/ES Futures Trading Strategy on ThinkorSwim

I'd really like to convert it to an auto trading system I just have no idea where to start so if anybody has any ideas I'm all ears 🤙 Not sure how plausible that would be but might be worth a shot.

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

Nice job @blakecmathis ,

I'm finding this very useful so far. I've not been using it for scalps, but as a trigger for larger ES day trade swings 10-20+ points from my other trading plan.

Normal method would not have triggered on the two today, but this gave me an entry (just a bit later) and gave me two 20point swings on 3point stops.

I'll probably use it for some scalps while not being in a larger trade.

For those asking about MES vs ES. You should be able to chart everything on ES and trade MES just fine.

I trade through IB but most of my charts are TOS, Multicharts, Tradingview, sometimes Street Smart Edge for a few tools when it's working...

I'd really like to convert it to an auto trading system I just have no idea where to start so if anybody has any ideas I'm all ears 🤙 Not sure how plausible that would be but might be worth a shot.

I have a "framework" I use in TOS to backtest automated strategies. I will probably take a look at plugging this into it. I've also been interested in MetaTrader5 for automating. I have yet to play with MT5...

Have you had any luck with getting the 2000tick confirmation signal on the 1000tick chart?

I have an idea to try, but I don't know if it will work. (nevermind, doesn't work...)

Last edited:
@BlueRaven thats the one thing we still haven't been able to do and it would be awesome if we could. There's got to be some combination of settings we can set the CCI/ATR to mimick the signals from the 2000t.

Blake! Thanks so much for sharing your setup! I'm having fun here paper trading on /mes. This morning was a thing though..

I am playing around with your latest version of the set up with a couple changes and indicators for support and resistance and trend. I don't actually trade futures right now, but I am finding it is a pretty good play with SPY options (and VIX, SPY, Q's derivatives options). I also have support and resistance and zones off on a Quick chart so I combine all that date to play off support and resistance for entries and exits. Only a couple trades thus far but pretty good. Setup https://tos.mx/CAGaCcZ

Vi3VQ11.png

@BlueRaven Add another WTO study and double the Channel length and Average length just set arrows to be different size and color for you to see the difference. It seems to work.

Or try this, this is as close as I can get it at the moment. https://tos.mx/7ksylPg This combines the 2 periods in one for a lower study. I want to actually plot divergence and signal when the next lowest is above the oversold or overbought. As divergences make better entries which matters more for options.

OOOOh. in love. So using the autotrend and plotting divergence on the WTO indicator on the 1000t with the second line being 2000t. It makes a lovely divergence indicator. https://tos.mx/fOJZlJ0. So (in theory as i have not traded it yet) the big green arrow showed the buy signal on 2000t, then the small arrows showed buy signals on 1000t. then it touched support 3 times with the divergence, giving you a nice entry. Same on the turn down. Got a sell signal with the 1000t arrow, my trend showing price rising, then on R1 gave divergence on the 1000t (purple) and down she does breaking the rising wedge. the Entry 1 would be the one matching FE below 0, and a higher probability trade into change of momentum. (Just showing this on /Cl as where the divergence is evident on the time frame, the auto lines move as new data is presented)

HiddRNk.png

Last edited by a moderator:
hi I am newbie to Futures trading (scalping/daytrading/swing trading), have been doing stock options (theta strategy) trading for a while now. I did few weeks of paper trading and then /MES and /RTY trading for past few weeks. Even though I have been profitable - I think it is more a chance than anything and want to get to better structure with indicators and strategies.

Accordingly, I am trying to digest this thread. There are number of thinkscripts being shared. Can someone recommend the right one to use. Also, can they be used against /MES or RTY or only against /ES ?
Also, is there any youtube video or instructions on the best way to read and use that. Which indicator to use for a buy/sell signal.

Last edited:
Hi @blakecmathis and others...
Please feel free to chime in on .. what i could have done.

First.png

First and foremost... awesome thread... spend a day figuring out.. and good one.

Did paper trade and got 1/3 (2 wrongs).. Want to see,what i did wrong ... So please chime in experts..

First.png

second.png

Can you suggest me .. what could i have done better..
Also i am not sure of the use of FE in these trades.

Thanks in advance
MN

@easyman Could you be a little more specific with your entries man??

Sure Sir..

1) Picture 1 and 2 are duplicate ... no idea why... Shorted around yesterday 8.01 AM ...on 29th... It's Purple ...and even 1000 (blue arrow) and 2000t (white arrow) were aligned but the market went up... Asking any other way to filter

2) Picture 3 is same... around 9.03 AM.. (Cursor and orange color)

I am thinking of playing with 1 min to slow down as the market pumps 1000t very fast many times... any idea...

THanks again

Thanks @blakecmathis for this amazing initiative and other members for contributing on this strategy. I have been testing it for a week and looks like if you're disciplined enough to follow the signals and know to read price action with support and resistance it's a killer strategy. However, I have a question. How do you guys differentiate if a signal is a pullback in a strong trend versus if the signal is a solid reversal? Thank You.

@easyman Okay I see what you were talking about now. That was a tough play that I sat out of just because it was beginning to look like some consolidation. If it starts to get choppy I'll sit out situations like that and look for a nice clean even break. Hope that helps man!!

@Earthian Well theres always gonna be some iffy signals man. Like if I get a sell signal from the WTO and confirmation from the 2000t, it could just be only two 2-3 candles that pop red but then it just sky rockets right back up. The good thing is if you obey the stop loss youre probably only gonna take a 3-4 point loss (possibly even less) and can easily make that back on the next play. That is if you are playing by the rules and dont let that one bad play psyche you out for the rest of the day which happens to me a lot.

Have you guys found this strategy using this setup with any other symbols besides /ES? Such as stocks or even other emini symbols? How were your results?

Thank You

Last edited:

Ben's Swing Trading Strategy + Indicator

I wouldn't call this a course. My goal is zero fluff. I will jump right into my current watchlist, tell you the ThinkorSwim indicator that I'm using, and past trade setups to help you understand my swing trading strategy.

I'm Interested

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
293 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back