Changing the calculation of an indicator at a point

Human

I would like to change the formula used for an indicator at a certain point. Let's say I am using a moving average. That is the first indicator. I want to change the formula 19 days in the past from the current day. This would roll forward as time passes so the standard moving average would always end 20 days ago and the new formula would extend to the present bar. Visually, the past 19 days would be slightly different from the final shape we would see twenty days ago and before that. I understand how to shift the moving average back 20 days. That is the easy part. What I don't know is how to start the second indicator 19 days ago and extend to the current bar. The second formula would be similar so visually it would look like one seamless indicator with no break between the two formulas. Is this possible? Are there any examples of something like this? I have searched for this, but I might not know what terms to use in my search.

Solution
I would like to change the formula used for an indicator at a certain point. Let's say I am using a moving average. That is the first indicator. I want to change the formula 19 days in the past from the current day. This would roll forward as time passes so the standard moving average would always end 20 days ago and the new formula would extend to the present bar. Visually, the past 19 days would be slightly different from the final shape we would see twenty days ago and before that. I understand how to shift the moving average back 20 days. That is the easy part. What I don't know is how to start the second indicator 19 days ago and extend to the current bar. The second formula would be similar so visually it would look like one...
I would like to change the formula used for an indicator at a certain point. Let's say I am using a moving average. That is the first indicator. I want to change the formula 19 days in the past from the current day. This would roll forward as time passes so the standard moving average would always end 20 days ago and the new formula would extend to the present bar. Visually, the past 19 days would be slightly different from the final shape we would see twenty days ago and before that. I understand how to shift the moving average back 20 days. That is the easy part. What I don't know is how to start the second indicator 19 days ago and extend to the current bar. The second formula would be similar so visually it would look like one seamless indicator with no break between the two formulas. Is this possible? Are there any examples of something like this? I have searched for this, but I might not know what terms to use in my search.

this will plot 1 line, that has data from one signal, and the last part is from a different signal.
the transisition bar is x bars before the last bar on the chart.
set the chart time to desired time, like days.

this uses 2 averages for test data.

can draw the original dat lines and a vertical line on transition bar.

Code:
# chg_formula_0

#https://usethinkscript.com/threads/changing-the-calculation-of-an-indicator-at-a-point.15653/
#Changing the calculation of an indicator at a point

def na = double.nan;
def bn = barnumber();

input barsback = 19;

#def lastbar = !isnan(close[0]) and isnan(close[-1]);

#---------------------------
# test data , 2 averages

def price = close;

input avg1_len = 9;
input avg1_type =  AverageType.EXPONENTIAL;
def avg1 = MovingAverage(avg1_type, price, avg1_len);

input avg2_len = 21;
input avg2_type =  AverageType.simple;
def avg2 = MovingAverage(avg2_type, price, avg2_len);

input show_lines = no;

plot z1 = if show_lines then avg1 else na;
z1.setdefaultcolor(getcolor(2));
#z1.setlineweight(1);
z1.hidebubble();

plot z2 = if show_lines then avg2 else na;
z2.setdefaultcolor(getcolor(4));
#z2.setlineweight(1);
z2.hidebubble();

#---------------------------

def data1 = avg1;
def data2 = avg2;

# define a bar that is x bars from last bar
def t = if !isnan(getvalue(close, -(barsback+0))) and isnan(getvalue(close, -(barsback+1))) then 1 else 0;

def x;
def state;
if bn == 1 then {
 x = data1;
 state = 1;
} else if isnan(close) then {
 x = na;
 state = 0;
} else if t or state[1] == 2 then {
 x = data2;
 state = 2;
} else {
 x = data1;
 state = 1;
}

input show_combined_signal = yes;
plot z = if show_combined_signal then x else na;
z.setdefaultcolor(color.cyan);
#z.setlineweight(1);
z.hidebubble();

input show_transistion_bar = no;
addverticalline(show_transistion_bar and t, "-", color.white);

#

Solution

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.