in MarketWatch, alerts tab. I got confirmation from TOS support that they are not available but would put in a request to the developers to add them.

The alerts tab can be used to set up alerts for any indicator, price, volume, etc.

In the mean time I am wondering if there are any work-arounds using coding that will aggregate lower time periods into larger ones that are not available. For example aggregate 1 hour into a 3 hour bar or 30 min into 90 min.

T

tradebyday

I am looking to set up alerts that will send me a text and email. The 90 minute or the 3, 6, 8 or 12 hour time frames are not available in MarketWatch, alerts tab. I got confirmation from TOS support that they are not available but would put in a request to the developers to add them.

The alerts tab can be used to set up alerts for any indicator, price, volume, etc.

In the mean time I am wondering if there are any work-arounds using coding that will aggregate lower time periods into larger ones that are not available. For example aggregate 1 hour into a 3 hour bar or 30 min into 90 min.
In regards to indicators, you can code in alerts to trigger when "x" condition(s) is met. Once coded in the indicator, you can simply run your chart on the desired time frames as I previously stated, then the alerts will trigger through charts instead of market watch. However, I have heard from many sources that relying on the text or email alerts to come through in a timely manner (or at all) is a pipe dream and is a feature that is less to be desired.

T

TinkerScripter

I like the flexibility that text and email alerts provide. I have been using them extensively and find they are very reliable. Maybe one out of a hundred are delayed for some reason.