GetATMOption Command Error

Gupta

Hi it is currently saturday as I am writing this, and my problem is that the second line of code returns the ATM option contract but the third line of code does not, even though it is the same date. I am running this on symbol APA.
Code:
def expdate = getYYYYMMDD();

AddLabel(yes, GetATMOption(GetUnderlyingSymbol(), 20230114));

AddLabel(yes, GetATMOption(GetUnderlyingSymbol(), (expdate+8)));

The error I get on the chart when trying to run this is:

Study1: Invalid value for days: 33
I assume I need to convert expdate+8 into a different format as it might be registering as another datatype? I am not sure. Could also due to it being a weekend but it works when I manually type in the date.

UPDATE:
Okay so the code does work but you have to refresh the chart. It still gives the error about invalid days not sure why but it kind of works now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi it is currently saturday as I am writing this, and my problem is that the second line of code returns the ATM option contract but the third line of code does not, even though it is the same date. I am running this on symbol APA.
Code:

I assume I need to convert expdate+8 into a different format as it might be registering as another datatype? I am not sure. Could also due to it being a weekend but it works when I manually type in the date.

UPDATE:
Okay so the code does...
Code:

UPDATE:
Okay so the code does work but you have to refresh the chart. It still gives the error about invalid days not sure why but it kind of works now.

take a look at the posts in this thread, i think they will help reading options data
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/options-capture-option-chain-data-via-thinkscript.3871/

Solution

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Scripts are evaluated against every individual bar on the chart, from left to right, as the script loads. The YYYYMMDD date which is submitted to GetATMOption() can not have a DD higher than 31. You're adding 8 days to the date, so as the script loads, any day-of-month throughout the entire chart which is above the 23rd will cause an error along the way.

You would have to ensure that the proper bar is being evaluated, like:

def expdate = if !isNaN(close) and isNaN(close[-1]) then getYYYYMMDD() else 19020101;

The date in general can't be lower than Jan 1st 1902.

Dates with a month above 12, or a day above 31, and things like that, are completely invalid, and will cause an error.

Dates which are valid, but do not necessarily have options expire on them, like 19020101, will just return a "blank" option code.