Daily Watchlist of Stocks Discussion for ThinkOrSwim

MerryDay

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
Lifetime
Frequently Asked Questions About Daily Watchlist of Stocks:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/daily-watchlist-of-stocks-to-day-trade-weekly-options.1023/

Criteria:
Only a select and curated list of mostly large cap tech stocks are watched.
Here is the watchlist @BenTen and @MasterSteve use https://tos.mx/aulPuHR
The below scan is run after hours.

Timeframe:
This strategy is for scalp trading only. @MasterSteve says:
I expect to see a move the very next day, or I’m out of the trade.

Direction:
There is no expressed direction in the watchlist.
You need to use indicators such as Support&Resistance, Trend/Momentum, and Volume in your attempt to determine the sentiment.

Scanner:
To scan for the pattern called Blast-Off. Use the study found here:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/blast-off-indicator-for-thinkorswim.621/page-8#post-119487
Scan for Arrow is true
We set up a scanner with that list and set the condition to be if the blastoff indicator is True. Then it'll print out a list of the expected movers for the next day.

Watchlist
For those just starting out, @MasterSteve recommends:
We come up with the watchlist every day using the blastoff indicator https://usethinkscript.com/threads/blast-off-indicator-for-thinkorswim.621/ on our tech watchlist (https://tos.mx/aulPuHR)

We've found that if a stock appears on this watchlist, it is very likely to move the next day. There are thousands of opportunities to make money every day in the stock market. Our goal was to make a limited watchlist with the most likely movers so it would be easier to make money. People could take this, watch just a couple stocks, and enter according to their own risk tolerance.

Yeah, a typical scalp trade I'll take either end of week or the next week expiration. I usually like to enter at the money and out of the money plays, usually for a quick 15 min- 3 hour play at the most. I don't much pay attention to delta at the time. I don't intend on waiting a long time for the play to develop, just looking for quick move.

I would keep with in the money or close to the money strikes with at least a couple weeks out to play it safe until you get more familiar with trading. I've found going too far out of the money on a subweekly timeframe can lead to account blow ups quick.
Read more here: https://usethinkscript.com/threads/daily-watchlist-of-stocks-to-day-trade-weekly-options.1023/

Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

@MasterSteve, options newbie here. What's your usual strike price/ delta for this intraday watchlist?
Hi @pyeatienza , I'd say that depends on your risk/profit tolerance. I would keep with in the money or close to the money strikes with at least a couple weeks out to play it safe until you get more familiar with trading. I've found going too far out of the money on a subweekly timeframe can lead to account blow ups quick.

Watchlist for July 8th, 2021

GS
DIS
FDX
MSFT
NKE
WMT
Have you or your team ever considered counting the number of times your stock picks breached the Expected Moves up or down. It would be interesting if you could put together a strategy that ID'd on the chart the breaches almost like entry and exit points on a chart for a stock strategy and then let the ToS report tell us how many breaches we had and in what direction, up or down. Too many breaches, stay away, fewer breaches buy Credit Spreads and short Iron Condors. Just saying

Have you or your team ever considered counting the number of times your stock picks breached the Expected Moves up or down. It would be interesting if you could put together a strategy that ID'd on the chart the breaches almost like entry and exit points on a chart for a stock strategy and then let the ToS report tell us how many breaches we had and in what direction, up or down. Too many breaches, stay away, fewer breaches buy Credit Spreads and short Iron Condors. Just saying
I should have started by telling you what an excellent effort you are making in helping everyone succeed. Thanks

The intention of this watchlist is to bring possible stock moves to my attention for further investigation. I'm not sure if we could get enough valuable data to see trends just based off the appearance on this list, but I have been using other scans on thinkorswim for a strategy similar to what you're referring to.

i just wish we had a sense of which direction its gonna run
Yeah I know. One bad trade could eat up the profit from the others. I am sure they will come up with a way to determine the direction. My problem is using Robin Hood. I have to purchase and then go back in to place a stop loss. I signed up with E Trade which has the trailing stop loss and much easier, but there is a commission fee.

Yeah I know. One bad trade could eat up the profit from the others. I am sure they will come up with a way to determine the direction. My problem is using Robin Hood. I have to purchase and then go back in to place a stop loss. I signed up with E Trade which has the trailing stop loss and much easier, but there is a commission fee.
There are plenty of better brokerages to use with either no or very low commission fees. I like using tastyworks and they actually have customer support :)