Creating script for candle height body height

chackiejan

Hello, I'd like to use a script that marks all candles with body height greater than 50% of the candle height (wick to wick) with a star on top. And mark all the candles with less than 50% of body height candle height with the high price on top of that candle. I'd like to use this on any chart on TOS.

Solution
Hello, I'd like to use a script that marks all candles with body height greater than 50% of the candle height (wick to wick) with a star on top. And mark all the candles with less than 50% of body height candle height with the high price on top of that candle. I'd like to use this on any chart on TOS.

See if this helps

Capture.jpg
Ruby:
def bodyheight = if BodyHeight() > (high - low) * .5 then 1 else 0;

AddChartBubble(bodyheight, high, "*", Color.YELLOW);
AddChartBubble(!bodyheight, high*1.001, AsText(high), Color.WHITE);

See if this helps

Capture.jpg
Ruby:

AddChartBubble(bodyheight, high, "*", Color.YELLOW);
AddChartBubble(!bodyheight, high*1.001, AsText(high), Color.WHITE);

Solution

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

See if this helps
That works perfectly. Should have mentioned Low of that non star candle as well for puts. If you look at when the * candle closes above the high of the non star candle, it is considered as a break out, and the price often tests the high of the previous non star candle. Can I have the breakout star candle turn the color of the star box from yellow to green when its bullish and red when its bearish? The condition is that the * candle closes above the high of the preceeding non star candles when its bullish - and candle closes below the low the preceeding non star candle when its bearish.

Last edited:
Take this options chart for example, 380C $SPY after the dump. The * candle I have written breakout on top - and the previous non start candle high we put up an order that the next candle low picked up and went ahead.
usetos.png

Take this options chart for example, 380C $SPY after the dump. The * candle I have written breakout on top - and the previous non start candle high we put up an order that the next candle low picked up and went ahead.
usetos.png

Since the *bubble is yellow, I changed the bubble color to green/red from yellow as the candles are already green/red.

Capture.jpg
Ruby:

def breakup = if bodyheight and !bodyheight[1] and
                 close[1] > open[1] and close > open and
                 low > low[1] and high > high[1]
              then 1 else 0;
def breakdn = if bodyheight and !bodyheight[1] and
              close[1] < open[1] and close < open and
              low < low[1] and high < high[1]
              then 1 else 0;
AddChartBubble(bodyheight, high,
               if breakup
               then "UP\n *"
               else if breakdn
               then "DN\n *"
               else "*",
               if breakup
               then Color.GREEN
               else if breakdn
               then Color.RED else Color.YELLOW);

AddChartBubble(!bodyheight, high * 1.001, AsText(high), Color.WHITE);
AddChartBubble(!bodyheight, low * .999, AsText(low), Color.WHITE, no);

item.png

Thank you! I do think some of the values arent quite right, for eg . the up at 10:50am should not come because the previous high wasnt broken by the close. Also the candle at 11:30 should have given an up. $AMZN chart from today

item.png

Thank you! I do think some of the values arent quite right, for eg . the up at 10:50am should not come because the previous high wasnt broken by the close. Also the candle at 11:30 should have given an up. $AMZN chart from today
Try changing the code yourself as I used high instead of close in comparison to high[1] and low instead of close in comparison to low[1] and see if that fixes your issue. If not, then let me know if you run into problems. If you can fix it, then please post it for others to view.

Thank you, I was able to change to "close", however it is still not correct. Also it doesn't come in 14:40 candle in the chart when the BO was above the high.

Code:

def breakup = if bodyheight and !bodyheight[1] and

close[1] > open[1] and close > open and

low > low[1] and high > close[1]

then 1 else 0;

def breakdn = if bodyheight and !bodyheight[1] and

close[1] < open[1] and close < open and

low < low[1] and high < close[1]

then 1 else 0;

AddChartBubble(bodyheight, high,

if breakup

then "UP\n *"

else if breakdn

then "DN\n *"

else "*",

if breakup

then Color.GREEN

else if breakdn

then Color.RED else Color.YELLOW);

AddChartBubble(!bodyheight, high * 1.001, AsText(high), Color.WHITE);

AddChartBubble(!bodyheight, low * .999, AsText(low), Color.WHITE, no);
item2.png

, it doesn't come in 14:40 candle in the chart when the BO was above the high.

if you look at the chart, then look at each part of the formula for breakup, and work out which parts are true and which are false, you will see that,

breakup wasn't triggered at 14:40 because you have a condition that tests if the previous bar was up,
. close[1] > open[1]
and it was wasn't , it was a red bar.

if the direction of the previous bar doesn't matter, then remove that part of the formula.

----------------------------------

to fix the study as you desire, an offset of 1 will need to be added to all variables.
if you want to check when close is greater than some number, but ignore the high of that bar, you will have to wait until that bar is closed, then look back and compare it to the bar before it.
but then the triggers will be 1 bar later, not on the triggered bar.

Code:
def bodyheight = if BodyHeight() > (high[0] - low[0]) * .5 then 1 else 0;

def prev_breakup = if bodyheight[1] and !bodyheight[2] and
 close[2] > open[2] and close[1] > open[1] and
 low[1] > low[2] and high[1] > high[2]
 then 1 else 0;

def prev_breakdn = if bodyheight[1] and !bodyheight[2] and
 close[2] < open[2] and close[1] < open[1] and
 low[1] < low[2] and high[1] < high[2]
 then 1 else 0;

#def breakup = prev_breakup[-1];
#def breakdn = prev_breakdn[-1];

def breakup = prev_breakup[0];
def breakdn = prev_breakdn[0];

input test = yes;
AddChartBubble(test and bodyheight, high+0.5,
    if breakup then "UP\n *"
    else if breakdn then "DN\n *"
    else "*",
    if breakup then Color.GREEN
    else if breakdn then Color.RED
    else Color.YELLOW);
#

I'm not sure thats a good idea - I'll skip the breakout, however it would be great to have the * be green if its a bull candle and red if it's a bear candle - and the high and low of the strong 50% candles as well for a more visual understanding.