API Trading w/ Thinkorswim

coding the back end order management for day trading is not that difficult? However that is where most who try to automate trading fail

Not sure what you mean by 'most' - plenty of firms do it everyday. If you mean a one man/woman band creating their own code, and with limited cash AND unable to sustain some losses along the learning curve, sure, its impossible.

Which is why I suggested earlier to read VIRT's IPO, and other disclosures on how they operate to understand the infrastructure required, before thinking about trying it. As always, the Devil is in the details, such as, their credit lines, their staff , trading levels etc and the other article which describes their road to success.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Its not that difficult, depending on your committed capital size. But probably not something a 20 yearold should try from Mom's basement

Or, you could simply buy VIRT stock - check out their chart since mid_February - they benefit directly from higher volumes, wider bid/ask and volatility.
I have the money as well as working tos strategy's. I'm just looking for extra income while I'm in school because I'm trying to learn, not trade during class. Also VIRT does look good but what does that have to do with any of this.

was only talking to the name of the thread "Has anyone here ever tried to algorithmically trade? was thinking this was a question towards the individual,

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the money as well as working tos strategy's. I'm just looking for extra income while I'm in school because I'm trying to learn, not trade during class. Also VIRT does look good but what does that have to do with any of this.

VIRT is a major player and their disclosures are a unique insight into the algo and HFT market.

Good morning, a favor, I am also new to this forum, I am trying to do a study but I am a beginner in the programming language, and much more in thinkscript, I am trying to read the price or real value live, but the only tool What I found was "close", but this gives me the price of the closing of each bar, and I want to read the price at all times, someone can help me by indicating the function for this.
thanks.

First of all: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful with automated trading. It is not for everyone and takes a lot of work to keep running and to make money. Don't jump into this without experience trading manually. Depending on your strategy, your may run out of day trades pretty quickly and should probably should have a cash account. Use this art your own risk with the understanding that if you use it the consequences are on you.

Attached is a link to a git repo for those that want to utilize and automated trading bot through TOS. My partner and I made the program and strategies and when I say my partner and I, I mean he did 99.999% of the work. I think I have mainly just been there for moral (and demoralized) support.

We both thought we would share this with the community that has helped us with some successful strategies.

I will say this: If you have questions, I will forward them to my partner because all I know about coding is that I can't put white out on the screen when I make a mistake.

Other than that I politely ask two things:

1: If you make the code better, please "fork" it in github so we can make it better for all of us. Also, I don't know what fork means.

2: My partner (who is like Rain Man with a laptop) has worked upwords of a 1000 hours on this program. If you could donate a dollar or two to him on buymecoffee at the bottom of the github, I know he would appreciate it. I don't get, want, or deserve any of the money.

Without further ado:

https://github.com/TreyThomas93/python-trading-bot-with-thinkorswim

Last edited:
@kimber_da Could you please edit your first post to include a warning about the extreme risks of automated trading... We are getting a lot of new members signing up who could potentially get in way over their heads should they try automated trading... While it may be a great concept, automated trading is nothing to play with if you don't fully understand the risks as well as the code involved... Better safe than sorry... 💡

Edited to add: After fully reviewing the GitHub documentation it would probably be well beyond most traders ability to implement this system anyway... I've been doing IT work for 30+ years, working in too many programming languages (including low level assembly language) and environments to count, and probably wouldn't invest the time and effort required myself... Adding in overhead of monthly expenses would push even more members out of the realm... Neat concept just the same... A lot of thought and effort has gone into this... Just a bit on the geeky side...

Last edited:
@kimber_da I like it. I've seen other respositories leveraging the TD API, but this is the first version I've seen that attempts to leverage the user-side of ThinkOrSwim. (There are reports that TD had a prior platform that allowed full automation, so this feature is intentionally missing from ThinkOrSwim, as best as I can tell.)

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I have a question and I apologize if this sounds extremely basic but, how do I create another "Database" with in the cluster? Im very excited to see what this does and analyze it for myself whether it works in my trading that or not. I know there is something to learn :). I am an experienced trader. Nonetheless, I am not a coder. I understand some of the functions and am open to learning how to code. For now, I just need that basic info. Maybe there is something Im not seeing. Thanks for taking a second to answer my post.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I have a question and I apologize if this sounds extremely basic but, how do I create another "Database" with in the cluster? Im very excited to see what this does and analyze it for myself whether it works in my trading that or not. I know there is something to learn :). I am an experienced trader. Nonetheless, I am not a coder. I understand some of the functions and am open to learning how to code. For now, I just need that basic info. Maybe there is something Im not seeing. Thanks for taking a second to answer my post.
I am the creator of this program, and let me tell you, if you are not familiar with programming, then you should not attempt to implement this until you have a good foundation in programming. This is an intermediate to advanced level program.

That being said, I can at least advise you on database creation for your cluster.

When you create a cluster in Mongo using the GUI, you need to click on the cluster name within your projects. Once in your cluster, there is a button that says Create Database. Click that, give your database a name, and insert some data just to temporarily fill it, and your good.

I will ask my partner and see what he says. Like I said, I know next to nothing about code.

I have banged my head against the wall with TD Ameritrade API for a while. It works most of the time, but reliability is not perfect.

What I don't like the most is that they don't allow trades for Futures.