/ES Futures Trading Strategy on ThinkorSwim

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

@@blakecmathis also can you sure latest setup ? so i was looking at it and confused as i am seeing fake signal how to avoid those? or can you explain in detail please how do u enter your trade? Thanks

@blakecmathis. Yes sir. I will typically use a dynamic stop instead of a fixed one also. It varies depending on each individual trade as you mentioned. If I get stopped out, it wont reach my worst case 6 point stop. I will, 99.9% of the time get out before that loss takes place.

@twoduds Not exactly. Wait for confirmation from the CCI/ATR on the 2000t. You'll notice hows theres a double tap shelf @ 3331.50 right before the low was made. I went long for a fill @ 3331.75

owNoETY.png
could you please share the setup for this 8/10 post?

@blakecmathis ran a small backtest examining similarities in charts from intraday to longer term - definitely places to make longer term plays but many market moves on a longer term (daily+) scale with this chart setup can result in forces out of a trader's control. Been following this thread for a while but would love an update on your current set up and how your enter/exit strategy has evolved

@Misterputspread So I really dont think I'm ever going to have a clear cut exit strategy I think there are just too many variables in play when dealing with exits (for scalping anyways). Things I always shoot for as far as exits: open of the day, open/close for the previous day, VWAP and just simple S/R dude. I 100% need to work on my patience and let my winning trades develop into 6-10 point plays. Thats the only thing holding me back at this point. The technical part is pretty straight forward but the psychological part is a SOB. I've been using the OG setup lately just trying to keep it simple.

https://tos.mx/qFLQNzA

Crazy day for me to try and learn this strategy, hoping for some guidance on a few questions.
1. I noticed the current price ( top left) is not the same as those displayed on the 1000t and 2000t charts, is there a relevance to this? sometimes differing by as much as 20 points.. Made it very difficult to track the trade
2. Market orders were filling with Futures contract /ESU SEPT 20, I have not traded futures on TOS before, is this correct? Does it correlate to $12.50 per 1/4 point?
3. Method I was using was alert on 1000t chart, confirmation arrow on 2000t chart, Buy/ Sell Market (Arrow up Buy / Down Sell Market). Sometimes I would get the confirmation arrow on 2000t and enter long, should I also wait for the candle to turn blue before entering?

Hope you all made money today,

Thanks

I'm posting an image (screenshot this morning) to accompany questions above.

1. Why do the prices differ?
2. Is my work flow correct? Red circled numbers.
3. Is entry on 2000t color candle change after alert on chart?

Thanks in anticipation

wtKVmvu.jpeg

@3L10Ns Most likely due to the difference between 1000t and 2000t chart painting... I see this all the time when watching the same security on two different tick-counts... I use Renko Bars and Ticks so it's quite common... Perhaps more so than with candlesticks...

@3L10Ns Try changing your price type to "Mark" under Futures tab in Chart Settings. Could be a question of real time data vs delayed data as well!

For anyone still interested...you can add Bens sideways indicator to replace the gamma line - I combine this with RSIL and (SMI "the Unknown121 indicator here". Ben can correct me if I am wrong but his sideways indicator that uses DMI is basically a flipped chopline indicator which is what uses gamma as seen here.my personal preference is to turn on RSIL (the author has this switched off) to see entries and exits a bit better.

sideways indicator found here: https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...nkorswim-avoid-trading-in-choppy-markets.419/

Bonus Tip: Here is a little trick I figured out for all you premium members with the new buy the dip and take profit indicators. Plot these two in the same lower study and watch for crosses like you would with DMI.

http://tos.mx/s0UFtYi

This is what I am using presently, I removed all my proprietary indicators. Please let me know what improvements can be made, you guys are awesome. I am a newbie, trying to learn. I use this on E-Mini futures.

Is there a dumbed down version of when to enter trades either long or short? Im looking at the grid where you have ES 1000 with SPY and then es2000 on other side. But looking at the wave trend with FE im still sort of confused when entry is best. Is there something you have to show that simplified? Also what is your current set up @blakecmathis

Is there a dumbed down version of when to enter trades either long or short? Im looking at the grid where you have ES 1000 with SPY and then es2000 on other side. But looking at the wave trend with FE im still sort of confused when entry is best. Is there something you have to show that simplified? Also what is your current set up @blakecmathis

Read the thread and put in work man. You want to make money in the stock market by actively trading but can't take the time to read 1 thread that gives you exact details on a good strategy? You should probably take several months to read a stack of books and stare at charts with these indicators paper trading and finding what works for you before you risk real money here.

Blake's strategy is simple and he's described it several times here. Wait for an arrow on the wave oscillator, then look for confirmation through price action, the 2000T CCI, or whatever makes sense to you.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but Blake comes in here and gifts everyone with a working edge, which is very valuable in so many ways, and its ridiculous to see so many people ask him to waste his time repeating himself over and over because they're too lazy to read a thread.

I have read it all and looked through all 39 pages. All I’m looking for is some additional help because new to trading and some of the lingo I couldn’t find. So I asked for current charts he’s using due to the fact it was said trying to keep it simple and wanted to see what changed from original charts. Was looking for what the FE is along with the CCI. So trying to put together a small note card with Information and triggers to help my trading and make me and other who may be confused on the lingo and charts all over this thread. So if your willing to help great. If not then bite me for trying to get some help and clarification. Also thread is over two years old so yeah asking for some updates and clairty

@IThinkImLost11 Being a new member, and new to trading, doesn't give you the right to be rude here in the forums... There was no need for you to use a such derogatory term as "bite me"... We're all adults here, or should be, so show some respect to the membership at large... You won't receive much help with an immature attitude like that... Now, had you stated that you had read the entire topic at least once, if not multiple times, then perhaps the response you received would have been different... We're here to help those who are willing to help themselves but, unfortunately, some folks just want instant help without doing any leg work for themselves... Going forward, try being a bit more civil because nobody here owes you anything...

I've traded on and off for over 30 years, and have read dozens of books on the subject, not to mention having written stock market analysis software, and I still read entire topics here multiple times just to see if I've missed anything... You, as a new trader, need to chill out a bit, do ample research, and take all free advice given... Nuff Said...

Didnt say anybody owes me anything or the fact that being called out for free advice or looking for handouts. Looking for clarification on a few studies and yes reading this does help however clarification helps as well. Been doing tons of leg work and working on this for 6 months. Not looking for handouts. My response is to individual telling me I’m looking for handouts and want someone to do the work for me. I take the criticism fine when done correctly.

So if possible moving past this. If possible with the FE below the zero line and if it’s below that’s confirmation? If FE is high when the alerts trigger in main chart. Then it could be false signal ? And if both Tick charts correlate together then strong chance of true reading? That is what I’m kind of gathering

Ben's Swing Trading Strategy + Indicator

I wouldn't call this a course. My goal is zero fluff. I will jump right into my current watchlist, tell you the ThinkorSwim indicator that I'm using, and past trade setups to help you understand my swing trading strategy.

I'm Interested

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
493 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back