Vertical Lines for Asian, European and US Markets For ThinkOrSwim

Branch

I would like to have a (ThinkScript) vertical line created each day for the Asian, European and US Markets open and close. Does anyone have one available to share?

Hello, Can anyone please help me with a thinkscript that can draw a vertical line on any chart as a study for any given random date and time? The times for a given day will vary at random and are definitely not the same every day. Also, the times will be fine-grained only to a minute level. I want to generate a study based on some inputs for dates and times. But, in order to do that, I need this thinkscript that can draw a vertical line at any given date and time. If I extend the horizontal time scaling I should be able to see the vertical lines for future trading days as well. I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

I need help with adding a vertical line all across the chart with adjustable time and color for example every half hour or one hour a vertical line placement. I tried the TOS learning center but didn't succeed. Thanks

I need help with adding a vertical line all across the chart with adjustable time and color for example every half hour or one hour a vertical line placement. I tried the TOS learning center but didn't succeed. Thanks

Plot Vertical Lines at specified time.

Code:
declare lower;
#Plot Vertical Lines at specified time
script IsTime {
    input time = 0000;
    plot IsTime = SecondsFromTime(time)[1] < 0 and SecondsFromTime(time) >= 0;
}

input time1 = 0700;
input time2 = 0930;
input time3 = 1200;
input time4 = 1400;

DefineGlobalColor("Time1", GetColor(1));
DefineGlobalColor("Time2", GetColor(1));
DefineGlobalColor("Time3", GetColor(5));
DefineGlobalColor("Time4", GetColor(5));

AddVerticalLine(IsTime(time1), Floor(time1 / 100) + ":" + AsText(time1 % 100, "%02.0f"), GlobalColor("Time1"));
AddVerticalLine(IsTime(time2), Floor(time2 / 100) + ":" + AsText(time2 % 100, "%02.0f"), GlobalColor("Time2"));
AddVerticalLine(IsTime(time3), Floor(time3 / 100) + ":" + AsText(time3 % 100, "%02.0f"), GlobalColor("Time3"));
AddVerticalLine(IsTime(time4), Floor(time4 / 100) + ":" + AsText(time4 % 100, "%02.0f"), GlobalColor("Time4"));

@XeoNoX

I worked on this issue for a while and settled for the code below. As long as you work with a consistent intraday aggregation or set up a switch to choose the aggregation period, which I don't need, this method works fine. I trade a 1 minute chart and want vertical lines every 15 minutes.

If you figure out a better way, let me know. Thx, Bob

Code:
#@rlohmeyer
#TimeLines
input BarNo = 1;
input Plus = 15;
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno,"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + plus ,"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 2),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 3),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 4),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 5),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 6),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 7),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 8),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 9),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 10),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 11),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 12),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 13),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 14),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 15),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 16),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 17),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 18),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 19),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 20),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 21),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 22),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 22),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 23),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 24),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 25),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(barnumber() == barno + (plus * 26),"",Color.white,curve.short_DASH);

my philosophy is if it works for what you need it to do then it works. if it looks good for you then it looks good for me :ROFLMAO:
some people would argue shorter code is better and cleaner and preffered (which it is) but in my books unless they are willing to provide it then i dont think anyone will argue with what you accomplished. Congrats on getting it to work @rlohmeyer

If you figure out a better way, let me know. Thx, Bob

Here is another way you might find helpful
Code:
#Vertical Line at minutes interval
#Sleepyz
input minutes = 15;
input begin   = 0930;
input end     = 1600;

def bar       = if SecondsTillTime(begin) == 0 and
                   SecondsFromTime(begin) == 0
                then 0
                else bar[1] + 1;

input showverticalline = yes;
AddVerticalLine(if showverticalline  and SecondsFromTime(begin) >= 0 and secondsfromTime(end)<=0
                then bar % (ceil(minutes) / (GetAggregationPeriod() / 60000)) == 0
                else Double.NaN,
                color = Color.BLUE, stroke = Curve.FIRM);

Here is another way you might find helpful
Code:
#Vertical Line at minutes interval
#Sleepyz
input minutes = 15;
input begin   = 0930;
input end     = 1600;

then 0
                else bar[1] + 1;

input showverticalline = yes;
AddVerticalLine(if showverticalline  and SecondsFromTime(begin) >= 0 and secondsfromTime(end)<=0
                then bar % (ceil(minutes) / (GetAggregationPeriod() / 60000)) == 0
                else Double.NaN,
                color = Color.BLUE, stroke = Curve.FIRM);

Very useful study, thanks for sharing it (y) @SleepyZ

Wondering if you could help add an audio alert & label that triggers 5 min before each new line is plotted. So for example, let´s say i use a 5min chart and have input minutes set to 60. Then i would like the audio alert to trigger at 11:55AM, 12:55PM, 1:55PM etc. and the label will show during this 5min window and then disappear after the crossing into new hour.

Very useful study, thanks for sharing it (y) @SleepyZ

Wondering if you could help add an audio alert & label that triggers 5 min before each new line is plotted. So for example, let´s say i use a 5min chart and have input minutes set to 60. Then i would like the audio alert to trigger at 11:55AM, 12:55PM, 1:55PM etc. and the label will show during this 5min window and then disappear after the crossing into new hour.
See if this helps. To meet your request, the times started were changed by using the 'script time'. Options are included to show vertical lines, alert, bubble, and/or label.

Code:
#Vertical Lines at minutes intervals, Alert, Label and Bubble Options
#Usethinkscript @zeek request
#Sleepyz

script time {

input minutes = 60;
    input begin   = 0930;
    input end     = 1600;

then 0
                else bar[1] + 1;
    plot interval = if SecondsFromTime(begin) >= 0 and SecondsFromTime(end) <= 0
                then bar % (Ceil(minutes) / (GetAggregationPeriod() / 60000)) == 0
                else Double.NaN;
}

input showverticalline1 = yes;
AddVerticalLine(if showverticalline1 
                then  time(60, begin = 900)
                else Double.NaN,
                "", Color.CYAN);
input showverticalline2 = yes;
AddVerticalLine(if showverticalline2 
                then  time(60, begin = 855)
                else Double.NaN,
                "", Color.CYAN);

def duration   = time(60, begin = 855);
input usealert = yes;
Alert(usealert and duration, "5 Minutes", Alert.BAR, Sound.Chimes);

input showlabel = yes;
AddLabel(showlabel and duration, "5 Minute Alert", Color.RED);

input showbubble = yes;
AddChartBubble(showbubble and IsNaN(close[-1]) and duration, high, "5 Minute Alert", Color.RED);

Plot Vertical Lines at specified time.

Code:
declare lower;
#Plot Vertical Lines at specified time
script IsTime {
    input time = 0000;
    plot IsTime = SecondsFromTime(time)[1] < 0 and SecondsFromTime(time) >= 0;
}

input time1 = 0700;
input time2 = 0930;
input time3 = 1200;
input time4 = 1400;

DefineGlobalColor("Time1", GetColor(1));
DefineGlobalColor("Time2", GetColor(1));
DefineGlobalColor("Time3", GetColor(5));
DefineGlobalColor("Time4", GetColor(5));

AddVerticalLine(IsTime(time1), Floor(time1 / 100) + ":" + AsText(time1 % 100, "%02.0f"), GlobalColor("Time1"));
AddVerticalLine(IsTime(time2), Floor(time2 / 100) + ":" + AsText(time2 % 100, "%02.0f"), GlobalColor("Time2"));
AddVerticalLine(IsTime(time3), Floor(time3 / 100) + ":" + AsText(time3 % 100, "%02.0f"), GlobalColor("Time3"));
AddVerticalLine(IsTime(time4), Floor(time4 / 100) + ":" + AsText(time4 % 100, "%02.0f"), GlobalColor("Time4"));

Hello @XeoNoX , nice study!

How can i add an audio alert and label for the line plots? Would like the alert & label to trigger 5min before plot and stay active until plot and then disappear. I tried adding the last lines of codes from post #49 but it doesn´t seem to work with your code. Would really appreciate if you can help me add this.

Hello @XeoNoX , nice study!

How can i add an audio alert and label for the line plots? Would like the alert & label to trigger 5min before plot and stay active until plot and then disappear. I tried adding the last lines of codes from post #49 but it doesn´t seem to work with your code. Would really appreciate if you can help me add this.
Here is an example of code needed to be added for each alert, label you want:

Code:
alert(istime(1155), "5 min ", alert.bar, sound.bell);
addlabel(istime(1155), "5 min ", color.red);

See if this helps. To meet your request, the times started were changed by using the 'script time'. Options are included to show vertical lines, alert, bubble, and/or label.

Code:
#Sleepyz

script time {

input minutes = 60;
    input begin   = 0930;
    input end     = 1600;

then 0
                else bar[1] + 1;
                else Double.NaN;
}

then  time(60, begin = 900)
                else Double.NaN,
                "", Color.CYAN);
input showverticalline2 = yes;
AddVerticalLine(if showverticalline2
                then  time(60, begin = 855)
                else Double.NaN,
                "", Color.CYAN);

def duration   = time(60, begin = 855);
input usealert = yes;
Alert(usealert and duration, "5 Minutes", Alert.BAR, Sound.Chimes);

input showlabel = yes;
AddLabel(showlabel and duration, "5 Minute Alert", Color.RED);

input showbubble = yes;
AddChartBubble(showbubble and IsNaN(close[-1]) and duration, high, "5 Minute Alert", Color.RED);

Hi,

I tried to change this to a 15minute time frame, but it doesn't work properly.

In the code below, I bolded the things that I changed...but unfortunately, it's still a no go.

Can someone please help with their expertise?

Thank you!

script time {

input minutes = 15
input begin = 0930;
input end = 1600;

def bar = if SecondsTillTime(begin) == 0 and
then 0
else bar[1] + 1;
then bar % (Ceil(minutes) / (GetAggregationPeriod() / 15000)) == 0
else Double.NaN;

Hi,

I tried to change this to a 15minute time frame, but it doesn't work properly.

In the code below, I bolded the things that I changed...but unfortunately, it's still a no go.

Can someone please help with their expertise?

Thank you!

script time {

input minutes = 15
input begin = 0930;
input end = 1600;

def bar = if SecondsTillTime(begin) == 0 and
then 0
else bar[1] + 1;
then bar % (Ceil(minutes) / (GetAggregationPeriod() / 15000)) == 0
else Double.NaN;

See if this helps.

This will plot a vertical line every 15 bars beginning at 930. Time is a script (like an indicator) that you use as shown in the code below where you define the inputs separately from the script. You can define them as was done with an input minutes = 15; or within time()) for the begin time changed to 0930.

Capture.jpg
Ruby:
#Sleepyz

script time {

input minutes = 60;
    input begin   = 0930;
    input end     = 1600;

then 0
                else bar[1] + 1;
                else Double.NaN;
}

input minutes = 15;
                then  time(minutes, begin = 930)
                else Double.NaN,
                "", Color.CYAN);

See if this helps.

This will plot a vertical line every 15 bars beginning at 930. Time is a script (like an indicator) that you use as shown in the code below where you define the inputs separately from the script. You can define them as was done with an input minutes = 15; or within time()) for the begin time changed to 0930.

Hi @SleepyZ - I just tried doing this, but unfortunately this didn't to show the lines every 15 minutes.
The first two lines after 9:30am are drawn at incorrect intervals, which throws off the subsequent lines on the day.

Do you have any other suggestions, please?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi @SleepyZ - I just tried doing this, but unfortunately this didn't to show the lines every 15 minutes.
The first two lines after 9:30am are drawn at incorrect intervals, which throws off the subsequent lines on the day.

Do you have any other suggestions, please?

Thanks

The above is dependeent upon bars, so if any bars are missing (usually on lightly traded symbols( then that code does not work well. Here is a brute force method using the secondsfromtime() function, which will plot a vertical line if there is a time on the chart with those in the code.

Capture.jpg
Ruby:
input show_verticallines = yes;
defineGlobalColor("V",color.white);
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(0930)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(0945)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1000)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1000+15*1)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1000+15*2)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1000+15*3)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1100)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1100+15*1)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1100+15*2)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1100+15*3)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1200)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1200+15*1)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1200+15*2)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1200+15*3)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1300)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1300+15*1)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1300+15*2)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1300+15*3)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1400)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1400+15*1)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1400+15*2)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1400+15*3)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1500)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1500+15*1)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1500+15*2)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1500+15*3)==0,"",globalColor("V"));
addverticalLine(show_verticallines and secondsFromTime(1600)==0,"",globalColor("V"));

Thanks again @SleepyZ !

one last things, please - how to make the vertical lines solid instead of dotted?

I tried a few different ways of doing it - such as .SetStyle(Curve.FIRM), but to no avail.

Any suggestions with this?

Thanks again @SleepyZ !

one last things, please - how to make the vertical lines solid instead of dotted?

I tried a few different ways of doing it - such as .SetStyle(Curve.FIRM), but to no avail.

Any suggestions with this?
It is part of the addverticalline() function.
Ruby:
input show_verticallines = yes;
DefineGlobalColor("V", Color.WHITE);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(0930) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(0945) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1000) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1000 + 15 * 1) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1000 + 15 * 2) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1000 + 15 * 3) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1100) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1100 + 15 * 1) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1100 + 15 * 2) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1100 + 15 * 3) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1200) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1200 + 15 * 1) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1200 + 15 * 2) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1200 + 15 * 3) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1300) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1300 + 15 * 1) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1300 + 15 * 2) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1300 + 15 * 3) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1400) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1400 + 15 * 1) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1400 + 15 * 2) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1400 + 15 * 3) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1500) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1500 + 15 * 1) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1500 + 15 * 2) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1500 + 15 * 3) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(show_verticallines and SecondsFromTime(1600) == 0, "", GlobalColor("V"), Curve.FIRM);

All great studies, but is it possible to display vertical lines on a given X time day chart. I would like to set x as a changeable number of day bars. These would match the Kihon Suchi series of numbers 9, 17, 26, 33, 42, 65, 76, 129, 172, 200, 257. These are use along with ichimoku to plot time price cycles. Thanks in advanced

All great studies, but is it possible to display vertical lines on a given X time day chart. I would like to set x as a changeable number of day bars. These would match the Kihon Suchi series of numbers 9, 17, 26, 33, 42, 65, 76, 129, 172, 200, 257. These are use along with ichimoku to plot time price cycles. Thanks in advanced
Unfortunately no, we have nothing like that on the forum

Here is an example of code needed to be added for each alert, label you want:

Code:
alert(istime(1155), "5 min ", alert.bar, sound.bell);
addlabel(istime(1155), "5 min ", color.red);

Hey @SleepyZ

In addition to the chartlabel, can you also help me with the code for a chartbubble for the 5min alert above?
I tried myself by adding the code below but it doesn´t seem to work

Code:
AddChartBubble(istime(1155), "5 min ", color.red);