Anyone Algorithmic Trading In ThinkorSwim?

T

TexasTraderWayne

With TD commissions in the past being way to high to consider developing automated trading systems with I used a few years using Trade-stations Easy language then I spent over 5 years using Ninja trader. One thing I discovered after creating and testing , back-testing , walk-forward testing , mont-carlo testing and many others types of testing was that commissions play a significant role in automated strategies. Is anyone here trading completely automated I was wondering. Because I call TD Ameritrade today and asked them about algo trading and if they still support it and I could tell I was talking to a seasoned service person and even they had to ask around lol. With the new zero commissions it is very tempting to knock the dust off a few off my Ninja algos that took high frequency trades but were not viable due to high commissions and convert them to think script. Ninjatrader is about 10000000000000000 light years ahead of any other trading and indicator development system but unfortunatly when in the past I connected it TD Ameritrade via the API it was getting nightmarish executions on orders so I had to end that.
My question is is there anyone here that hands off algo trade? or is everyone just testing their trading ideas to enter manually?

D

diazlaz

2019 Donor
VIP
@TexasTraderWayne welcome to the forum. I done both and can share some feedback and approaches. We should connect in the near future and discuss. if you have a specific trading plan in mind can see if there is a way to port it or semi-automate components of it..

Best!

Last edited:
T

TinkerScripter

I am not sure but I think you use your own software or someone else's software to send your buy and sell orders through the API to TOS. I don't believe Thinkscript is involved. I know you cannot do automated trades in TOS or with thinkscript on the TOS platform. And you cannot trade futures through the API.
This is from TOS support: "I have double checked this and it looks as though the products tradable through API programs are currently, stocks, etfs, options and index options. Unfortunately futures would not be available at this time. Sorry for any inconvenience."

A

adii800

I am not sure but I think you use your own software or someone else's software to send your buy and sell orders through the API to TOS. I don't believe Thinkscript is involved. I know you cannot do automated trades in TOS or with thinkscript on the TOS platform. And you cannot trade futures through the API.
This is from TOS support: "I have double checked this and it looks as though the products tradable through API programs are currently, stocks, etfs, options and index options. Unfortunately futures would not be available at this time. Sorry for any inconvenience."
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
I have a consistent strategy on thinkorswim and was banking on trading futures. That's a real bummer, thanks for the info tho.