Pre-Market Questions & Answers

J007RMC

2019 Donor
Make sure your column is set to an intraday aggregation and extended hours is checked on.

Code:
#begin
#Hint: Displays After Hours & Pre Market change as a  percentage in custom column.
#WaterFrontTrader

#07/20/12: Initital Release
#08/13/12: Fixed to include pre-market and extended session

#"Show Extended Session" should be active on your chart

def Post = secondsFromTime(1600);
def Pre = secondsTillTime(930);
def Closed  = Post >=0 or Pre>=0;
def DayClose = if (Post>=0,close(period = "Day"),close(period = "Day")[1]);
#NN note:modified close to use ask
def Change = close(priceType = "ASK") - DayClose;
def Percent = round(((close - DayClose)/DayClose)*100);

plot change1 = percent;
change1.assignValueColor (color.BLACK);
assignBackgroundColor(if close< dayclose then color.red else if close>dayclose then color.green else color.current);
#end

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great! I'll be trying this out tomorrow morning.

I don't know. I pasted this code into a Custom Quotes column. Set the period for 1 hour and made sure Extended Hours trading was enabled. I got nothing but NAN for two days. Kind of disjointed,. as I think such an indicator would be ideal for knowing which stocks are going to GAP UP or DOWN the most.

Now... on Saturday, I tried setting the Period to Day, and I get all zeros!! I think it's working now. Seems to only work for the Day period. Hopefully I'll get some real numbers on Monday.

PS: Let me know if anybody gets this working on the shorter time frames.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

@Townsend Hmm...That's interesting. I would assume the opposite since the Daily chart doesn't display after-hours and pre-market data. Let us know how it goes for you on Monday.

Monday morning, pre-market: no numbers. Nothing. But, bid/asked is not showing up on any of my charts, even though I'm looking at highlighted Extended Hours candles. Also, the regular %Change column on my Watchlist shows all zeros as well. So... maybe the problem is not the indicator, but rather some system wide or account problem. Do I have to have my TD account activated for extended hours trading?

If you are using Bid/ask intraday timeframe, e.g. 1 min depending on how you program the study you should usually see some numbers.
Make sure you test for NaN and you should be okay. All bets are off if you use daily aggregation

Here is an example of a Bid/Ask watchlist that does work fine on a 1 min chart

Code:
# Bid Ask Watchlist
# Mobius
# 2.26.2019

# aggregation must be less than daily

plot data = (((bid()+ask())/2-close from 1 bars ago)*100)/close from 1 bars ago;
def up = data > 0;
def down = data < 0;
data.assignValueColor(if up then color.dark_green else if down then color.red else color.yelloW);

Last edited:
May are reporting issues with this, I took a shot at it and could get it to work,

Below is the code,

Rich (BB code):
#begin
#Hint: Displays After Hours & Pre Market change as a  percentage in custom column.
#WaterFrontTrader

#01/29/19: theelderwand: Fixed for latest version.

plot Change = ask() - DayClose;

Change.AssignValueColor (Color.BLACK);
AssignBackgroundColor(if Change < 0 then Color.LIGHT_RED else if Change > 0 then Color.LIGHT_GREEN else color.current);
#end
#Make sure your column is set to Day aggregation

Shareable link: https://tos.mx/Xxl2TSg

Settings
WEI9iY4.png

Screenshots
MRnzFou.png

hafpJd9.png

Hi - I am looking to plot a shaded box in my ToS with the premarket prices as the upper and lower bounds, shaded in between. However, these bounds should be limited to the high and low prices of the equity between 6:00am and 9:20am EST. My code is below, and I can't get it to work. Would love some help. (I realize code below is incomplete)

Code:
plot Data = close;

#defines PRE mkt hours I want to use as:
input openingESTime  = 0600.0;
input openingTime  = 0920.0;

def isDaily = If (GetAggregationPeriod() == AggregationPeriod.DAY, yes, no);

def isPreMarket = If (GetDay() == GetLastDay() and SecondsTillTime(openingTime) <300, yes, no);
input LineWidth = 1;
def na = Double.NaN;

def isBelowDaily = If (GetAggregationPeriod() < AggregationPeriod.DAY, yes, no);
def isToday = If (GetDay() == GetLastDay() and SecondsFromTime(openingESTime) >= 300, yes, no);
def day = GetDay();

def PMopenBar = day != day[1];
def PMOpen = if PMopenBar then open else PMOpen[1];

AddCloud(PMopenBar,PMopenBar);

This what you're looking for?
Code:
#
# see https://usethinkscript.com/threads/how-to-get-current-days-premarket-high.695/
#
declare once_per_bar;

input PlotPreMktLinesHrsPastOpen = yes;
input ShowChartBubbles = yes;

def bar = BarNumber();
def nan = Double.NaN;
def vHigh = high;
def vLow = low;

def PMhrs = RegularTradingStart (GetYYYYMMDD()) > GetTime();
def RMhrs = RegularTradingStart (GetYYYYMMDD()) < GetTime();
def PMStart = RMhrs[1] and PMhrs;
def PMHigh = CompoundValue(1, if PMStart then vHigh else if PMhrs then Max(vHigh, PMHigh[1]) else PMHigh[1], 0);
def PMLow = CompoundValue(1, if PMStart then vLow else if PMhrs then Min(vLow, PMLow[1]) else PMLow[1], 0);
def highBar = if PMhrs and vHigh == PMHigh then bar else nan;
def lowBar = if PMhrs and vLow == PMLow then bar else nan;
def PMHighBar = if bar == HighestAll(highBar) then PMHigh else PMHighBar[1];
def PMLowBar = if bar == HighestAll(lowBar) then PMLow else PMLowBar[1];

plot PMH =  if PlotPreMktLinesHrsPastOpen and PMHighBar != 0
            then PMHighBar
            else nan;
plot PML =  if PlotPreMktLinesHrsPastOpen and PMLowBar != 0
            then PMLowBar
            else nan;

AddChartBubble(ShowChartBubbles and bar == HighestAll(highBar),
  PMHigh,
  "PM High",
  Color.Gray,
  1);

AddChartBubble(ShowChartBubbles and bar == HighestAll(lowBar),
  PMLow,
  "PM Low",
  Color.Gray,
  0);

AddCloud(PMH , PML , COLOR.GRAY);

# end of script

Agreed. This is terrific @tradebyday and thank you.

TWO follow-up questions.

1 - Can we change the time frame? Like, maybe have it paint at 915 or 900?

2 - Do you think there is a way to turn it into a scan?

Something to alert and say:
A) "These stocks just crossed the PM High or PM Low"
and/or
B) "These stocks just moved away from the PM High by 10%"

That way, we could see if things are going nuts before the open as a possible opportunity.

I will let someone else tag in for those changes, this was not my code, but modified it to have the cloud as requested. I am not too familiar wit setting up scans personally as I do not use them myself

Code:
#begin
#WaterFrontTrader

#01/29/19: theelderwand: Fixed for latest version.

def Change = (ask() + bid())/2 - DayClose;
def Percent = round((Change/DayClose)*100);

plot Percent1 = percent;

Percent1.AssignValueColor (Color.BLACK);
AssignBackgroundColor(if Percent < 0 then Color.LIGHT_RED else if Percent > 0 then Color.LIGHT_GREEN else color.current);
#end
#Make sure your column is set to an intraday aggregation and extended hours is checked on.

This displays it in percent. does anyone know how to concatenate the % sign at the end of the display?

Last edited:
So this is not elegant. But I figured the closes I can do is this for a search column to see pre market change, I want to see if premarket is rising or falling. And this at least gives me an idea. I was trying to figure out how to set 4 am open and subtract close at 9:30 am and could not get it to work. Then tried to do day open minus 11 30 minute bars, and could not figure out the script. So went with difference of a 4 hour bar close and prior 4 minute bar close. This would have to be looked at like an hour before market open but at least it can easily show trend in a column.

Code:
plot change = Round(((CLOSE("period" = AggregationPeriod.FOUR_HOURS)-close("period" = AggregationPeriod.FOUR_HOURS)[1])/(close("period" = AggregationPeriod.FOUR_HOURS)[1]))*100, 2);

AssignBackgroundColor(if change > 0 then Color.DARK_GREEN else Color.DARK_RED);

@J007RMC Hello. What can be changed in the script so that it displays changes in the price of the postmarket. Quite often, strong price changes occur on the postmarket, especially in cheap stacks. Thank you!

Does anyone know how to incorporate mark % change into a scan? Mark % change is the only % change that changes during pre-market but there's no way by default to use that in a scan. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Edit: Why was my post moved to this thread? I was asking regarding a Scan, this thread is in regards to a column in a watchlist

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone just use this its simple and a lot easier to read.
Here's my code for the 3 columns
bdT70N6.png

Column 1 - PM % Change - 1m Time Frame CHECK "included Extended Hours"
Code:
# Follow @Nick_Peist on Twitter
# 1m Time Frame CHECK "included Extended Hours"
def prevday=if getlastDay()==2 and getday()==365 then 1 else if getDay()<getlastDay() then 1 else 0;
def close1= if secondsfromTime(1200)>0 and secondsFromTime(1600)<0 and prevday then close else close1[1];
def prevclose = if SecondsTillTime(1559) == 0 then close else prevclose[1] ;
def last =if secondsFromTime(0930)<0 then  close else last[1];
plot pvc=close1;
plot last1=last;
def change=if last==0 then 0 else  (last-close1)/close1;
addlabel(yes,round(change,2)*100+" %",color.black);
assignBackgroundColor(if change>0 then color.green else if change<0 then color.red else color.black);

Column 2 - PM High - 1m Time Frame CHECK "included Extended Hours"
Code:
def isRollover = GetYYYYMMDD() != GetYYYYMMDD()[1];
def beforeStart = GetTime() < RegularTradingStart(GetYYYYMMDD());
def hi = if isRollover and beforeStart then high else if beforeStart and high>hi[1] then high else hi[1];
addlabel(yes,hi);
#plot PreMarketVolume = vol;;

Column 3 - AH % Change - 1m Time Frame CHECK "included Extended Hours"
Code:
def today=getday()==getlastDay();
def close1= if secondsfromTime(1200)>0 and secondsFromTime(1600)<0  then close else close1[1];
def change= (close(pricetype=pricetype.last)/close1)-1;
addlabel(yes,round(change*100,0)+"%",if change>0 then color.green else color.red);