VWAP Crosses, Format, Watchlist, Label, Scan for ThinkorSwim

Hi

@BenTen @tomsk , or anyone else available to help, I was wondering if I could get some help to finish up this TOS code for watch-list that I was trying to complete, to show green when 9 ema crosses above vwap within last 3 bars, customizable for timeframes, and opposite as well, if 9 ema crosses below vwap within last 3 bars; Here is what I have gotten started:

Code:
input maLengthOne = 9;
input maType=AverageType, EXPONENTIAL
input timeFrame = {default DAY, WEEK, MONTH};
def vwapValue = reference VWAP(-2, 2, timeFrame)."VWAP";
def ma = MovingAverage(maType, vwapValue, maLength);
inputbarsAfterCross = 3;
def crossAbove = maLengthOne > vwap
def crossBelow = maLengthOne < vwap
diff.AssignValueColor(if ma == vwap then Color.CURRENT else Color.BLACK);
AssignBackgroundColor(if diff > 0 then Color. GREEN else if diff < 0 then Color.RED else Color.CURRENT);

Thank you

Papa

Just a follow up, as I previously did not state the issues I was having:
I am getting the messages invalid statements at the certain lines 2, 7 and 10.
If anyone could advise would be great, I am not a coder, but attempted to piece together what I could;
Thanks in advance @BenTen @tomsk @horserider @netarchitech or anyone else who can help me with this!

Code:
input maLengthOne = 9;
input maType=AverageType, EXPONENTIAL
def vwapValue = reference VWAP(-2, 2, timeFrame)."VWAP";
def ma = MovingAverage(maType, vwapValue, maLength);
inputbarsAfterCross = 3;
def crossAbove = maLengthOne > vwap
def crossBelow = maLengthOne < vwap
diff.AssignValueColor(if ma == vwap then Color.CURRENT else Color.BLACK);
AssignBackgroundColor(if diff > 0 then Color. GREEN else if diff < 0 then Color.RED else Color.CURRENT)

Invalid statement: input at 2:1
Invalid statement: def at 7:1
Invalid statement: AssignBackgroundC... at 10:1

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

@PapaBear10 Your code had several syntax errors. Here is my version of a VWAP Watchlist that is painted green when 9 ema crosses above vwap within last 3 bars. It is painted red when 9 ema crosses below vwap within last 3 bars. Remember to select the aggregation period you are interested in when configuring this watchlist

Code:
# VWAP Watchlist
# tomsk
# 1.25.2020

# Watchlist that is painted green when 9 ema crosses above vwap within last 3 bars
# It is painted red when 9 ema crosses below vwap within last 3 bars

input length = 9;

def ema = ExpAverage(close, length);
def vwapValue = reference VWAP();
def crossUp = ema crosses above vwapValue within 3 bars;
def crossDn = ema crosses below vwapValue within 3 bars;
AddLabel(1, if crossUp then "X Up" else if crossDn then "X Down" else " ", Color.Black);
AssignBackgroundColor(if ema crosses above vwapValue then Color.GREEN
                      else if ema crosses below vwapValue then Color.RED
                      else Color.Gray);
# End VWAP Watchlist

Last edited:
Your code had several syntax errors. Here is my version of a VWAP Watchlist that is painted green when 9 ema crosses above vwap within last 3 bars.
Tom, what would I change here to track price crossing? I've got the following; how to I blend them together? I really like the 3-bars approach, so that it will disappear after the cross happens. I've tried swapping out the input length, etc.

plot vwap = vwap();
AssignBackgroundColor(if close > vwap then Color.DARK_GREEN else if close < vwap then Color.DARK_RED else Color.Dark_ORANGE);

Hey @horserider thank you for writing this code, i am struggling with the code where i would like to paint an up( Buy Signal )/down( Sell Signal) arrow when the action takes place. Would you be able to guide on the same. Thank You

I used the below code to setup alerts

Code:
def Bull = avgexp > vwap;
def Bear = avgexp < vwap;

Alert(Bull, "Buy", Alert.Bar, Sound.Chimes);
Alert(Bear, "Sell", Alert.bar, Sound.Chimes);

@mohitdas

Redid original to include new label and arrows and alerts.

Code:
# EMA and VWAP cross. Modified 2 ToS studies and added  labels for crosses. By Horserider 7/21/2019
# Redid label and added cross arrows.

def cap = getAggregationPeriod();

def errorInAggregation =
    timeFrame == timeFrame.DAY and cap >= AggregationPeriod.WEEK or
    timeFrame == timeFrame.WEEK and cap >= AggregationPeriod.MONTH;

assert(!errorInAggregation, "timeFrame should be not less than current chart aggregation period");

def yyyyMmDd = getYyyyMmDd();
def periodIndx;

switch (timeFrame) {

case DAY:
    periodIndx = yyyyMmDd;

case WEEK:
    periodIndx = Floor((daysFromDate(first(yyyyMmDd)) + getDayOfWeek(first(yyyyMmDd))) / 7);

case MONTH:
    periodIndx = roundDown(yyyyMmDd / 100, 0);
}

def isPeriodRolled = compoundValue(1, periodIndx != periodIndx[1], yes);

def volumeSum;
def volumeVwapSum;
def volumeVwap2Sum;

if (isPeriodRolled) {

volumeSum = volume;
    volumeVwapSum = volume * vwap;
    volumeVwap2Sum = volume * Sqr(vwap);

} else {

volumeSum = compoundValue(1, volumeSum[1] + volume, volume);
    volumeVwapSum = compoundValue(1, volumeVwapSum[1] + volume * vwap, volume * vwap);
    volumeVwap2Sum = compoundValue(1, volumeVwap2Sum[1] + volume * Sqr(vwap), volume * Sqr(vwap));

}

def price = volumeVwapSum / volumeSum;
def VWAP = price;

#
#
input price2 = close;
input length = 5;
input displace = 0;

def AvgExp = ExpAverage(price2[-displace], length);

AddLabel(yes, "VWAP EXP Cross", if avgexp > vwap then Color.GREEN else color.RED);

input showBreakoutSignals = no;
plot UpSignal = avgexp crosses above vwap;
plot DownSignal = avgexp crosses below vwap;

UpSignal.SetHiding(!showBreakoutSignals);
DownSignal.SetHiding(!showBreakoutSignals);

UpSignal.SetDefaultColor(Color.UPTICK);
UpSignal.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
DownSignal.SetDefaultColor(Color.DOWNTICK);
DownSignal.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);

Alert(UpSignal, "Buy", Alert.Bar, Sound.Chimes);
Alert(DownSignal, "Sell", Alert.bar, Sound.Chimes);

Hello - Has anyone seen a scanner that shows the list of stocks that satisfy the condition where the 9 SMA has crossed VWAP x mins ago (x can be configured or default to 5 mins)??

You can use the default Scan tab in ThinkorSwim for this. During the scan editor, just select close for one side, crosses - crosses above - crosses below in the middle option, and select VWAP on the right side.

Almost there, on the left column, select the dropdown > Price > close. Select the timeframe that you want. And yes, you would need to create 2 scans for this.

I am new to the forum so wanted to say Hello to everyone. I have a question and hope to get some help. I wonder if there is a script for knowing when the 9 EMA, 21 EMA and 55 EMA are within a certain range (maybe 5 or 10 cents for example) of the VWAP. This is similar to the Golden cross over but including VWAP. Attaching 3 samples of the way this signal helps with understanding the trend. Any help will be appreciated.

DOtEiag.jpg

These do come close to each other frequently and what I have found is when the 3 ema's and vwap cross over either ascending or descending is a very good signal for taking a position (9 ema crossing over 21 ema and 21 ema crossing over 55 ema....when vwap crosses these three as close possible is a very good indicator). So an arrow showing when this happens or some other type of alert, or maybe if we can set this as a scanner.

@smvatkar Here is a template indicator I have involving an EMA and VWAP in one https://tos.mx/OWEY8Di . I would probably say that the addition you would try to tack on to this code would need to be in however an alert (or maybe a scan/market watch alert to make it easier to see across multiple assets) where the math looks like: EMA > (VWAP - .2).... to put EMA within 20cents range of VWAP for example. I am not a professional coder, nor have I created any alerts or scanners for my indicators so I cannot assist more than this at the moment. Maybe someone wants to take the idea and run with it

@smvatkar Here is your template basically. Now just have to add scanning or alerts/labels to identify specifically what you are looking for
Code:
# VWAP w/ MovingAvgCrossover

#Created by TradebyDay
#

input price1 = close;

def cap = getAggregationPeriod();
def errorInAggregation =
    timeFrame == timeFrame.DAY and cap >= AggregationPeriod.WEEK or
    timeFrame == timeFrame.WEEK and cap >= AggregationPeriod.MONTH;
assert(!errorInAggregation, "timeFrame should be not less than current chart aggregation period");

def yyyyMmDd = getYyyyMmDd();
def periodIndx;
switch (timeFrame) {
case DAY:
    periodIndx = yyyyMmDd;
case WEEK:
    periodIndx = Floor((daysFromDate(first(yyyyMmDd)) + getDayOfWeek(first(yyyyMmDd))) / 7);
case MONTH:
    periodIndx = roundDown(yyyyMmDd / 100, 0);
}
def isPeriodRolled = compoundValue(1, periodIndx != periodIndx[1], yes);

def volumeSum;
def volumeVwapSum;
def volumeVwap2Sum;

if (isPeriodRolled) {
    volumeSum = volume;
    volumeVwapSum = volume * vwap;
    volumeVwap2Sum = volume * Sqr(vwap);
} else {
    volumeSum = compoundValue(1, volumeSum[1] + volume, volume);
    volumeVwapSum = compoundValue(1, volumeVwapSum[1] + volume * vwap, volume * vwap);
    volumeVwap2Sum = compoundValue(1, volumeVwap2Sum[1] + volume * Sqr(vwap), volume * Sqr(vwap));
}
def price = volumeVwapSum / volumeSum;
def deviation = Sqrt(Max(volumeVwap2Sum / volumeSum - Sqr(price), 0));

plot VWAP = price;

input length = 50;
input length2 = 50;
input length3 = 50;
input displace = 0;

assert(length > 0, "'length' must be positive: " + length);

def EMA = compoundValue(1, EMA[1] + 2 / (length + 1) * (price1[-displace] - EMA[1]), price1[-displace]);
def EMA2 = compoundValue(1, EMA2[1] + 2 / (length2 + 1) * (price1[-displace] - EMA2[1]), price1[-displace]);
def EMA3 = compoundValue(1, EMA3[1] + 2 / (length3 + 1) * (price1[-displace] - EMA3[1]), price1[-displace]);

plot LegacyEMA = EMA;
plot LegacyEMA2 = EMA2;
plot LegacyEMA3 = EMA3;

VWAP.setDefaultColor(getColor(0));
LegacyEMA.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(1));
LegacyEMA2.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(2));
LegacyEMA3.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(3));
# End Code

@tradebyday Thanks a lot. I added your code to TOS and have the 3 emas and vwap as shown in the image below.
Now the real challenge is to add the code that can define the proximity of the 3 ema's and vwap within a given range in $ and use this defined range to trigger an alert (or auto refresh scanner).

EBQjE5K.jpg

Hello I would like some help creating a scan when the weekly VWAP crosses above or below the monthly VWAP either a column or scan.

@Piper2808t You can already do that without a script. Just head over to the Stock Hacker > Add new Study filter > and setup a condition like this.

4YOn69J.png

Attachments

• 4YOn69J.png
    4YOn69J.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 90