List of "Must Have" Fishing Ponds and Indicators for ThinkorSwim

@nrk786 I have added a moving average to my version and use that to help indicate early entry and exit signals... I have also added a no trade zone but can't say that I've paid much attention to it... It also paints dots when the histogram gaps below/above the average and that is my weakness/reversal indicator... Here it is... Let me know what you think...

Ruby:
#ErgodicOsc
#Modified by rad14733 for personal use
#Added moving average and no trade zone

declare lower;

input longLength = 25;
input shortLength = 13;
input signalLength = 8;
input averageType = AverageType.Exponential;

plot ErgodicOsc = TrueStrengthIndex(longLength, shortLength, signalLength, averageType).TSI - TrueStrengthIndex(longLength, shortLength, signalLength, averageType).Signal;

plot ZeroLine = 0;

ErgodicOsc.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Histogram);
ErgodicOsc.SetLineWeight(3);
ErgodicOsc.DefineColor("Positive", Color.GREEN);
ErgodicOsc.DefineColor("Negative", Color.RED);
ErgodicOsc.AssignValueColor(if ErgodicOsc >= 0 then ErgodicOsc.color("Positive") else ErgodicOsc.color("Negative"));
ZeroLine.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(7));

plot avgErgodic = MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE, ErgodicOsc, 8);

def noTradeValue = 2.5;

plot posNoTradeLine = noTradeValue;
plot negNoTradeLine = -noTradeValue;

plot longweak = if ErgodicOsc > 0 and ErgodicOsc < avgErgodic and ErgodicOsc < ErgodicOsc[1] and ErgodicOsc[1] > avgErgodic[1] then 0 else Double.NaN;
longweak.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
longweak.SetDefaultColor(Color.CYAN);
longweak.SetLineWeight(5);
longweak.HideTitle();

plot shortweak = if ErgodicOsc < 0 and ErgodicOsc > avgErgodic and ErgodicOsc > ErgodicOsc[1] and ErgodicOsc[1] < avgErgodic[1] then 0 else Double.NaN;
shortweak.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
shortweak.SetDefaultColor(Color.MAGENTA);
shortweak.SetLineWeight(5);
shortweak.HideTitle();
How did you decide on the value of your NoTradeLines or dead zones? I would like to apply a similar system to other indicators, but I don't know how to make a reliable determination of the minimum value for a trade.

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

How did you decide on the value of your NoTradeLines or dead zones? I would like to apply a similar system to other indicators, but I don't know how to make a reliable determination of the minimum value for a trade.
The NoTradeLines need to be adjusted for every instrument charted so I rarely pay attention to them and, in fact, tend to turn off those plots most of the time... They might come in handy if the indicator was to be incorporated into a more broad trading strategy...

@rad14733 So how would I go about adding MA lines to all the histograms that I currently use?

I am not a coder but looking at it... This is part of it ...

Code:
plot avgErgodic = MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE, ErgodicOsc, 8);

After adding above line would I just replace "ErgodisOsc" (below) with the name of whatever histogram I currently use ?

Code:
ErgodicOsc.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Histogram);
ErgodicOsc.SetLineWeight(3);
ErgodicOsc.DefineColor("Positive", Color.GREEN);
ErgodicOsc.DefineColor("Negative", Color.RED);
ErgodicOsc.AssignValueColor(if ErgodicOsc >= 0 then ErgodicOsc.color("Positive") else ErgodicOsc.color("Negative"));
ZeroLine.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(7));

Thx

@JPIMP Yes, that's more or less the overall concept... (y) They truly do help... I've actually been pondering the concept of trying different average types and most likely will over the next several days... If you run into a problem, just give a shout-out...

For those listing the indicators you use, I think it would be useful to describe why you use it and perhaps even how you use it in your trading.

Hi people,
Having went thru the forum quite a bit and always found some reoccurring question on certain scripts request and always thinking of helping other find a better solution than to go thru all the links in different part of the forum...

And I think I found it...

Check out the following YouTube where TOS scripts expert tackle them in the most efficient ways:

Trend and Bounce Scripts:

This one video provide an Indicator u can use right now right here + cover the following request:
1. Indicator I can use right now right here but customize to my condition
2. Indicator I can use right now right here but add/minus, day/minutes AND point them out with with my own label
3. Indicator I can use right now right here + add on TOS indicator AND ALSO tweet the TOS indicator
4. Indicator I can use right now right here + look for certain candle pattern
5. Scan, add, delete, customize column... not only in watch list BUT other quote list in TOS

There are lot of other video within this series to power up your scriptiblity and I usually watch this TOS movie during meal or weekend because there isn't any good movie anyway during the past year due to the pandemic. Other video including thing like looking for volume spike, with price action, and turning any indicator into scan and the list go on... they provide the script so u could use them straight away or twist them to your request...

Njoy :devilish:

Hello. what are some of the you guys/gals’ favorite trend strength indicators? I trade on 1min chart and use MACD and Elastic Stock but I was wondering if there are any better indicator for strength other than these two that I’m missing. I daytrade so I am interested in indicators that work on lower timeframes.
thank you for your time and education

Hello. what are some of the you guys/gals’ favorite trend strength indicators? I trade on 1min chart and use MACD and Elastic Stock but I was wondering if there are any better indicator for strength other than these two that I’m missing. I daytrade so I am interested in indicators that work on lower timeframes.
thank you for your time and education
could you explain a bit more how you use macd to indicate strength of the trend not just direction.

could you explain a bit more how you use macd to indicate strength of the trend not just direction.
So I try to keep it simple if MACD Value crosses above Average and MACD value is below Zero line then I look at Elastic Stoch to confirm uptrend and vice versa.

Wondering how to re-set the upper left corner of scan setup tab back to "original" where nothing is there.
Right now it shows Top 10 sizzling stock, and I can't get rid of it with new scanner. tks

unTdLGF.png

@cswu1211 Don't click on the flames icon above the Add filter button and you won't get Top 10 SizzlingStocks.
To reload your scan click on the middle "hamburger icon"
HIKwnjU.png

tXWNvMC.png

@Learnbot "keep it simple if MACD Value crosses above Average and MACD value is below Zero line" You mentioned you wanted trend strength, seems a MACD below the zero line is not showing strength.

So I try to keep it simple if MACD Value crosses above Average and MACD value is below Zero line then I look at Elastic Stoch to confirm uptrend and vice versa.
i dont even know where to start really, are those the only indicators you use? supertrend or blackflag tailing stop might help

If I were to create a NEW Candlestick using Todays' CLOSE compared with OPEN previous 9 day ago, and make it a new candle, the color of the candle will be shown as the regular RED/Green.
How should I do to write the script?! Can someone help?! best wishes

def IsUp = close > open[-9];
def IsDown = close < open[-9];
plot PatternPlot =
..........I need help further.........

Last edited:
One cannot make a new candle the market makes the candles. Are you looking to show an uptrend/downtrend? What is the logic behind this? A more detailed description might help.
No idea if the code below works.

((Sum(IsUp, 9)[1] >= 0)) and
((Sum(IsUp, 1)[0] >= 0)) and
close[0] > open[9];

or

close[0] < open[9];

@Learnbot "keep it simple if MACD Value crosses above Average and MACD value is below Zero line" You mentioned you wanted trend strength, seems a MACD below the zero line is not showing strength.
I agree with you, that is why I wanted to see if anyone here up an point me in direction of a good trend strength indicator I can incorporate in my trading scheme. thank you for your help through 😁

@Learnbot TTM_Squeeze, TMO, and several other "Momentum" indicators would help with "trend strength"... RSI (Relative Strength Index), as the name implies, is yet another...

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
477 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back