Custom Time Frame Continuity Labels

grapetux

Hey folks. I'm hoping to get some help coding a custom time frame label showing when the current price if above or below the opening price of a 12 hour candle.

I always run my charts with EXT Hours on, showing all the available price date for equities and futures fyi.

This is nod to the STRAT time frame continuity trading concepts. Ideally I would want a single label showing when:

- the current price is trading above or below the midnight open.. (first 12 hour bar : 0000 - 1200)
-the current price is trading above or below the 2nd 12hr hour bar ( 1300 - 2400)

I place trades on lower time frame charts when the 12 hour and 30 min candles are in alignment.

One thing I've noticed, on futures charts.. when you run a 12hr chart with EXT hour on.. it actually pulls the price starting at 1am not actually midnight.

Running an hourly chart with EXT hours on will in fact pull the midnight opening price, not 1am.

Its easy to go in and manually adjust the price by editing the candle itself, but was hoping to have it done automatically if at all possible.

Appreciate any help, enjoy the 3 day weekend

-Cheers

Hey folks. I'm hoping to get some help coding a custom time frame label showing when the current price if above or below the opening price of a 12 hour candle.

I always run my charts with EXT Hours on, showing all the available price date for equities and futures fyi.

This is nod to the STRAT time frame continuity trading concepts. Ideally I would want a single label showing when:

- the current price is trading above or below the midnight open.. (first 12 hour bar : 0000 - 1200)
-the current price is trading above or below the 2nd 12hr hour bar ( 1300 - 2400)

I place trades on lower time frame charts when the 12 hour and 30 min candles are in alignment.

One thing I've noticed, on futures charts.. when you run a 12hr chart with EXT hour on.. it actually pulls the price starting at 1am not actually midnight.

Running an hourly chart with EXT hours on will in fact pull the midnight opening price, not 1am.

Its easy to go in and manually adjust the price by editing the candle itself, but was hoping to have it done automatically if at all possible.

Appreciate any help, enjoy the 3 day weekend

-Cheers

This might help. It uses the TOS volumeprofile indicator to define the high/low for the timeframes (12 Hours) input. It plots these on the chart with lines and values, along with optional labels and bubbles.

Screenshot-2023-02-21-091203.png
Code:
#VolumeProfile_2_TradingZones_ProfileHigh_ProfileLow

input zone1begin  = 0000;
input zone1end    = 1300;

def tradingzones  = if SecondsFromTime(zone1begin) >= 0 and SecondsTillTime(zone1end) > 0
                    then 1
                    else 2;
def cond          = tradingzones[1] != tradingzones;

input onExpansion = no;
input profiles    = 4;

profile vol = VolumeProfile("startNewProfile" = cond, "onExpansion" = onExpansion, "numberOfProfiles" = profiles, "pricePerRow" = PricePerRow.TICKSIZE, "value area percent" = 0);
def con = CompoundValue(1, onExpansion, no);

def hProfile = if IsNaN(vol.GetHighest()) and con then hProfile[1] else vol.GetHighest();
def lProfile = if IsNaN(vol.GetLowest()) and con then lProfile[1] else vol.GetLowest();
def plotsDomain = IsNaN(close) == onExpansion;

plot ProfileHigh = if plotsDomain then hProfile else Double.NaN;
plot ProfileLow = if plotsDomain then lProfile else Double.NaN;

DefineGlobalColor("Profile", GetColor(1));
DefineGlobalColor("Point Of Control", GetColor(5));
DefineGlobalColor("Value Area", GetColor(8));

ProfileHigh.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
ProfileLow.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
ProfileHigh.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(3));
ProfileLow.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(3));

input showlabels = yes;
def Zone1H = if tradingzones == 1 then ProfileHigh else Zone1H[1];
def Zone1L = if tradingzones == 1 then ProfileLow else Zone1L[1];
AddLabel(showlabels, "0000-1300 | H: " + astext(Zone1H) + " L: " + astext(Zone1L), Color.WHITE);
def Zone2H = if tradingzones == 2 then ProfileHigh else Zone2H[1];
def Zone2L = if tradingzones == 2 then ProfileLow else Zone2L[1];
AddLabel(showlabels, "1300-2400 | H: " + astext(Zone2H) + " L: " + astext(Zone2L), Color.CYAN);

input showbubbles = yes;
addchartBubble(showbubbles and cond != cond[-1], profilehigh, astext(profilehigh), if tradingzones ==1 then color.white else color.cyan);
addchartBubble(showbubbles and cond != cond[-1], profilelow, astext(profilelow), if tradingzones ==1 then color.white else color.cyan, no);

Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.