Adaptive Zones with Wave Oscillator for Momentum For ThinkOrSwim

Chemmy

5cRBkR4.png

Hi all, so I just happened to be scanning TradingView and found the Lux Algo -- thought it looked interesting so I came on here, and saw this discussion. Here is my first attempt at coding this, using a combination of the Adaptive Zones study and the Wave Oscillator study. This is an upper study, but I included the Wave Oscillator in the lower area for reference. It allows options for signals from both studies, but the signals are based on having signals from BOTH studies fire off within 3 candles of each other.

This is my first longer indicator I've coded, so any feedback/criticism is more than welcome.

Code:
# Adaptive Zones with Wave Oscillator for Momentum
# Adaptive Price Zone by BenTen at useThinkScript.com
# Converted from https://www.tradingview.com/script/eoz8cGtU-Adaptive-Price-Zone-Indicator/
# Wave oscillator by LazyBear on TV... I think

input nPeriods = 200;
input nBandPct = 3;
input price = close;
input showAdaptive = no;

def xHL = high - low;
def nP = ceil(sqrt(nPeriods));
def xVal1 = expAverage(expAverage(close, nP), nP);
def xVal2 = expAverage(expAverage(xHL, nP), nP);
def UpBand = nBandPct * xVal2 + xVal1;
def DnBand = xVal1 - nBandPct * xVal2;

plot ub = UpBand;
plot db = DnBand;

ub.AssignValueColor(color.CYAN);
db.AssignValueColor(color.MAGENTA);

## Adaptive bands rejection/cross signals
def uppies =  price > dnband and low[1] <= dnband;
def downies = price < upband and high[1] >= upband;
def downsig =  downies and (downies[1] is false and downies[2] is false and downies[3] is false
     and downies[4] is false and downies[5] is false);
def upsig = uppies and (uppies[1] is false and uppies[2] is false and uppies[3] is false
     and uppies[4] is false and uppies[5] is false);

plot crossArrowsUp = upsig and showAdaptive;
crossArrowsUp.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
crossArrowsUp.SetDefaultColor(Color.green);
crossArrowsUp.SetLineWeight(1);

plot crossArrowsDn = downsig and showAdaptive;
crossArrowsDn.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);
crossArrowsDn.SetDefaultColor(Color.red);
crossArrowsDn.SetLineWeight(1);

## Wavetrend Oscillator section
input Channel_Length = 10; #10
input Average_Length = 21; #10
def over_bought_1 = 60;
def over_bought_2 = 53;
def over_sold_1 = -60;
def over_sold_2 = -53;

input show_wave_alerts = no;
def ap = hlc3;
def esa = ExpAverage(ap, Channel_Length);
def d = ExpAverage(AbsValue(ap - esa), Channel_Length);
def ci = (ap - esa) / (0.015 * d);
def tci = ExpAverage(ci, Average_Length);
def wt1 = tci;
def wt2 = SimpleMovingAvg(wt1, 4);

## Wave Signal Logic
def signal1 = wt1 crosses above wt2 and wt1 < over_sold_2;
def Signal = if signal1  then (signal1 * over_sold_2) else Double.NaN;

def signal2 = wt1 crosses below wt2 and wt1 > over_bought_2;
def Signal2_ = if signal2  then (signal2 * over_bought_2) else Double.NaN;

plot wave_up = if show_wave_alerts and signal1  then (signal1 * over_sold_2) else Double.NaN;
wave_up.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
wave_up.SetDefaultColor(Color.light_green);
wave_up.SetLineWeight(1);

plot wave_down = if show_wave_alerts and signal2  then (signal2 * over_bought_2) else Double.NaN;
wave_down.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);
wave_down.SetDefaultColor(Color.red);
wave_down.SetLineWeight(1);

def full_sig_up = (signal is true and upsig) or (signal is true and upsig[1]) or (signal is true and upsig[2])
     or (signal is true and upsig[3]) or (upsig and signal[1] is true) or (upsig and signal[2] is true)
     or (upsig and signal[3] is true);

plot Long = full_sig_up;
Long.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
Long.SetDefaultColor(Color.dark_green);
Long.SetLineWeight(5);

def full_sig_dn = (signal2_ is true and downsig) or (signal2_ is true and downsig[1]) or (signal2_ is true
    and downsig[2]) or (signal2_ is true and downsig[3]) or (downsig and signal2_[1] is true)
     or (downsig and signal2_[2] is true) or (downsig and signal2_[3] is true);

plot Short = full_sig_dn;
Short.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);
Short.SetDefaultColor(Color.dark_red);
Short.SetLineWeight(5);

great job! a quick favor, can you share this chart system with that? thanks in advance
Alright, so thanks to @MerryDay I've finally got this figured out lol-- here's my current test environment chart: http://tos.mx/9uf5ri3

I know it may be a bit more than what was previously shown, but this one encompasses most of the elements I want to eventually bring into the study. I looked at the actual Lux Algo guide and there are many elements to it, but the main two I want to capture are
1. Contrarian alerts to alert reversals (i.e. the ones from the initial/previous study)
2. Confirmation alerts to confirm strength (i.e. the ATR cloud + the gap study included)

I also did remove several label studies as they are exclusive to VIP members (the Stock Rater, MTF labels, and CandleStick Trend labels) -- but I did keep the ADX labels by @Christopher84 included as well as his Confirmation Candles labels, as there are many great elements to that study including the labels that have inspired some of the elements of my work. And no, as far as I'm aware nothing in here repaints after candle close.

Let me know your thoughts! And feel free to test different parameters on different time frames, I haven't gotten to a lot just yet.

Rk2rdIC.png

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

5cRBkR4.png

Hi all, so I just happened to be scanning TradingView and found the Lux Algo -- thought it looked interesting so I came on here, and saw this discussion. Here is my first attempt at coding this, using a combination of the Adaptive Zones study and the Wave Oscillator study. This is an upper study, but I included the Wave Oscillator in the lower area for reference. It allows options for signals from both studies, but the signals are based on having signals from BOTH studies fire off within 3 candles of each other.

This is my first longer indicator I've coded, so any feedback/criticism is more than welcome.

Code:
# Converted from https://www.tradingview.com/script/eoz8cGtU-Adaptive-Price-Zone-Indicator/

input nPeriods = 200;
input nBandPct = 3;
input price = close;
input showAdaptive = no;

def xHL = high - low;
def xVal1 = expAverage(expAverage(close, nP), nP);

plot ub = UpBand;
plot db = DnBand;

def downsig =  downies and (downies[1] is false and downies[2] is false and downies[3] is false
def upsig = uppies and (uppies[1] is false and uppies[2] is false and uppies[3] is false

def over_bought_1 = 60;
def over_bought_2 = 53;
def over_sold_1 = -60;
def over_sold_2 = -53;

def ap = hlc3;
def wt1 = tci;

## Wave Signal Logic

plot wave_up = if show_wave_alerts and signal1  then (signal1 * over_sold_2) else Double.NaN;

plot wave_down = if show_wave_alerts and signal2  then (signal2 * over_bought_2) else Double.NaN;

def full_sig_up = (signal is true and upsig) or (signal is true and upsig[1]) or (signal is true and upsig[2])
     or (signal is true and upsig[3]) or (upsig and signal[1] is true) or (upsig and signal[2] is true)

plot Long = full_sig_up;
Long.SetLineWeight(5);

def full_sig_dn = (signal2_ is true and downsig) or (signal2_ is true and downsig[1]) or (signal2_ is true
    and downsig[2]) or (signal2_ is true and downsig[3]) or (downsig and signal2_[1] is true)

Short.SetLineWeight(5);
Thank you. My early research indicates that the 3 minute time frame is where this indicator performs best. I often trade in 1 and occasionally 2 minute intervals. Are there any input settings that should be changed for optimal performance in one or two minute time frames?. Thank you

Thank you. My early research indicates that the 3 minute time frame is where this indicator performs best. I often trade in 1 and occasionally 2 minute intervals. Are there any input settings that should be changed for optimal performance in one or two minute time frames?. Thank you
So I'm still working on this indicator but I probably designed it with a bit of bias on the 3 minute, given that that's where I usually trade. However, for the 1 or 2 minute time frame I think your best bet would be to adjust the "n periods" or "n band pct" parameters to be slightly higher -- mainly because the adaptive zones are the more conservative half of this study anwyays. Here is SPY from friday on the 1 minute time frame, with "n periods" = 150 and "n band pct" = 3. All other settings should be default here, let me know your thoughts if you try it!
Bn9pMww.png

So I'm still working on this indicator but I probably designed it with a bit of bias on the 3 minute, given that that's where I usually trade. However, for the 1 or 2 minute time frame I think your best bet would be to adjust the "n periods" or "n band pct" parameters to be slightly higher -- mainly because the adaptive zones are the more conservative half of this study anwyays. Here is SPY from friday on the 1 minute time frame, with "n periods" = 150 and "n band pct" = 3. All other settings should be default here, let me know your thoughts if you try it!
Bn9pMww.png
great job! a quick favor, can you share this chart system with that? thanks in advance

Bn9pMww.png
Thank you very much

I think your best bet would be to adjust the "n periods" or "n band pct" parameters to be slightly higher -------As the new n period setting of "150" is lower than the previous setting of "200," you are implying a little lower value for the 1 minute time frame. Is that true?. I'll give it a go with these updated settings and let you know what I think.
Thanks

Thank you very much

I think your best bet would be to adjust the "n periods" or "n band pct" parameters to be slightly higher -------As the new n period setting of "150" is lower than the previous setting of "200," you are implying a little lower value for the 1 minute time frame. Is that true?. I'll give it a go with these updated settings and let you know what I think.
Thanks
Yes sorry, you're correct, so as I said I'm still playing with the parameters here a lot -- since I didn't build either individual study, it may be better to ask @BenTen for his opinion on things pertaining to say, the Adaptive Zones portion on lower time frames. But as always, whatever works best in your own personal experience after testing is best! There's a lot of stuff I still want to add to this study so I'll be updating as I can.

Hey, I wouldn't mind doing this at all --I've never shared a whole grid/chart system though! If you could point me to instructions/help me with it I'd be happy to.

Alright, so thanks to @MerryDay I've finally got this figured out lol-- here's my current test environment chart: http://tos.mx/9uf5ri3

I know it may be a bit more than what was previously shown, but this one encompasses most of the elements I want to eventually bring into the study. I looked at the actual Lux Algo guide and there are many elements to it, but the main two I want to capture are
1. Contrarian alerts to alert reversals (i.e. the ones from the initial/previous study)
2. Confirmation alerts to confirm strength (i.e. the ATR cloud + the gap study included)

I also did remove several label studies as they are exclusive to VIP members (the Stock Rater, MTF labels, and CandleStick Trend labels) -- but I did keep the ADX labels by @Christopher84 included as well as his Confirmation Candles labels, as there are many great elements to that study including the labels that have inspired some of the elements of my work. And no, as far as I'm aware nothing in here repaints after candle close.

Let me know your thoughts! And feel free to test different parameters on different time frames, I haven't gotten to a lot just yet.

Rk2rdIC.png
Much appreciated!

By any chance, have you taken a look at the trend tracer and catcher off their “LuxAlgo Premium” indicator?

Hey, I wouldn't mind doing this at all --I've never shared a whole grid/chart system though! If you could point me to instructions/help me with it I'd be happy to.
I want to use your indicator on a higher time frame

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to use your indicator on a higher time frame
Here is a MTF version of the adaptive zones with wave oscillator for momentum:
qVJbSzp.png

Ruby:
#### --->  MTF VERSION <---  ###

input agg = AggregationPeriod.DAY;

input nPeriods = 200;
input nBandPct = 3;
def price = close(period = agg);
input showAdaptive = no;

def xHL = high(period = agg) - low(period = agg);
def xVal1 = expAverage(expAverage(price, nP), nP);

plot ub = UpBand;
plot db = DnBand;

def over_bought_1 = 60;
def over_bought_2 = 53;
def over_sold_1 = -60;
def over_sold_2 = -53;

def ap = hlc3(period = agg);
def wt1 = tci;

## Wave Signal Logic

plot Long = full_sig_up;
Long.SetLineWeight(5);

Short.SetLineWeight(5);

Last edited:
Here is a MTF version of the adaptive zones with wave oscillator for momentum:
qVJbSzp.png

Ruby:
#### --->  MTF VERSION <---  ###

input agg = AggregationPeriod.DAY;

input nPeriods = 200;
input nBandPct = 3;
def price = close(period = agg);
input showAdaptive = no;

def xHL = high(period = agg) - low(period = agg);
def xVal1 = expAverage(expAverage(price, nP), nP);

plot ub = UpBand;
plot db = DnBand;

def over_bought_1 = 60;
def over_bought_2 = 53;
def over_sold_1 = -60;
def over_sold_2 = -53;

def ap = hlc3(period = agg);
def wt1 = tci;

## Wave Signal Logic

plot Long = full_sig_up;
Long.SetLineWeight(5);

Short.SetLineWeight(5);
thanks