Countdown Clock to bar close in ThinkorSwim?

anycolour

Hey guys. I've been using tick charts and I like that it tells you how many ticks have passed in the formation of a new 1k tick candle (you can count how many are left until a new candle forms). In the attached screenshot, it says 960, that means 960 trades/ticks have been made in that candle (meaning 40 remain to fully form that candle, and then a new candle will be formed with another 1k ticks/trades).

I want to do that with the 5m chart (time chart, not tick).
Is there an indicator that could tell me the remaining minutes and seconds until the formation of a new 5m candle? A countdown for the formation of 5 minute candles. Thank you!

bUTSDS9.jpg

Attachments

• bUTSDS9.jpg
    bUTSDS9.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 562
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there is a timer for when the current bar is closing. However, you can use the clock at the top left-hand corner. That's what I've been using to check for the remaining time before the next candle starts forming.

c6ZJaF1.png

Attachments

• c6ZJaF1.png
    c6ZJaF1.png
    103 KB · Views: 146

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

My screen is normally very full, and having something like this with the seconds would really help me out as a day trader. I know that you can see the time on the top left corner of the screen in TOS, but I don't use that window as I need to have other tabs or programs open. This script would be of immense help if possible!

@rmmorgan Just a thought but have you considered a simple independent timer App that you could float anywhere on your screen... Might be easier and more accurate than code... TOS doesn't have any actual timer functions and due to that you would not get an accurate candle countdown timer painted onscreen... With an independent timer you could, for example, set it to cycle candle times... Once you see a new candle you'd click Start and then it would cycle every x minutes... Your time would probably be better served searching for such a timer than trying to code an accurate timer in Thinkscript... Timers for different timeframes might be somewhat problematic, however...

Just my two cents...

@rmmorgan Just a thought but have you considered a simple independent timer App that you could float anywhere on your screen... Might be easier and more accurate than code... TOS doesn't have any actual timer functions and due to that you would not get an accurate candle countdown timer painted onscreen... With an independent timer you could, for example, set it to cycle candle times... Once you see a new candle you'd click Start and then it would cycle every x minutes... Your time would probably be better served searching for such a timer than trying to code an accurate timer in Thinkscript... Timers for different timeframes might be somewhat problematic, however...

Just my two cents...
yeah of course I would use something like that, but I can't find any timer that doesn't get minimized if I click at the program behind it unfortunately

hi, does anyone have a custom indicator that would put a label somewhere in the chart showing the remaining time left in the candle before it closes? for example, a 1 minute candle will start at 60 seconds and then 59, 58, 57, etc until the next candle and the count starts again.

If you look at the Video, the trader has a timer that show the second in real time of the stock market, in the top left corner, showing in orange and black.
Can we do such a thing preferably in a bubble or label
There is nothing built-in that TOS has to do a countdown timer. TOS did one for tick charts to countdown ticks, but not time charts.

Here is a link to a thread here that has many third party products that mostly don't work well, as you have to manually try to sync them with your chart. https://usethinkscript.com/threads/countdown-to-bar-close-in-thinkorswim.1056/post-45035

I want to start with I read through the threads regarding 'Timers' and I did not see a bar timer. I am learning to trade the NQ and I am looking for a bar timer for the candles. One feature of the timer is that it can sit next to the candle that if forming (I hope that makes sense). If this particular times does not exist. Is there a template for making a script to do this. As a non computer program I am thinking 'its a count down clock I may be able to do it myself' with some help. Thank you